Writer's Aid discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E.C. (new)

E.C. Kraeft (goodreadscomeckraeft) | 31 comments Tips I've learned along the way in my writing journey. Please feel free to add to the list.

+dialogue moves the story forward
+dialogue can help convey character emotions
+dialogue can be used to include bits of backstory
+dialogue can create tension
+never forget the impact when a character responds in silence
+dialogue can create conflict
+dialogue can show personality
+be concise

message 2: by Hallie (new)

Hallie (inkyhallie) Very true. Dialogues can also be the factor which ruins the story if they're bad.

message 3: by E.C. (new)

E.C. Kraeft (goodreadscomeckraeft) | 31 comments Dialogue and stereotypes. I've read somewhere that using stereotypes is a good way to help your audience fill in the gaps. It is like guiding your readers to think in a certain way without giving too much. I used to think using stereotyping in writing is a bad thing because writing should be original, right? I also used to think it was bad because I try not to stereotype in my day to day life.

What do you think? Should an author use stereotypes in their writing?

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Frediani I think they have their place, but shouldn't be overdone. Your stereotype shouldn't make the reader roll their eyes or slap the reader in the face - although that can be done for a certain effect/reaction. Used properly stereotypes can be a shortcut to identify something/someone to the reader. It all comes down to that one answer for almost every question - it depends.

message 5: by Hallie (new)

Hallie (inkyhallie) I agree with Sandaidh. Stereotypes must be used properly. It would definitely annoy readers if the story is cliché, so I try to use very less stereotypes in my stories.