Middle Georgia Readers Guild discussion

2nd Quarterly Report

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick Good afternoon all! I just wanted to check in and see how the reading goals were going? Do you need encouragement? What's been your favorite book of this past quarter? What about your least favorite?

message 2: by Nick (last edited Jul 22, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Nick For my own comment, I met my reading goal of 35 back in June. However, a great many of my books this year have been comic books so that's one reason I've met the goal so quickly. That said, some of those are just easy to blow through while reading other, longer works, especially since I have to read a lot for my grad school classes.

I'm currently reading Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley" which is, for lack of a better word, charming. I'm enjoying it immensely.

I think my favorite books over the last quarter would have to be a tie between Earl Shaffer's "Walking with Spring" which is the account of the first thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail (a bucket list goal of mine), and Scalzi's "Red Shirts" which is a must read for any Star Trek fan.

Kim Stanley Robinson's "Aurora" was also a decent read, though I wasn't satisfied with the ending.

Other than that, I've been enjoying DC Comic's "Rebirth" with the Superman and Batman titles. As well as American Mythology's resurrection of Stargate: Atlantis in the comic series "Back to Pegasus".

message 3: by S H A R O N (new)

S H A R O N  (ishari) | 18 comments Mod
Hard to believe the year is already half over...

Knock on wood, I'm finally back on track for my reading goal of 75 books! Not even that...I'm currently *ahead* of where GR says I need to be. So, I count that a win.

I think my favorite book so far would have to be Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas. It was fun, fluffy fantasy that was compulsively readable and addicting. I've already picked up the next two books in the series -- I've heard the books get even better as they go on.

I'm also currently reading An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir which I'm quite enjoying. While there are some overused YA tropes in it (I'm sensing a possible love triangle? And there's a Hunger Games-esque competition that seems to be all the rage in every YA book that's published now -- Throne of Glass had it too), the characters are great and the plot is intriguing.

My least favorite book so far is easy -- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. I could not stand this book. At all. Horrible characters, horrible and predictable plot...I just couldn't find anything redeeming about it. It tries to mimic the success/formula as Gillian Flynn's books...but epically fails.

message 4: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 14 comments Let's see...I started off rereading some of my fave fantasy books-- Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry books. Then I discovered a new-to-me fantasy author, Glenda Larke. Loved her Stormlord trilogy.

Read Jim Butcher's The Aeronaut's Windlass and LOVED it. Can't wait for the next one in the series.

Had to read The Circle for my book club and hated it. Also read Station Eleven for book club. It was okay.

Continuing to enjoy Anna Lee Huber's Lady Darby books. I'm getting ready to order Book #4. Can't wait!