SFF180 presents the Virga Readalong! discussion

Thanks to everyone! Onward...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wagner (sff180) | 7 comments Mod
The "official" period for the Virga readalong ends today, and I want to thank everyone who participated as well as Karl Schroeder for joining in and interacting with readers. I've enjoyed reading everyone's commentary (mainly I wanted to keep a hands-off approach to the group and not try to influence any discussions — my own reviews of these books can be found on my old site at sfreviews.net).

The goal here was to get everyone to try something new, by a writer new to most of you, and even if the books turned out to be not your thing, trying something new is always a worthwhile endeavor.

For those of you who would like to continue the series with the three remaining volumes — PIRATE SUN, THE SUNLESS COUNTRIES and ASHES OF CANDESCE — naturally I encourage you to do so. Let me know if you'd like me to open up discussion threads for those books, or you could just talk about them in this thread and the "Questions for Karl" thread.

Well done, everyone, and thank you all again.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (crflamesfan) Thanks you so much, Thomas for introducing me to this series. I just finished book 4 and I am looking forward to the final one in the series. I'd be interested in hearing about any other science fictions reads that you would recommend. Thank you, once again!

message 3: by Karl (new)

Karl Schroeder | 12 comments Ah, book four... I have a special fondness for Leal Hieronyma Maspeth, best history tutor and adventurer in Virga...

message 4: by Adam (new)

Adam Brickley | 7 comments Thanks so much Thomas for hosting this - and Karl for joining in! It was really quite a trip and definitely not one I would have picked off the shelf without a recommendation. Really enjoyed my time in Virga :-)

message 5: by Marc (new)

Marc | 12 comments Thanks for hosting this Thomas, much appreciated, really enjoyed it.

message 6: by Mustardseeds (new)

Mustardseeds | 4 comments Thanks for hosting! This was my first real readalong, and I enjoyed it a great deal, even if life interfered so I couldn't read as fast as I wanted.