Play Book Tag discussion

84, Charing Cross Road
This topic is about 84, Charing Cross Road
17 views
July 2016: Biography Memoir > 84, Charing Cross Road/Hanff - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita Pomerantz | 6674 comments Well this was an unexpected delight!

The author, Helene Hanff, a New York playwright (well aspiring playwright might be more accurate), satisfies her love for books through a second hand bookstore in England at 84, Charing Cross Road. Ms. Hanff actually has a very British sense of humor (sharp-witted), and her correspondence reflects it. The recipient of her letters, Mr. Doel, tries to keep a very professional demeanor, but over time, the relationship becomes much more than mere sales transactions. Both Ms. Hanff's and Mr. Doel's true natures emerge through the correspondence which also includes other letters to round out the storytelling.

Without giving too much away, the story is just very sweet and touching and can be read in an hour or two. As evidenced by the fact that I read it in an hour or two.


Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2287 comments So glad you liked it!!


Nicole D. | 1496 comments I'm reading it right now too


Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6289 comments I knew you would like it!


Anita Pomerantz | 6674 comments Thank you, Barbara!

I saw, Nicole - - too funny! And we both liked it :).

BC, you were absolutely right. I really did like it.


Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I am loving all the love for this book thus month. I am so excited to see all the reviews.

On a sidenote, I lloked at the reviewx this month and did a little math. Now math and me don't always get along, but I think I am right this time. About 5% of the reviews are for this book, and 5% for In Between the World and Me. This definitely shows how PBT drives so many of us to read the same books.


message 7: by Anita (last edited Jul 24, 2016 06:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anita Pomerantz | 6674 comments Sara wrote: "I am loving all the love for this book thus month. I am so excited to see all the reviews.

On a sidenote, I lloked at the reviewx this month and did a little math. Now math and me don't always get..."


I love that you did a little analysis! I honestly believe that PBT drives 90% of my reading choices with the other 10% divided among my f2f book club and stuff highlighted by Amazon/best seller lists. And I'm happy about that because I feel like I am reading much better books the majority of the time. Over time my ratings have gone up, up - - and I think that is primarily because I'm getting much better recommendations.

But I'm glad it is by choice that we are reading the same thing and not because we "have to" as a requirement of PBT.


back to top