The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8)
This topic is about Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by Jack Thorne - August 2016

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5240 comments Our BOTM for August is Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by Jack Thorne. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by Jack Thorne

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, a new play by Jack Thorne, is the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. It will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on 30th July 2016

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes darkness comes from unexpected places.

Paula Peloquin (penguinn_pita) | 5 comments I'm super excited for this one!

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 113 comments Me too! :D

Palash (naikon) | 7 comments Started reading it yesterday.

message 5: by Esther (last edited Aug 03, 2016 12:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esther (eshchory) | 117 comments I gave in and ordered it - should be here in about a week :0)

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5240 comments I'm just waiting for my copy too. :)

Silvia Turcios | 395 comments I bought it yesterday. Everyone in the bookstore was buying the same book :-) I have just started it.

Amber I got it yesterday and i've just finished it and I loved every page so much., even if it was just a script for the play.

Anna | 19 comments I ordered it today. Can't wait...

Palash (naikon) | 7 comments Finished it. 4/5

Paula Peloquin (penguinn_pita) | 5 comments Finished it as well and digesting it to write my review.

Betty (betamagnificus) bought and finished it yesterday. I need to let it sit for a bit. I was too emotional in the end

Bookworm Waiting for my copy :) exciteddd !!

Mugdha (mugdha_manasa) | 4 comments finished it.. rated it 5/5, and gave a review too..

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments I loved it!
5/5 stars I reviewed it in spanish though and if you understand spanish you can see our video in youtube.
I'm part of Hogwarts Chile, it's a comunity of Harry Potter fans, we organized the party at a library in Santiago and made a video review without spoilers =)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmMnT...

I loved that the essence of the characters wasn't lost, and the script format didn't bothered me at all. I really liked the story and the interactions between the characters.

I'm sure we all love (spoiler?) (view spoiler)

D.Ann | 9 comments I'm half way through. I don't think this is a spoiler- but am I the only one who thinks that Scorpius and Albus have a bit of a crush on each other?

Terry Kaye | 2 comments Started it yesterday and finished it today - could not put it down once I had started. One or two minor quibbles that I won't share yet because they are plot related - but who cares? It is Harry Potter, and an absolutely believable and beautiful extension of the world and characters we have grown to love. I was a little reluctant to start it because how could anything not pale in comparison to the original books - but it's still JK Rowling creating the story, so of course it is wonderful and I need not have worried. All I have to say is, five stars, and MORE PLEASE!

Terry Kaye | 2 comments D.Ann wrote: "I'm half way through. I don't think this is a spoiler- but am I the only one who thinks that Scorpius and Albus have a bit of a crush on each other?"
Yeah, I thought that too. But I think it is just a really sweet friendship. And if not, that's ok too :-)

message 19: by Palash (last edited Aug 03, 2016 12:03AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Palash (naikon) | 7 comments D.Ann wrote: "I'm half way through. I don't think this is a spoiler- but am I the only one who thinks that Scorpius and Albus have a bit of a crush on each other?"
lol.
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Silvia (last edited Aug 03, 2016 01:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Silvia Turcios | 395 comments Finished! I am feeling guilty, because for now I have given 3 stars to the book, but I think it's more than 3, but I am not sure to give it 4 :S .... I really wish the half stars here. OK, the story is interesting, the characters are great, but I really would enjoyed a novel better. I don't hate plays, but too much depends of the actor and if you are just reading there are many things that depends on how you read them.... but it's Harry Potter! So maybe I will add the fourth star to the book :D With the plot of this book, J.K.Rowling fulfilled my three wishes after the ending of HP series (view spoiler)

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments Started and liking it so far.

Melissa (missams) | 58 comments Silvia wrote: "Finished! I am feeling guilty, because for now I have given 3 stars to the book, but I think it's more than 3, but I am not sure to give it 4 :S .... I really wish the half stars here. OK, the story..."
I agree with you on the half stars. I believe I gave it four because I could not give it three when it really was a 3.5 - 3.75. I also agree with the fact that I wished it was in storybook format. I believe a novel would have been better. It would have described the worlds and plot better. I don't think it helped to have the original actors playing their parts in my head and not the new ones.

Maybe it is just me. I just believe that plays should be read with a group of people. It does work to read it by yourself. I just feel as though plays require other people to bring in their own persona to help bring that story to life. I am wondering how different my reaction would be if I read it with a group of people.

message 23: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 19 comments Hooray !! HP and the cursed child arrived from Amazon today. I'm so looking forward to getting started.

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 113 comments Melissa wrote: "Silvia wrote: "Finished! I am feeling guilty, because for now I have given 3 stars to the book, but I think it's more than 3, but I am not sure to give it 4 :S .... I really wish the half stars her..."

I just finished Cursed Child a few minutes ago and I totally agree with you. It's not another Harry Potter book. It's just a script. And it isn't perfect. But it's still worth a read.

Bookworm The story and plot is fantastic ans has such a great potential.
But what is missed is the details which Rowling crafts in the novel. I know this one is a play, but it had a great potential to be a great and memorable novel. I loved how Rowling painted the whole picture through intricate details in her writing. I was so missing that in every scene.
But being a potterfan, I would say lucky that we got another book to take us thru the magical journey. had great fun reading it.

