What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Stonewords: A Ghost Story
This topic is about Stonewords
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. tween mystery from early 90s-girl meets boy smells like smoke [Spoiler ahead...] [s]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cindy | 7 comments Read this in 1993/94? A mystery/suspense middle grade book my 4th grade teacher recommended to me. I think the title had the word 'bone' or 'skeleton' in title. Not part of any series, a standalone book.
A tween girl moves to a new house, befriends a sad boy her age who smells like smoke.
SPOILER
He is dead and died on his 13th birthday I think and then the same almost happens to her? Been looking for this for 20 years so worried some of my details are wrong. I remember cake lol. Any help appreciated!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36060 comments Mod
A guess - A Taste of Smoke by Marion Dane Bauer? There are different cover images.

Cindy, thanks for the spoiler warning. What's the location - country, region? For example, in the book above, the girl is camping in the woods of northern Minnesota.

Cindy | 7 comments thanks so much for your time :) i have the taste of smoke book and its not that one. im not sure the location. I'm pretty certain the cover had a skeleton hand on it.

Rainbowheart | 21034 comments Do you remember why he smelled like smoke? Was he killed in a fire?

Cindy | 7 comments yes, he was killed in the fire.

message 6: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments The Ghost Within by Alison Prince?

I can't find a description about this book, however, under contents in worldcat, it lists Dundee cake, fire escape, lilies etc.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36060 comments Mod
Kym wrote: "The Ghost Within by Alison Prince?

I can't find a description about this book, however, under contents in worldcat, it lists Dundee cake, fire escape, lilies etc."

Here's one cover image - www.amazon.com/Ghost-within-Magnet-bo...

Rainbowheart | 21034 comments Looks like it's a short story collection, so probably not the one Cindy is seeking.

message 9: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments God, I'm an idiot. I typed in Ghost, fire in world.cat and saw mention of a cake. I'm sorry Cindy and thank you Kris and Rainbowheart.

message 10: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments What time period does your story take place?
What time period is the boy from?

Cindy | 7 comments It's supposed to be present day for the girl. the boy had been dead for somewhere between 30-100 years I want to say?

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new) - added it

Rainbowheart | 21034 comments The Ghost in the Attic by Emily Cates? The ghost did die in a fire, but is a girl, not a boy. Are you positive it was a boy? Also, can you remember if this was a hardback or paperback book?

Cindy | 7 comments I'm pretty sure I found it! Have ordered it and so excited to reread! Stonewords:a ghost story by Pam Conrad. It was 2 girls both names Zoe. Thank you for your efforts, really appreciate it!

message 14: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2503 comments Mod
Glad you found it, Cindy! Here's the link: Stonewords: A Ghost Story

message 15: by Rainbowheart (new) - added it

Rainbowheart | 21034 comments Yay, glad you found it!