Victorians! discussion

Quirky Questions > QQ: Has any Victorian novel had an impact on your personal life?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Moderator (last edited Jul 23, 2016 09:44AM) (new)

Renee M | 1993 comments Mod
Has Jane Eyre made you afraid of attics? Or orphanages?
Do you hesitate before contacting a lawyer because of The Pickwick Papers? or confiding in one because of Bleak House?
Did you travel to India because of The Moonstone or Kim? Perhaps to Ireland and Scotland because of the Phineas Finn and The Eustace Diamonds? ... Looking both ways as the train arrives because of The Prime Minister?

Other than the sheer delight and mental fulfillment of reading these marvelous novels, has any had an impact on your life and/or the choices you've made?

message 2: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Hmm. Not one comment here. So no one has been influenced by their Victorian readings? How about other books?

message 3: by Helen Louise (new)

Helen Louise | 2 comments I read a book years ago in my 20's called 'If you meet Buddha on the Road kill Him' - this had a huge impact on my life at the time - if you are into self-discovery, then it might be worth having a look.

message 4: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Haha! That's a surprising title!

message 5: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Tyler (doulton) | 187 comments I think it's been integrated into me to see people's resemblances to characters from time to time. When my husband is a bit surly I call him Heathcliff. When he's really good I call him Elinor Dashwood (I know, not Victorian). When he's tidying I call him Nelly Dean. When he's earnest I call him either Pip from Great Expecations or "Daisy" from David Copperfield (that was one of David's nicknames). He understands all of these references.

message 6: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Nice! It's awesome you share the language of books.

message 7: by Rhedyn (new)

Rhedyn  (fernffoulkes) I talk like I live in the 18th or 19th century, and I hate pills thanks to The Three Musketeers. (not set in the 18th centurym=, but written then.)

message 8: by Martin (new)

Martin Olesh | 39 comments Bleak House was very often in my thoughts as a lawyer who dealt with decedents’ estates as a very substantial portion of my practice. Even in my most frustrating interactions with the courts, I was able to say that most of the time, they were not quite as bad as Chancery. I had cases that dragged on and on over seemingly petty matters that summoned up comparison with Jarndyce v. Jarndyce with equally amazing insignificant results.

Brittany (Lady Red) (ladyred19) | 152 comments The Odd Woman most definitely. Made me wary of people who might be too good to be true.