What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Dorrie's Book
This topic is about Dorrie's Book
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's Young Adult book/"journal style" with preteen main character [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by melissa (new) - added it

melissa | 5 comments I remember the book's cover looked like it was a green marble notebook. it was a YA, coming of age story. I took it out many many times from my town's public library when I was 9 or 10, so it was around 2000/2001. it was not a brand new book though. if I had to guess it probably was published in the late 80s, early 90s

the protagonist of the story was a preteen girl. I think she wrote in a journal and/or some parts of the book were in journal form, hence the marble notebook cover.

the main character had a stepsister or foster sister who she didn't get along with and I think the sister moved in with her and her family. or maybe it was a neighbor. I feel like the "sister" and her familt moved in with the main character and her family because the sister's family was having financial issues. the main character OR her sister's name was Genevieve but I'm leaning toward it being the sister's name.

I also remember the main character having to read a classic book in school and not wanting to. I think it was Hamlet.

this has been driving me nuts for YEARS. I've done extensive google searches and came up with nothing. I hope someone, anyone, can tell me what this book is or at least vaguely remembers it!

message 2: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1222 comments I think this is it: Dorrie's Book by Marilyn Sachs

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments Here's a Kirkus Review of Dorrie's Book. They mention a character named Genevieve https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

message 4: by melissa (new) - added it

melissa | 5 comments yesssss! thank you SO much

message 5: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1222 comments Excellent! You're very welcome. :-)