Swimming Mermalions discussion

Archive - Wheel-A-Thon > Plan your books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 203 (203 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) Post here what you are reading or going to read.
Post a cover, author first and last name, names of the main characters, name of translator, name of narrator.

Provide us with as much information as you can and we will try to make it fit.

message 2: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Patterson (cnnamongirlaolcom) I am going to start Spring fpr Susannah by Catherine Richmond

message 3: by Lusie (last edited Jul 23, 2016 11:03AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) I am going to read for S, R or T and gold item:

Mariana by Susanna Kearsley
Mariana by Susanna Kearsley
Colours: main colour < 60%, gold clock, purple title, purple text
Spellout: M, S, K, J, G, T, R, B, I
Characters: Julia Becket, Geoffrey de Mornay, Tom Becket, Richard de Mornay, Ian Summer
Series: none

message 4: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Patterson (cnnamongirlaolcom) Can more than one person read for the same letter? I signed up for Spring for Susannah which is the letter S

message 5: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Patterson (cnnamongirlaolcom) I can read a different book though it's fine. I haven't started it yet. Let me know.

message 6: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) Yes, we can read for the same word multiple times. Also we might use a book to spell a different word.

message 7: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Patterson (cnnamongirlaolcom) Thank you, Imke.

message 8: by Lusie (last edited Jul 22, 2016 08:23AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) Deanne, your book can count for the R (authors lastname; Richmond ).

I choose my book because of the gold (for the bonus points)

message 9: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Patterson (cnnamongirlaolcom) Ok, I'll take R.

message 10: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) I am currently listening to Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb and planning to continue with the second in the series, Royal Assassin.

Narrator: Paul Boehmer
Characters (fitting the task): Shrewd

They could definitely be used for S, P or R.

message 11: by Emeli (new)

Emeli Webb | 21 comments I can take i with this book

Awkward in Love by Lily Adile Lamb

Mc illhan

message 12: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly First I will be reading

Death Thieves by Julie Wright
Death Thieves by Julie Wright
I believe MC is Summer Rae (from synopsis), but I can tell for sure after reading the book.

So can be used only for "S" or "R".

message 13: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly I can alo read
Wõlukunst (Septimus Heap #1) by Angie Sage
by Angie Sage

Gold on cover, but it fits only "S"

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Emelie's post from Words and Bonuses thread:

I can take i with this book

118 pages

Mc =illhan = i

message 15: by Chava (new)

Chava Question: If I read Splinter, which includes all the letters for SPRINT, does that count for the bonus?

message 16: by Chava (new)

Chava I also am starting Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll once the countdown is finished :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Chava wrote: "Question: If I read Splinter, which includes all the letters for SPRINT, does that count for the bonus?"

No, the bonus is for spelling out the word. So, reading a book for each letter not having all the letters in the title of one book.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Chava wrote: "I also am starting Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll once the countdown is finished :)"

You don't need to wait this time. Unlike Olympics books can be started before.

message 19: by Chava (new)

Chava Pigletto wrote: "Chava wrote: "Question: If I read Splinter, which includes all the letters for SPRINT, does that count for the bonus?"

No, the bonus is for spelling out the word. So, reading a boo..."

Okay, I might leave that one then and concentrate on Luckiest girl alive and the book I'm already reading.

message 20: by Lusie (last edited Jul 23, 2016 03:44AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) I think our best strategy is to read a books with the bonus points.

My suggestions is to use the banked books we have now (spell the word once), and then read the word again with atleast 1 book with gold on the cover. We have 1 banked book with gold, so we should use that one for sure. This is the one book with gold we already have: The Daylight War P, R, T (gold headdress)

Who is adding all the details of banked books to our spreadsheet? Do you need more people to help with that?

message 21: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) Lusie wrote: "We have 1 banked book with gold, so we should use that one for sure. This is the one book with gold we already have: The Daylight War P, R, T (gold headdress) ."