Silvia Turcios | 395 comments Bookworm wrote: "The story and plot is fantastic ans has such a great potential.
But what is missed is the details which Rowling crafts in the novel. I know this one is a play, but it had a great potential to be a ..."

Exactly!!! Those details in her writing is what I missed the most... An enjoyable reading anyway :)

message 27: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 19 comments I just finished the book yesterday. Like many of you I enjoyed the book, but the script form took some getting used to. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it was written like an actual novel. I think the description of the complicated father and son relationship was very realistic, and the devastating fights between HP and Albus almost brought tears to my eyes.

message 28: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 19 comments And by the way, I rated it 4/5, due to the script form. Otherwise it would have been 5/5

AlistairBookEater | 1 comments I'm just starting to read it, & the script form is killin mah. It makes the story feel generic. But I'll read on & see how it feels afterwards

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5240 comments I received my copy, but won't have time to read it until later in the month. I'm excited to get to it, even though it isn't written in novel form. I am preparing myself for a lack of the usual depth, so that I won't be disappointed. Thanks for all the reviews on here. I love seeing what everyone else's thoughts are.

Carmen Koopman | 9 comments It definitely lacked some depth due to the script form it was written in. Overall it was nice to read another HP story, but it didn't catch me like the other ones did. Out of nostalgia I would give it 4 or 5 stars, but in truth it's not really worth that much.

Tracey | 90 comments Carmen, that's how I'm feeling now that I'm reading this too. The script form takes away so much for me.

Debra  | 52 comments I'm next in line to get this from the library

Shirisha | 5 comments Finished it. 3/5. I loved Scorpius Characterization.

Silvia Turcios | 395 comments I loved Scorpius too!

message 36: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Whitewolf | 10 comments Drishti wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Silvia wrote: "Finished! I am feeling guilty, because for now I have given 3 stars to the book, but I think it's more than 3, but I am not sure to give it 4 :S .... I really wish th..."

Agreed! I read it myself, and though I'm not a fan of the script way it's written, as an HP fan, I just couldn't have gone without reading it!

Silvia Turcios | 395 comments You know... I just realized that this book doesn't fulfill one of the conditions to be BOTM : "Do not nominate books that are the second or later in a series." But I guess we were too excited about reading HP to realize that hahaha

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5240 comments I completely missed that, Silvia! Oops! Too late now.

Esther (eshchory) | 117 comments I have read several plays both for school and for theatre production. IT is not my favourite format so I was a little cautious.
However I just sat down and read this straight through.
There was less depth in the storyline but that is what I would expect from a script.

I had quite an emotional reaction to the struggles between Harry and Albus and agree with the general consensus that Scorpius is brilliant.
I feel that Albus and Scorpius' friendship mirrors the strong friendship of Harry and Ron, only that in the time frame of a play there isn't room for a third friend to moderate the intensity as Hermione did in the original books.

Silvia Turcios | 395 comments Esther wrote: "...I feel that Albus and Scorpius' friendship mirrors the strong friendship of Harry and Ron, only that in the time frame of a play there isn't room for a third friend to moderate the intensity as Hermione did in the original books."

At first I thought they were trying to make the trio of friends including Delphi , that bothered me a lot ... luckily things went in a different direction.

message 41: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Terry wrote: "D.Ann wrote: "I'm half way through. I don't think this is a spoiler- but am I the only one who thinks that Scorpius and Albus have a bit of a crush on each other?"
Yeah, I thought that too. But I t..."

I thought the same thing! After I finished I talked to my friend and she said that it was clear that Scorpius had a thing for Rose. I guess that was true, but there are some times that make you question it. Overall I really liked the book though. It was really humanizing for Harry I think.

Karel | 2 comments From your comments I see I didnt enjoyed this one as much as you did. I didnt hate it, it was fine, but I struggled too much with the theatre play format, it took me 4 days to finished it (which is a looooooot for a play) but it just tired me to read a script.
Also, with the stage notes, it just took me out of the story and the magic, I just pictured it in my head as a play instead of as a world, and that was dissapointing.
I love Scorpious, he is awesome, but Albus... not so much.
And I found the alternative presents dubious, for example: (view spoiler)
Although, I enjoyed the King Scorpious parts, well, I enjoyed all Scorpious parts, he (for me) was the most endearing character in the play. I still love the serie, just not this play.

Jenny | 1641 comments Like a lot of you, I read this in one day. Honestly I couldn't put it down. I longed for the prose of Rowling instead of the format it was in, but I found the story fun, and the new characters interesting, especially Scorpius. I am really looking forward to this play touring so I can see it.

Holly (sweetfox) | 1 comments I'm so excited for this one! I bought a copy for my Boyfriend and I to share. :):) Nothing like the smell of a new book.

Debra  | 52 comments I just finished this one. I read it over a couple of days due to my schedule. I enjoyed it. It was not as good as the original Harry Potter series but it was still very enjoyable - like visiting an old friend.

I was not put off by the play format.

I loved Scorpious. I liked that Draco had such a great kid. I also found that I liked Draco more in this one.

Good not great.

message 46: by Paula (last edited Aug 31, 2016 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 680 comments Karel wrote: "From your comments I see I didnt enjoyed this one as much as you did. I didnt hate it, it was fine, but I struggled too much with the theatre play format, it took me 4 days to finished it (which is..."

The stage notes are exactly what helped me get into de wizarding world, for me they worked perfectly. So sad they didn't work for you =/