The Lord of the Rings The Lord of the Rings discussion

Is lord of the rings easy to read?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new) - added it

Steven Meyer I've seen the movies a lot of times, but never read the books. I want to read them, but I was wondering, are they hard to read?

Jacob If you're not a patient reader, I wouldn't recommend it. Tolkien studied linguistics and classics, which definitely shows in the work. There are times when it reads like an old-English epic - which was Tolkien's original intent - with stories-within-the-story, and lots of vivid descriptions which can feel tedious. The lore of the series runs very deep, and there are pages-long stretches where nothing very exciting happens, so it can feel like trudge at times. If you really want to read it, read one book at a time and take a break with something else, rather than reading the entire novel in one shot.

message 3: by Dylan (last edited Nov 07, 2016 12:59PM) (new) - added it

Dylan There is nothing particularly difficult about the book other than its being long and (in some people's experience) slow-paced.

If by "hard to read" you mean confusing, cryptic, complicated, or full of grammatical tricks and obscure vocabulary, then no -- it's not hard to read.

It's influenced by the classics, yes. But when you compare it to other notoriously hard-to-read books, it's extremely tame. No extended metaphors, deep psychological themes, or chapter-long digressions like Moby Dick. It doesn't have single sentences that that go on for several pages like Charles Dickens' work. You don't have to sift through stylized poetic language with a fine toothed comb to get the meaning out of it, like you do with Shakespeare.

It's actually very straightforward storytelling. Detailed, maybe, but Tolkien plays no tricks on you and gives you exactly what you need.

Preston I agree with both. Its true that you just need to be patient to fully appreciate the full scale of the plot. But the actual grammar and flow of the book is fine, Personally I found it an engaging read, but I'm weird like that. ;) Anyway, yea I would recommend reading just for the experience. If you aren't used to his style of writing than it's would (probably) be a good experience to have. If you already know you are an impatient reader than read it any way, because that would make me happy. :) Sorry I'm not usually this creepy, but I'm tired. (But seriously, try the books, they're really good.)

message 5: by Kaylen (new)

Kaylen I'm in the middle of the series right now, and I'm really enjoying it! There's a lot of backstory in the prologue, so if you aren't a patient reader, I'd recommend skipping that part. I would also recommend watching the movies first - it makes the book easier to follow along. Also, DON'T SPEED READ them. It will be very difficult if you miss anything. If you stick with it at the beginning and make it into the fun parts, you will not regret it. I've read The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and all the great modern adventure stories. These are the best yet! Do yourself a favor and read them!

Michelle I think it's a mixed bag of difficulty. Some parts are very straightforward but some parts take more effort because of following certain characters and story lines along the way plus the history of certain races or bloodlines. I don't think it's a book that you can just dip into, it's more of a book to settle yourself in a comfy chair with. I read it first at age 15 so it can't be very difficult :-) and again about 15 years later.

message 7: by Kaylen (new)

Kaylen Perfect description! Couldn't have said it better.