That is not the edition I read though. I used this one:
The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3) by Peter V. Brett

But isn't the headdress in the one gold too?

message 22: by Elinaly (last edited Jul 23, 2016 03:59AM) (new)

Elinaly So are we going to spell out the word "sprint" twice EDIT: once and then re-spin to get new word?

Or do we get new word after some time anyway?

Should I read Wõlukunst (Septimus Heap #1) by Angie Sage - I can get it from library on Monday and then I need 2-3 days to read it.
Will we be having a new word already for that time and there is no point for me to read the book with gold on cover then?

Is this how it works?

message 23: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly Because we should definitely try to get those sweet 100 points...

From the rules:
◈ If teams spin a word that is a team name from their group of teams (i.e. land, extinct, myth, sea, air, endangered) and they complete the spell-it-out AND the two bonus' for that word, they will receive an additional 100 points!
This 100 point bonus can only be gained once per spin.

message 24: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly Captains - what is our strategy here?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Lusie wrote: "I think our best strategy is to read a books with the bonus points.

My suggestions is to use the banked books we have now (spell the word once), and then read the word again with atleast 1 book wi..."

Imke and I are filling in the banked books. It will probably take awhile at first because there are so many but after that it will be easier. Should have all info entered by tomorrow so we can start completing words.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Eli wrote: "Lusie wrote: "We have 1 banked book with gold, so we should use that one for sure. This is the one book with gold we already have: The Daylight War P, R, T (gold headdress) ."

That is not the edit..."

That's ok, Eli. That is the edition we are working from on the spreadsheet.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Elinaly wrote: "So are we going to spell out the word "sprint" twice EDIT: once and then re-spin to get new word?

Or do we get new word after some time anyway?

Should I read Wõlukunst (Septimus Heap #1) by Angie Sage - I ca..."

If you want to read it then read it. We haven't decided yet how many times we will read for Sprint and even if we change the word before you finish we can always use it for something else.

We pick when we want to spin for a new word. How many times we read for a word is a good question. I've posted some pros and cons around spinning on our main thread. My main concern is that everytime we spin the amount of colour tasks we have to do goes up by 1 which will limit what books we can use for each word. Everyone should have a bit of a think about what we are likely to be able to do as a team and what they can do individually around this - i.e. how flexible we can be and how many books a week we can read. Post your thoughts about how often we should spin:

-only when we get bored with a word or find a word/colour task hard to complete
-once a week
-more than once a week depending on how many words we complete during that week
-every time we complete a word

Remember even though spinning more would get us a better chance of getting Green Dragons as a word and the 100 points there is still only a 1 in 20 chance for each spin that we will get it. Plus we could pretty quickly get into the situation where we have to read a colour task for every letter of the word spun which will make completing words much harder.

message 28: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) I think we should keep the number of spins to at most 3 times. I think it is nice to have some variety in words and we can use other letters. It also keeps the color task down to 3-4 books which I think we can do.

message 29: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly when wheelaton ends, btw?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Elinaly wrote: "when wheelaton ends, btw?"

This one is 4 weeks long. We don't have an exact date or time yet but it will probably be 11pm London time on Friday, 19th August.

message 31: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) Can we do the colour task for a word more than once? If not I think we should just spin the wheel again as soon as we have completed it and gotten all the bonus points.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Eli wrote: "Can we do the colour task for a word more than once? If not I think we should just spin the wheel again as soon as we have completed it and gotten all the bonus points."

Yes, we can keep repeating the colour bonus and we get the completion bonus everytime too.

message 33: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) Pigletto wrote: "Yes, we can keep repeating the colour bonus and we get the completion bonus everytime too. "

Alright, well then I think we should only spin it once a week unless we get a really difficult set of letters or colour task. The word we have now seems pretty easy so I definitely think we could roll with that for a week and get a maximum of bonus points.

message 34: by Filipa (new)

Filipa I agree that we need to keep the number of spins low, but I also think we need to spin enough to try to keep a balance of letters used. If we used every I in our bank for Sprint and then spin, for example, Brahminy Kites, we might start struggling a little with those Is. And personally I think it's easier to do color tasks (especially the easy text ones) than a bunch of Us or Ys.

message 35: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly The shorter the word the more points we get (bonus every time we complete the word), so SPRINT is pretty good for start.

