World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Just written to Amazon

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments I'm asking them why are reviews on Amazon limited to the site or country where they bought the book? Surely it would be easy for Amazon to allow the reviews to show up on all their sites. We would sell more books, thus Amazon would sell more books.

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15783 comments Yeah, it should be cross-Amazon really. For all I know (and I've checked few not all), below they give reference to Amazon.com site (US market) for more reviews. But I see no reason, why review from India shouldn't be helpful in Spain or Japan.
Maybe it's because of the 'verified purchase' feature, where a reviewer appears as 'verified' only at the market, where s/he actually purchased (or downloaded for free) the book. The same reviewer needs to post reviews without the same tag on other markets.

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Author page and book details are cross referenced on all national sites, I don't see why verification couldn't be as well. It's puzzling as it would be to Amazon's benefit. Hopefully they'll come back to me as say reviews will show across all platforms soon...?

But it's hard enough getting a review on the .co.uk site and to not have them showing up on .com is annoying.

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15783 comments Indeed.
For me the most annoying (but probably people are tired with my complaining about it), that I need to pass a 100 (any local currency) threshold in each and every market to get my fantastic 70% share of royalties. For many markets, it just never gonna happen ....

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments I don't know if it's true, but someone told me Amazon will begin to market your book in emails to readers who read similar genres once you hit 10 reviews. Is that true?

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15783 comments Can neither confirm nor deny -:)
The different quantities (10, 25, 50 etc) of reviews necessary for this or that is often rumored to signify something and open more opportunities.
Yet, many others say it's just a myth and nothing of the sort happens.
I have 18 reviews on the 1-st book, 23 on the 2-nd on .com market and I don't believe mine are being sent to anyone, unless someone looked at them previously. Then, Amazon cares to remind by sending an e-mail, however this happens also with regard to a 3-d book, which has less than 10 reviews....

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments When I hit 15 reviews for In Sights they did start offering the book to me to buy... :)

Someone on the KDP forum (the pain in the butt, NotJohn) has just come back to be suggesting foreign languages is the problem. I replied: "For them only to appear on .co.uk and not .com is seriously annoying. Also there's Canada, Australia and India. A review is a review and it is relevant to all English speaking countries. Also, they translate the book blurb into other languages and I'm sure they have an automated system for that, so why not reviews?"

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15783 comments Yeah, I'm also being offered to purchase my books regularly. Tempting as it sounds, but no thank you - I'm not sure I'll find anything new after so many iterations -:)
No, they actually don't translate anything (again I haven't visited all the markets). But still on German, Japan, Spanish, Dutch Amazons and probably on all the others - the blurb and every original description is still in the language you put. You can find War and Peace in English, Russian or Japanese, because that's the original language edition, but nothing is being translated by Amazon itself it seems

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments I doubt very much that Amazon is going to market a book with ten reviews, especially since Amazon has proven it is quite willing to question the legitimacy of a review. They would lose money on Kindle Marketing Services if they promoted your book based on such an easy criteria to meet.

message 10: by Tim (last edited Jul 24, 2016 05:21AM) (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Tara, on that note, Any idea which ad works best? The "Sponsored Products" or "Product Display Ads"? I've tried both and have had little success with either. My most effective advertising has been on Twitter.

message 11: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments Yeah I've seen a lot of rumors about the magic Amazon #, but I can at least confirm that it is not true about "also bought" lists. My books were showing up on "also bought" since they were published and had sales.

message 12: by M.L. (new)

M.L. It would be nice if the author profiles automatically showed up too but I don't believe they do.

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11532 comments I agree it is annoying to find relatively large amounts of money sitting in various Amazon offshoots. I had a friend who seemed excited she had sold a book to Amazon Italy. As I remarked, good luck getting anything back from that!

And yeah, Amazon often tells me I should buy one of my books. Unlikely to happen, since I have the original files, compiled for Kindle.

message 14: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments Here's my reply from Amazon Customer Care.

Hello,

Our Customer Reviews feature doesn't link reviews across Amazon.com and the International Amazon sites or ASINs. However, we do have a feature that spotlights reviews from Amazon.com on international Amazon websites for the same product. While the reviews are spotlighted, the votes and number of reviews don't count toward the total for the listings on international websites.

Thanks for taking the time to send us your comments on this issue. We’re continually working to improve the shopping experience and ensure we present useful information to customers. I have passed your message along to the team involved with future development of our Communities features. I know they will want to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the links below to tell us about your experience today.

Best regards,
Saadiqah J

There's a hope they may do it in the future... #sigh

message 15: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15783 comments Yeah, my inquiry was forwarded to business development department or something like that at the time-:)