World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > Best friend for toilet

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments Different researches show that we spend between a year and a year and half of our lives in the toilets. Quite a lot of time, huh?
Sometimes it's the only place in the house, where you can get some solitude, so I'm not surprised -:)
But what's the ultimate company: cell phone or book?

T. K. Elliott (Tiffany) (t_k_elliott) Oh, book. Definitely.

a) If you accidentally drop it down the loo it's not going to cost an arm and a leg to replace.

b) Books lend themselves far more to quiet contemplation.

c) Books are traditional!

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments -:) Glad the thread have lured you out of the shadows... -:)

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments *waves at T.K.*

message 5: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments I don't think I could bring myself to take either into the bathroom. There's just something about knowing what goes on in that room that would forever make the book/phone seem dirty ;)

message 6: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Engel-Hodgkinson (nexus_engel) | 52 comments I actually read books on my phone now...

However, back in the day (that makes me feel old, and I'm not, I swear, lol) I used to bring books of various types and sizes in there, often until my mom bangs on the door telling me to get out because I've been in there for nearly two hours. >_>

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Eldon: my books and phone are already dirty... *naughty smirk*

Ohhhh, different sort of dirty!!

My phone keeps me company. With both iBooks and Kindle.

message 8: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 593 comments I'm the "shit and get off the pot" kinda girl. ;)

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Miss Denise: I need a like button. Here you go: ♥

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 593 comments @Miss Annie, Thank you very much. I'd share my 4-ply toilet paper with you. ♥

message 11: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Annie wrote: "@Mr Eldon: my books and phone are already dirty... *naughty smirk*

Ohhhh, different sort of dirty!!

My phone keeps me company. With both iBooks and Kindle."

Sometimes Annie I feel like your straight man...I set em up and you knock em down lol

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Eldon: What can I say? We make a good team ^_~

Ooooh, soft! *nuzzles 4-ply toilet paper* Thank you, Miss Denise!!

Hugs (because honestly, how can I resist??),
Ann

message 13: by Marie Silk (last edited Jul 23, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments Um...who stays in the bathroom long enough to read a book? Like, I'm not judging, but you might want to get that checked...

:D

message 14: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 704 comments Marie wrote: "Um...who stays in the bathroom long enough to read a book? Like, I'm not judging, but you might want to get that checked...

:D"

Hahahahaha....love that sense of humor Marie!

ROFL

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) Flash fiction, yo! *smirks*

message 16: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments Haha, flash fiction! Nice!

Maybe if it was an old Batman comic book, since there is not much to read except WAM! POW! KAZAM!

But one might want to refrain from reading it aloud while on the toilet, unless one lives alone. Just sayin'.

message 17: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) For Miss Marie: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

T. K. Elliott (Tiffany) (t_k_elliott) Marie - if you stay still anywhere for longer than four seconds, that's long enough to read.

No, scratch that... if you are doing anything that does not require your undivided attention and you have a free hand for holding a book, that's reading time!

(Speaking as a person who can read while walking - you need to hold the book at just the right angle so you can see obstacles in your peripheral vision.)

[Hi Tara!]

message 19: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments I don't spend long on the loo, but since I've been veggie I notice I have to go twice now rather than once... Damned annoying and I'm usually in the middle of a scene when the second time comes around... So I'm trying to eat less... :D

message 20: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments Can't stop laughing trying to solve your problem-:)
If the interval between the two is not too long, it might be spent inside with all the necessary gadgetry to transform the toilet into a VIP lounge of Lufthansa -:)
Alternatively, whatever scene you are in the middle can travel with you a couple of times

message 21: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11461 comments Best friend - toilet paper. Without it, it is messy.

message 22: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments Ian wrote: "Best friend - toilet paper. "

Sorry to bring a cruel realism into this wonderfully enlightening thread, but in former USSR the newspapers were deemed an equal replacement for public WCs.. Books? No, never

message 23: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11461 comments Hmmm - you mean the enlightened statements of the politburo were used to, err . . . .

message 24: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments Precisely, but not necessarily intentionally... On the other hand, wiping something with Brezhnev's portrait crafty prosecutors could've enterpreted from state treason to ideoligical felonies ..

T. K. Elliott (Tiffany) (t_k_elliott) Tim and Nik: Tim's problem has already been solved by this ingenious patent-holder: http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US201...

Ah, newspaper... cheap, absorbent paper.

And, the history of toilet paper: http://toilet-guru.com/wipe-or-wash.php

As in so many things, the Chinese did it first...

message 26: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments Ha -:)
Cool stuff! Might grab one of those

Wow, Chinese sages specifically warned centuries ago against using Politburo directives for mundane purposes

message 27: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 290 comments T. K. Elliott wrote: "Tim and Nik: Tim's problem has already been solved by this ingenious patent-holder: http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US201...

