Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Books you can't put down

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (last edited Jul 23, 2016 08:56AM) (new)

Megan Hi everyone!

I'm looking for another good book. So good that you can't put it down.

What are some of your favorite books that you couldn't put down?

One of mine is Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code. It was a very good book. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet. Take a trip to the library. Check it out and read it. Or head to the book store. Buy it. Read it. It's great.

Let me know what some of your favorite hard-to-put-down books are. Ready. Go!

message 2: by J.F. (new)

J.F. Johns | 5 comments What type of genre are you into?
I absolutely looooved Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern, even though i'm not particularly fond of romance!!!

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan J.F. wrote: "What type of genre are you into?
I absolutely looooved Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern, even though i'm not particularly fond of romance!!!"

I enjoy fiction, non-fiction, biography and memoir, mystery, thriller/horror, some young adult, womens literature, history, science.

message 4: by Tony (new)

Tony Parsons (gambino71) | 1565 comments historical fiction

message 5: by Lenita (new)

Lenita Sheridan Do you like science fiction? I couldn't put down Unhappenings by Edward Aubry. It's a book about time travel.

message 6: by Dann (new)

Dann Aungst | 1 comments If you would consider reading 2 books in the sex addiction category and giving a review of each, I would give you my 2 books. details of them are on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...

if interested, email me with details of where to send them at dann.aungst@gmail.com - this offer also goes for anyone else reading this post.

message 7: by Kara (new)

Kara Skinner (Lover's Quarrel Reviews) | 18 comments I like reading just about everything, but I've been going through a huge romance craze lately. I couldn't put down Forever Enchanted. I ended up spending a day off just reading it in bed, it was so good.

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Stambaugh | 54 comments I am also a big reader of pretty well everything. Right now I have been reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. It has been a while since a book kept me up to the wee hours from excitement of what will happen next. I can see why my library has 200 holds on it, even though I scooped it right off the shelf. I was meant to read this book.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan Samantha wrote: "I am also a big reader of pretty well everything. Right now I have been reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. It has been a while since a book kept me up to the wee hours from excitement of what wil..."

How is that book so far? It looks pretty good and I'm unfamiliar with that author. I included it on my to-read list. :)

message 10: by John (new)

John Meszaros | 11 comments I find John Irving's books very addictive, particularly The World According to Garp.

If you're into science writing, I would highly recommend the book Life on A Young Planet: The First Three Billion Years of Life On Earth, by Andrew H. Knoll. As the title says, the book is about how for most of Earth's 4-billion year history, life was entirely microbial. A fascinating read.

message 11: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 15 comments This happens very rarely to me (partly because I read small amounts at a time nowadays). Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China was probably the last that I devoured. Fairly big book, maybe 500-600 pages, and I devoured it in 2-3 days.

Fair to say, though, it splits opinion down the middle. Lots of people love it, lots of people (mostly Chinese) think it's false history. Last time I was on Amazon checking reviews it had a slew of 1 and 5 stars.

It tells the tale of three women living through modern Chinese history, from the civil war between the Nationalists (who should've won but cocked it up) and the Communists. It goes down to around the 1980s or 1990s, I think.

message 12: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Ami | 15 comments Thaddeus wrote: "This happens very rarely to me (partly because I read small amounts at a time nowadays). Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China was probably the last that I devoured. Fairly big book, may..."

Oh! I loved Wild Swans, it's beautifully written and tremendously interesting <3

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin (emhanneman) I've recently read two that I could not put down - Sleeping Giants and The Girl with All the Gifts

message 14: by Brit (new)

Brit (shewouldread) I'm reading Extracted by Tyler Jolley and Sherry Ficklin. So good!

message 15: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Whitewolf | 19 comments I read Hart Broken in 5 hrs and couldn't put it down :)
in a different genre, Kane and Abel was always one of my can't put down!

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan I just finished One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid. It was very good and definitely hard to put down. I should browse through my never-ending list of books to read and find another good one, but I need some recommendations.

Can anyone recommend any fiction, mystery, horror, or thriller books that you really enjoyed and were hard to put down?

Let me know!!

message 17: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Abell | 18 comments I have read several 'can't put this down' books! But you should try Captured by Erica Stevens...it's awesome although it does have romance...but I seriously loved it so much I've read the series multiple times.

message 18: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Abell | 18 comments Megan wrote: "I just finished One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid. It was very good and definitely hard to put down. I should browse through my never-ending list of books to read and find another good one, but..."

Have you read the Mara Dyer series? I'm sure you have...but if you haven't I really did love them. Also have you read Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke? It's pretty good.

message 19: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) | 33 comments I also couldn't put down Kane and Abel as well as the Bernard Cornwall series The Last Kingdom. And of course the Harry Dresden Files. Will be checking out some of the recs here too.

message 20: by Jim (last edited Sep 19, 2016 10:31AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic Megan wrote: "Hi everyone!

