Devon Book Club discussion

Archive > Devon Festivals

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3089 comments Mod
A new topic to start gathering experience from our local festivals. Ive posted elsewhere about Tiverton and Sidmouth but from now lets try and gather our shared experience in this folder.

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3089 comments Mod
Yesterday (23/7/16) I had a fantastic day at the North Devon Diversity Festival. Thanks to those of you who were able to drop by and say hello - great to put faces to names. Also met lots of interesting new people and made some great contacts which I will follow up.

Some big themes, reinforced for me - the power of books to connect across age, class and culture; the joy people find in books (especially excited children - lost in worlds of unbounded possibility) and the potential of our network for people who may be lonely, isolated or recovering from mental ill health or sudden trauma like stroke.

A lot of people showed interest in joining us so I am hoping we will see them follow up and continue to broaden this lovely community.

From the point of view of local authors (possibly because so many children came to talk to me with their parents) Cecilia Busby and Claire Barker were the most frequently mentioned so congratulations to them on what is possibly the greatest reward an author of children's books can have - to fire up the imagination and for their characters to live in the minds (and maybe even the real world) of children.

Thanks also to the Friends and staff of Barnstaple Library for their support and to North Devon Sunrise CIC for arranging such a fantastic day. So important in these uncertain times to celebrate difference and to find commonality. As Jo Cox MP (RIP) said - there is more in this world that unites than divides us.

I love what we are doing - connecting writers, readers, bookshops, festivals, libraries and more and, in a small way, helping to build a shared culture and a stronger community.

A few pictures in the photos library

message 3: by Ley (new)

Ley Holloway | 177 comments There were a few local authors at the Pilton Green Man Festival on Sat 16th. Mostly self published I think, Olly Tooley's new book was there along with Elana A. Mugdan, with her Dragon Speaker book, in full fancy dress.
Claire Barker was at the launch of the Big Friendly Read on the same day.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3089 comments Mod
Ley wrote: "There were a few local authors at the Pilton Green Man Festival on Sat 16th. Mostly self published I think, Olly Tooley's new book was there along with Elana A. Mugdan, with her Dragon Speaker book..."

Sorry I couldn't get there this year. Hope it went well

message 5: by Ley (new)

Ley Holloway | 177 comments Ian wrote: "Ley wrote: "There were a few local authors at the Pilton Green Man Festival on Sat 16th. Mostly self published I think, Olly Tooley's new book was there along with Elana A. Mugdan, with her Dragon ..."

I find those events a bit trying, too many people and too much alcohol, not a great combination. My choir were performing at the church so that's why I was there, some good music playing on a couple of the stages.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3089 comments Mod
Ley wrote: "Ian wrote: "Ley wrote: "There were a few local authors at the Pilton Green Man Festival on Sat 16th. Mostly self published I think, Olly Tooley's new book was there along with Elana A. Mugdan, with..."

It is certainly a busy event. Hope the choir event went well

message 7: by Ley (new)

Ley Holloway | 177 comments Ian wrote: "Ley wrote: "Ian wrote: "Ley wrote: "There were a few local authors at the Pilton Green Man Festival on Sat 16th. Mostly self published I think, Olly Tooley's new book was there along with Elana A. ..."

We got a standing ovation! Mostly prompted by a choir member's husband but still.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 527 comments Ley wrote: "Ian wrote: "Ley wrote: "Ian wrote: "Ley wrote: "There were a few local authors at the Pilton Green Man Festival on Sat 16th. Mostly self published I think, Olly Tooley's new book was there along wi..."

That's wonderful, Ley. What were you singing?

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3089 comments Mod
Ley wrote: "Ian wrote: "Ley wrote: "Ian wrote: "Ley wrote: "There were a few local authors at the Pilton Green Man Festival on Sat 16th. Mostly self published I think, Olly Tooley's new book was there along wi..."

Sounds fantastic - well done

message 10: by Carolyn (last edited Aug 19, 2017 03:15AM) (new)

Carolyn | 1 comments Our 2nd Shute Festival is coming up, 22nd - 24th September, take a look at what's on www.shutefest.org.uk a celebration of literature and the landscape, children's workshops and landscape walks. Shute is between Honiton and Axminster.

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3089 comments Mod
Thanks Carolyn - I missed this festival last year but I'm delighted to hear it went so well and that it's taking place again this year. Please keep us up to date with preparations and I'd be happy to shaer an material you send to me

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3089 comments Mod
Its the season for literary festivals - as well as Appledore and Shute the wonderful Budleigh Literary Festival runs from 13-17 September. Have you got your tickets yet? Details here of their great line-up https://www.budlitfest.org.uk/

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3089 comments Mod
Two festivals imminent - at Shute in East Devon and Appledore in North Devon , both starting this weekend - anyone going?