Ah, newspaper... cheap, absorbent paper.

And, the history of toi..."

Brilliant, now one can write as well as read on the bog. What a time to be alive.

message 28: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments -:)
Some dystopians (or maybe utopians?) predict hoses connected to humans, glued to screens and monitors in not that distant future

message 29: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 290 comments This is possible. I once had a boss who kept us in such long meetings that we thought about finding those attachments fighter pilots use.

message 30: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments Reminds Rafa Benitez mentioned as endlessly explaining his tactical approach to the footballers -:)

message 31: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments Any fresh ideas on this vital to humankind topic?

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) I'm in and out in a flash. Hubby likes electronic Yatzee.

message 33: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Actually, I often use my time on the throne thinking about the novel I am writing, imagining new twists or plotlines. I find the time on the toilet to be quite creative.

kavi + alex + noir ~ve|vim~ (percybluefood) | 145 comments Nik wrote: "Different researches show that we spend between a year and a year and half of our lives in the toilets. Quite a lot of time, huh?
Sometimes it's the only place in the house, where you can get some ..."

I don't take either my phone or my books to the restroom, because I don't want to accidentally drop either of them. my phone and my books are like my prized possessions and my best friends :)

message 35: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments I think out of this concern they've made iPhone 7 waterproof -:)

message 36: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Magazines and catalogues are my preference. Don't care that much what happens to them.

kavi + alex + noir ~ve|vim~ (percybluefood) | 145 comments lol I'm not into magazines that much

message 38: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Michel wrote: "Actually, I often use my time on the throne thinking about the novel I am writing, imagining new twists or plotlines. I find the time on the toilet to be quite creative."

ROFL. me 2. i can solve a lot of plop issues on the potty.

message 39: by Daniel J. (new)

Daniel J. Nickolas (danieljnickolas) | 111 comments I'm studying a second language, and the toilet is the best time to tackle foreign grammar, no matter what device you're using for learning. Grammar, though it's important, can be the lest fun aspect of learning a new language, but you have to do it! You might as well do something you have to do while doing something you have to do.

message 40: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments If could only know, maybe Mozart's best tune partially originates from the least pleasant aroma, Einstein's relativity theory or Lincoln's most famous speech-:)

message 41: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Alex G wrote: "Michel wrote: "Actually, I often use my time on the throne thinking about the novel I am writing, imagining new twists or plotlines. I find the time on the toilet to be quite creative."

ROFL. me 2. i can solve a lot of plop issues on the potty.
..."

You make a lot of 'plop' on the potty? (just joking! You must have meant 'plot' issues.)

message 42: by Alex (last edited Dec 04, 2016 11:31PM) (new)

Alex (asato) Michel wrote: "You make a lot of 'plop' on the potty? (just joking! You must have meant 'plot' issues.) "

heh heh. i was hoping someone would catch that.

message 43: by Mike (new)

Mike | 181 comments I am not in complete control of the area surrounding my most commonly-used toilet at the moment, but when I am, I usually like to have a book or two nearby.

I can't read anything daunting on the toilet, though.

I wouldn't worry about lack of cleanliness- when you're ready, just set the book down somewhere out of the way. Wipe, wash your hands, and only then do you touch your book again. The book remains pristine.

message 44: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 104 comments The whole dynamic changes if you have a smart toilet, like the ones in Japan. They can soothe you with warmth, serenade you with delightful melodies, massage weary limbs to stimulate blood flow and wellness, and grade your physiological state by analyzing your deposits.

With all that, would you really be able to concentrate on a book or fiddle with a phone?

message 45: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments J.N. wrote: "They can soothe you with warmth, serenade you with delightful melodies, massage weary limbs to stimulate blood flow and wellness..."

Sounds like a good place to visit unrelated to natural needs-:)

message 47: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments Sounds perfect, thanks, Chrisl!
By the way, have anyone tested Iphone 7's amphibian features?

message 48: by Mike (new)

Mike | 181 comments Noticed at the store today an item on sale: 'toilet basketball.' Apparently this is a mat designed like a basketball court (complete with foul line, three-point line, painted area, etc.) with a hoop that can be set up at a certain distance...I'll have to check the price next time I go.

message 49: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments Mike wrote: "Noticed at the store today an item on sale: 'toilet basketball.' Apparently this is a mat designed like a basketball court (complete with foul line, three-point line, painted area, etc.) with a hoo..."

The progress certainly doesn't stop for a moment -:)

message 50: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15679 comments So how do you tackle this existential question?

« previous 1