Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Book wrongly catalogued

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter King | 2 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

The ISBN given here is for Volume 2 of the Anthology, which (unsurprisingly) has more than two pages (402, in fact).

I don't have the Penguin book, which is given as another edition, but it seems unlikely that Penguin would have issued Volume 2 under the general title of the two-volume anthology.

(Incidentally, I applied to become a librarian about three weeks ago; how long does it normally take for applications to be processed?)

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter King | 2 comments This is almost unique in not having had a response; is there a reason?

message 3: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments I didn't reply because it wasn't immediately clear what needs doing, and I rarely have the time to do this much research based on "that book is wrong, fix it", I need more info to go on.

In any case, I just spent 40 odd minutes establishing: This is volume 2, the penguin edition is volume 1, this is not the 1965 printing (because it has an isbn) although I can't figure out which printing or edition it actually is, because the ISBN has survived 3 other editions and 2 more publishers since Grove. However, they do all seem to agree on having 476 pages, not 2.

If you have the book in hand though, we can argue the page count, and you can tell me precisely which publisher and year your specific one is.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5755 comments Hi Peter it looks like the complete set was mistakenly combined with Vol 2, so I have separated. I can't see the page numbers on World Cat though. It's late here (I'm in NZ) so I'll have another look tomorrow.

As to becoming a librarian, it is my understanding this is rarely granted to authors. You will have an ability to do some edits on your own works though. :)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5755 comments Sorry KrazyKiwi, we crossed over!

message 6: by Peter (last edited Jul 26, 2016 04:11AM) (new)

Peter King | 2 comments I have the first edition, third printing of the paperback version of the book, yes (and mistyped the page number in my OP). The details of Volume 2 are:

"Anthology of Chinese Literature -- Volume 2: from the 14th Century to the Present Day"
Cyril Birch [ed.]
Grove Press, 1972
ISBN 0-394-17766-5
476pp

The first volume that I have (first edition, eleventh printing) is:

"Anthology of Chinese Literature: from early times to the fourteenth century"
Cyril Birch [ed.]
Donald Keene [asst ed.]
Grove Press, 1967
ISBN 0-394-17252-3
492pp

(Odd that authors can't be librarians -- but they might have let me know that when I applied...)