Reading 1001 discussion

Siddhartha
This topic is about Siddhartha
1001 book reviews > Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane  | 2051 comments Rating: 4 Stars
Read: July 2016

I have been wanting to read this book for a very long time. I really thought I would be blown away by this book. It was good, but it wasn't fantastic. It is the allegorical story of a man who journeys through India throughout his life seeking spiritual enlightenment. I saw a lot of similarities between it and The Alchemist. Overall, a decent book and an interesting perspective on Eastern philosophy.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments 3 stars

My knowledge of Buddha is minimal. My knowledge of the tie between Hinduism and Buddha is even more minimal. But I read this book because it is consistently listed as one of the best books ever written. Herman Hesse took the story of Buddha's journey to become Buddha is written simply; it is poetry to read. It is beautiful and full of wisdom. The messages spoke to my mind and to my heart and I am certain to read this again, because it is a book full of peace and love and I want that in my life.

Book Wormy | 2064 comments Mod
Books like this are not for me. I found Siddhartha’s journey to enlightenment to be a great cure for insomnia and at allegedly 152 pages this felt like it took forever to read.

My journey began in boredom (accompanied by Young naïve Siddhartha) continued in boredom (as Siddhartha left the joys of having nothing, to discover the joys of having sex…and material possessions) and ended in boredom (with old Siddhartha learning that life repeats and time is meaningless).

I know, I know there are people who will love this philosophical look at life, the universe and everything and that is great but for me time has meaning and I won’t get it back.

3 Stars – Trouble sleeping? Knock yourself out.

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 480 comments I love some of this author's work, but this one is not among my favorites. It is better than Journey to the East, or Beneath the Wheel, but I was not really into those either. Maybe if one reads this book in the right mood during high school or as an undergrad it seems more profound and amazing. for my 40+yr old self this was a bit boring and uninspiring.

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
Read in 2015, my review.
Review: The story is set in Nepal during the time of Buddha and tells the story of Siddhartha (achieved what was searched for). Siddhartha is a young privileged Brahmin youth. He spends his life searching. Really is is just a story of life stages; the arrogance of youth, the materialistic pursuits of middle age and the contentment of old age. It reminded me of Ecclesiastes. Hermann Hesse was the son of a missionary who served in India and his family wanted him to go into the ministry. His themes are self discovery and spirituality.

First Sentence: In the shade of the house, in the sunshine on the river bank by the boats, in the shade of the sallow wood and the fig tree, Siddhartha, the handsome Brahmin’s son, grew up with his friend Govinda.

Last sentence: He bowed low, right down to the ground, in front of the man sitting there motionless, whose smile reminded him of everything that he had ever loved in his life, of everything that had ever been of value and holy in his life.