Lets see for example on monday (after weekend) how are we doing and if we want to spin again.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree that we want to try to balance it out. We have 4 weeks so we can always adjust our strategy as we go on.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I've completed our word twice using the banked books. If we want to continue with Sprint we need books for these :

gold item on cover
letter - N

There's been a bit of an issue on some of the spreadsheets including ours. So our points are not showing at the moment.

message 38: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly Since my book Heart of the Kraken wasn't used for Olympics - we can use it here.

There is a character (ore-mancer) named Zephaniah Nancy. Can be used for "N".

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Elinaly wrote: "Since my book Heart of the Kraken wasn't used for Olympics - we can use it here.

There is a character (ore-mancer) named Zephaniah Nancy. Can be used for "N"."

Thanks

We've been using the info on GR for characters for the banked books. If anyone knows of any other characters post them here.

message 40: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) Do animals count as characters? In the case of Assassin's Apprentice the main character can actually speak with them. If they do, then there is the dog Nosy for N.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Eli wrote: "Do animals count as characters? In the case of Assassin's Apprentice the main character can actually speak with them. If they do, then there is the dog Nosy for N."

A question about animals was put to the captains group and the feeling seems to be if they can talk to someone or if we see their point of view or they do something to advance the story they can be treated as a character. If it's just that one of the characters happens to own a pet or someone sees an animal then it wouldn't. So I say Nosy counts.

message 42: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) Do minor characters count or only main characters?

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Lusie wrote: "Do minor characters count or only main characters?"

The Mods have said this:

"They should have a speaking role or at the very least be an active part of the story. So not something like "Anna remembered her parents Frank and Mary who had died so long ago."
But this can squeak by "Anna could hear Frank, her father, speaking to her even beyond the grave. "Anna," she would hear him say, "You can't judge people by what they do without considering their intentions." She applied that to her life every day, especially today." Also, if there's something crazy like a mute main character, you can of course use them even though there's no speech."

So pretty much any character counts.

message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 23, 2016 06:31PM) (new)

There's a poll for best looking chariot. So far people are just voting for the team they are in.

message 45: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) Pigletto wrote: "There's a poll for best looking chariot. So far people are just voting for the team they are in.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1..."

It says I don't have permission to view the poll?

message 46: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) If we need more books with gold items on the cover, I have this one that I could read:

The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1) by Jennifer A. Nielsen

message 47: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Rodrigues (julianamfrodrigues) | 87 comments Pigletto wrote: "I've completed our word twice using the banked books. If we want to continue with Sprint we need books for these :

gold item on cover
letter - N

There's been a bit of an issue on some of the spre..."

My book Tales From The Universe Ten Amazing Stories From Tomorrow by Ricardo Victoria has a gold helmet.

message 48: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Rodrigues (julianamfrodrigues) | 87 comments And I basically agree with Filipa and Elinaly. Spin at least once a week to balance the letters and keep things interesting but wait and see how things goes to choose when to spin again.

message 49: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 23, 2016 06:30PM) (new)

Eli wrote: "Pigletto wrote: "There's a poll for best looking chariot. So far people are just voting for the team they are in.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1......"

Sorry, I thought it was in the NBRC group. It's in the Captain's Group. I don't really see the point of it as it's too hard to go through everyone's books to see who's one is the best. Plus everyone just seems to be voting for their own team.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Eli wrote: "If we need more books with gold items on the cover, I have this one that I could read:

The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1) by Jennifer A. Nielsen"

Yes, we are at a stand still as we have no more gold items at the moment.

« previous 1 3 4 5