Time Travel discussion

General Time Travel Discussion > High profile theatre play turns out to be an all out epic time travel adventure! (Update: secrets out, its Harry Potter and the Cursed Child)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tej (last edited Jul 26, 2016 04:56AM) (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1728 comments Mod
I am quite in shock, and very dizzy after coming out of a London theatre play which has a fairly reasonable high profile.

Its a play I have been looking forward to see amongst a few others but this has never been advertised as a time travelling story and I certainly never suspected it would.

But oh man did it turn out to be a spectacularly full on time travel epic or what! Big production values, wonderful performances, clever stage effects, break-neck speed narrative and hugely entertaining.

So what's it called? That's my slight dilemma. It seems the time travel element has been kept a secret to surprise us. I get that but the play itself has a helluva lot more important shock twists than the reveal of time travel. Knowing there is time travel in this is a very mild spoiler...but I guess a spoiler nevertheless.

So I shall I tell you what the play is called in spoilers tags...in case you want to see every play in London and discover the play I am talking about yourself ;)

(view spoiler)

This play was so brilliant, it has to head over to other countries or hopefully be made into a movie because wow, this really deserves to be. If you visiting London, or live in UK...be sure to see this if you looked at my mild spoiler ;) You may have to book, long way in advance as is the nature of the more popular theatre plays/musicals.

So Time travel at the theatre...has anyone seen or heard of past plays containing time travel? (a Christmas Carol shouldn't really be classed as time travel but some people do categorise it as such so I guess that's one example and who knows, possibly the oldest example being a Charles Dickens story...assuming it has been performed on stage, I'd be surprised if it hasn't! ).

message 2: by Tej (new)

The above play got 4-5 star reviews across the board by the way and some describes as an unmissable experience whether you are a theatre goer or not.

message 3: by Tej (new)

There is also a script release of this play. Going to read this today. But cannot imaging it being anyehere as satisfying as seeing thr play itself

https://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-C...

message 4: by Tej (last edited Aug 01, 2016 06:45AM) (new)

I have now gone half way through the play script and its quite a different experience. There are so many moments in the script which reads blandly and insignificant but on stage these very moments were memorable visual highlights with delightful character nuances. Some were so stunning that no other stage play, I have seen topped the magic that the Harry Potter play delivered. Much of the comedy, magical stage transitions and character nuances are lost in the script due to the minimalism of visual narratives.

It is a shame, that most people are going to read the script out of hunger for anything Potter before (if ever) seeing the play.

The play is purely dialogue based with stage setting and transition descriptions.

One narratively big difference to this new Harry Potter instalment compared to the previous 7 book saga is the speed of time. The 7 book saga chronicled Harry's childhood one year per book with a major story arc. This in comparison is a several year compression telling a complete story. No sub strands, no story arc continuation, just a complete one off adventure. Having said that, it is a delightful epic adventure through time.

Having seen the play, the script is a treasure for me to read to reignite my memories of the play. But as a standalone, it will be very wanting, given the nature of its minimalism and stage setting pointers. (mind you, the scene setting descriptions are actually often lovely and is written by one of London's best stage screenwriters).

But having said all of that, its a riproaring epic time travel adventure with a Back to the Future Part II type complexity even in this minimalist form. I am still yet to read the second half but so far its pretty much what I've seen in the play with a few mild differences I've noticed as the theatre play itself evolved a bit through its two month preview period.

My only gripe with the whole story is that it does not obey the Rowling laws of time travel established in Prisoner of Azkhaban. Being a magical world, I suppose that plot hole can be filled with our imagination but still, I wish there was a consistency to that.

So if you are a Happy Potter fan...knock yourself out with this brand new story in playscript form BUT the play will likely tour to America and maybe other countries, so if you can be patient, I absolutely recommend that you dont read the script and enjoy the experience of the play on stage first (it is incredible). There is a huge caveat to that too though....its in two parts...and that means you need to fork out double theatre ticket prices! I paid £100 to see a preview of the play which was itself a discount (though I went for the higher price tier). Its worth it, though. I recommend you don't sit too close to the stage. The "magic" is so much more effective, sitting further back but try face forward of the stage, rather than side of it.

message 5: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 544 comments Mod
Excited to see this if it ever makes it to the US. There is speculation of a Broadway version.

message 6: by Tej (new)

It definitely will, Its a huge sell out for almost a year in advance in London. But it probably will take at least a year to travel across the ponds. If anyone is travelling to London to see it, there is still an opportunity to buy tickets as the theatre reserves a block of seats every Friday 1pm (gmt) online...but even then, need luck to get tickets!

I finished reading the script and while I enjoyed it as a memory recall of the stage play, I really dont recommend anyone reading it as a first experience of the story. Its just not fulfilling to read as a play script. HP Fans should be patient and seek to watch the play either by making a holiday trip to London or waiting for it to Travel to broadway and elsewhere.

message 7: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 434 comments I am so jealous that you got to see this Tej!

message 8: by Tej (new)

Heather(Gibby) wrote: "I am so jealous that you got to see this Tej!"

Well, I am almost always jealous of everything that you guys in US gets first (or indeed, exclusively) so I might just soak up everyone's jealousy on this rare occasion ;)

But you will get will get to see it, I'm positive. Save up the pennies now though as being a two parter means double the theatre ticket price!

message 9: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 434 comments I live in Canada, so we usually lag behind the US and get the "travelling " version of the big shows.

message 10: by Tej (new)

Ah, sorry for my bad assumption, Heather.