I'm looking for another good book. So good that you can't put it down.

What are some of your favorite books that you couldn't put down?

One of mine is Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code. It..."

Megan,

Although I am an avid reader and prefer reading to watching TV, surfing the web or playing video games, I will quickly put a book down if an opportunity arises to do something more interesting and enjoyable. That said; here a few of my favorites that you might find worthwhile reading.
Listed in alphabetical order by author, not preference.
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel
Deception Point by Dan Brown
The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue
The Morning River by W. Michael Gear
Coyote Summer by W. Michael Gear
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Aztec by Gary Jennings
The Stand by Stephen King
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
The Inverted World by Christopher Priest
The Godfather by Mario Puzo
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

message 21: by Meg (new)

Meg D. Gonzalez (megdgonzalez) | 8 comments I recently read, The Five Times I Met Myself and absolutely loved it! Lost a lot of sleep since I simply couldn't put it down.

message 22: by Tim (last edited Sep 20, 2016 01:10AM) (new)

Tim Rees | 17 comments As an adult:

James A Michener's Centennial.
A Time To Kill by John Grisham (most Grisham's are un-put-downable)
The Killing Floor by Lee Child (most of Child's Jack Reacher novels are un-put-downable)
Without Remorse by Tom Clancy.
Kane and Able by Jeffery Archer
Not A Penny More, Not A Penny Less by Jeffery Archer.
We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
Shane by Jack Schaefer
All Bernard Cornwell's Sharp series
Waterloo by Bernard Cornwell
Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell

As a child:

Snowball The Pony by Enid Blyton
Swallows And Amazons (series) by Enid Blyton
My Friend Flicka, Thunderhead and The Green Grass Of Wyoming by Mary O'Hara
The whole Tarzan series by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
Rikki-Tikki-Tavi by Rudyard Kipling

And far too many pulp-fiction western novels to mention... :D

message 23: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 10 comments I went through a Rainbow Rowell kick recently - she writes YA/Adult books about awkward people navigating relationships and I am constantly hooked! I became seriously sleep deprived, til I ran out of books of hers to read.

message 24: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) | 33 comments I've just finished reading The Rosie Project. The story is hilarious. it made me.laugh out loud and I shed a few tears. an excellent read and I highly recommend it

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael Gill | 15 comments Before you judge me by recommending Patterson! I know a new book every week! However, if you pay attention to is the co-author. I have read all the private series and many have let me down. Private London and Berlin had me hooked. They are co-written by Mark Sullivan, who has his own series, which I also recommend.

message 26: by Shoshanah (last edited Nov 27, 2016 03:34AM) (new)

Shoshanah Shear (shoshanahs) | 45 comments I mostly read bits at a time. I don't often have the time to just sit and read. The last book I had that experience with was Relationships. It's very well written.

message 27: by Rose (new)

Rose Collins | 3 comments I couldn't put down Written In Blood by Nathan Bush (crime thriller) & Mirror, Mirror by Jessica Jesinghaus (supernatural mystery thriller).

Both fantastic novels by amazing authors.

message 28: by Shoshanah (new)

Shoshanah Shear (shoshanahs) | 45 comments Yesterday I began reading a book that is totally one that can not be put down. It is hard to face that the facts of the book happened, but they did. It's a book that needs to be read. The content grips one in a manner that is difficult to put into words. I have to tear myself away in order to do other work.
The book is A Damaged Mirror, stay tuned for the book review.

message 29: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Martin (beckvalleybooks) | 3 comments I'm absolutely thrilled to share with you all this years unique interactive Christmas Advent for booklovers!! If your looking for gifts or treating yourself, dive right into our Advent Calendar full of fabulous books from so many amazing authors for Christmas Gifts or for you to enjoy, special offers too!

Enjoy!
http://beckvalleybooks.blogspot.co.uk...
Please note: image below is NOT the live version.

message 30: by Hitesh (last edited Dec 01, 2016 09:01AM) (new)

Hitesh Nariani | 13 comments I will suggest "Life or Death" by Michael Robotham.
'Audie Palmer escapes from a Texas jail the day before the end of his ten-year sentence ' This line was enough to excite me to read this book and I really loved it as this is now one of my favourite books. There's another in my favourite list. I don't know you will like it or not as this one is from Indian Author 'Ravinder Singh' . His debut novel 'I too had a Love Story' is a record bestseller, based on true story, this book will surely make you cry.

I hope you will like it :) :):)

message 31: by Alli (new)

Alli Rehds (AlliRehds) | 6 comments Ketchup CloudsI couldn't stop reading and re reading. Honestly, may not be the genre U go for usually but definitely give this a try