Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Kitchen House
This topic is about The Kitchen House
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom; Adult Anything Goes BOM; Starts August 22, 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31507 comments Mod

This topic is open for discussion of The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:

When a white servant girl violates the order of plantation society, she unleashes a tragedy that exposes the worst and best in the people she has come to call her family. Orphaned while onboard ship from Ireland, seven-year-old Lavinia arrives on the steps of a tobacco plantation where she is to live and work with the slaves of the kitchen house. Under the care of Belle, the master's illegitimate daughter, Lavinia becomes deeply bonded to her adopted family, though she is set apart from them by her white skin.

Eventually, Lavinia is accepted into the world of the big house, where the master is absent and the mistress battles opium addiction. Lavinia finds herself perilously straddling two very different worlds. When she is forced to make a choice, loyalties are brought into question, dangerous truths are laid bare, and lives are put at risk.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 22, 2016 03:02AM) (new) - added it

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Aug 29, 2016 02:39AM) (new) - added it

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPQDs

22 Aug Prologue-7 1-63 Karen
23 Aug 8-15 64-122 Elinaly
24 Aug 16-28 123-183 Kaleen

**BREAK DAY**

26 Aug 29-35 184-250 Caroline
27 Aug 35-45 251-310 Karrie
28 Aug 46-55 311-388(end) Imke

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 22, 2016 03:03AM) (new) - added it

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments I'm in and volunteer to write questions.

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments I'm in for DQ's on this one :)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments I'm excited about this one! I will write questions.

Elinaly | 488 comments I'm in and volunteer for DQ!

Kaleen | 60 comments So looking forward to this book! I can do questions :)

message 10: by Tamara (new) - added it

Tamara I would love to join you but will not be able to do questions, sorry!

message 11: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Chapter breakdown posted. Please yell out if one of the dates doesn't work for you!

message 12: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Comments and Questions
August 22
Prologue - Chapter 7

1. Why did you decide to read this book?

2. How are you finding the writing style? Do you like the switching point of views between Belle and Lavinia?

3. Although my copy has a reference in one of the recommendations to The Help, I'm personally finding this completely different (time period, a white indentured servant etc.) Have you read The Help? Or any books that you think are similar to this?

4. Any favourite characters so far?

5. I'm quite concerned about Marshall. Do you think he will be the villain of the story?

6. In the prologue we discover that in the future someone is hung from that Oak tree. Any predictions for who that may be?

Elinaly | 488 comments Prologue - Chapter 7

It's a book of the month and I like to read books from that time period (I'm not from USA, so I like to know more about American history through historical fiction books).

2. How are you finding the writing style? Do you like the switching point of views between Belle and Lavinia?
I really like that the story is first told through Lavinia's (child) eyes and after that is given short summary from the Belle's (adult) point of view.
I'm getting used to the writing style, but at first such so to say "incorrect grammar" was a bit annoying.

3. Have you read The Help? Or any books that you think are similar to this?
I loved "The Help" and I find both books quite similar. Though as I remember "The Help" wasn't so cruel as "The Kitchen House".
So far I enjoyed "Help" more - too much cruelty in book is a turnoff for me.

Ahhh, don't you just love Mama Mae?! And of course George and Ben. Sally is also unbelievably lovable.

5. I'm quite concerned about Marshall. Do you think he will be the villain of the story?
I don't think he will be the villain (I really hope that he won't). And if he even will be "evil" in his teenage years, I'm more than sure that something will happen that will make him change his ways.
But I am so afraid about what his tutor is doing to him (gosh I hope its not sexual abuse - I hate that theme in books). I almost put the book down after reading about Marshall and his tutor, only the next days DQ-writing kept me reading.

6. In the prologue we discover that in the future someone is hung from that Oak tree. Any predictions for who that may be?
I'm afraid it will be Belle and not voluntarily. But it could be also Miss Martha's suicide.

message 14: by Kaleen (last edited Aug 23, 2016 01:37PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kaleen | 60 comments Comments and Questions
August 22
Prologue - Chapter 7

I love historical fiction and books with strong female protagonists.

2. How are you finding the writing style? Do you like the switching point of views between Belle and Lavinia? It took me a little bit to get used to the writing style, but I am enjoying it more. I wish we could get more from Belle's point of view.

3. Although my copy has a reference in one of the recommendations to The Help, I'm personally finding this completely different (time period, a white indentured servant etc.) Have you read The Help? Or any books that you think are similar to this? I haven't read the The Help, although I have seen the movie. I suppose it's a little similar considering the character structure. Can't think of any other books at the moment.

4. Any favourite characters so far? Mama Mae all the way!!

5. I'm quite concerned about Marshall. Do you think he will be the villain of the story? I definitely think he will be a character that does bad things, but at the same time you kind of pitty him.

6. In the prologue we discover that in the future someone is hung from that Oak tree. Any predictions for who that may be? Either Belle or Mama Mae :(

Elinaly | 488 comments QUESTIONS - 23 August, chapters 8-15:

7. Do you think what happened to Sally was an accident or did Marshall do it on purpose? If latter then why? (Speculate!)

8. How do you feel about what happened to Mr. Waters? Relief or do you think there had to be another way to solve all this?

9. It seems that Miss Martha has neglected her own children and is giving her full attention to Lavinia. Why is she acting like this?

10. We saw that if needed Martha can take control of the situation and act like the real landlord. Why does she prefer to remain in the background and not to manage the household while her husband is away?

11. Is it too late for Marshall to show more humanity and respect towards the slaves as his parents do or has his tutor (Mr. Waters) been able to "brainwash" him and Marshall will take over the attitude and manners of people like Rankin and Waters?

12. How do you feel - is the story too cruel or do the occasional little jokes and cheerful moments keep it all in balance?

13. Who do you find is the most irritating character at the moment? Why?
(Lets leave Waters and Rankin out)

message 16: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica (jessyann84) | 26 comments 1. Why did you decide to read this book?
I picked this book because I am a fan of historical fiction, especially novels that take place during 17th and 18th centuries.

I am enjoying the writing style. I do like the switching of viewpoints between a child and a grown woman.

3. Although my copy has a reference in one of the recommendations to The Help, I'm personally finding this completely different (time period, a white indentured servant etc.) Have you read The Help? Or any books that you think are similar to this?
I have not had a chance to read The Help.

4. Any favorite characters so far?
Mama Mae, George, and Ben!

It’s possible, especially if his tutor is molesting and abusing him. He may act out horribly because he has no other vice.

With the reaction of Lavinia, I believe it to be someone close to the character and central to the story. Maybe Belle or Mama Mae.

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments August 22
Prologue - Chapter 7

I didn't read many books about slavery in the US so I was interested to discover this.

I don't really like it, at this point I don't feel it brings something to the story except when Belle tells things about the past. I would prefer if it were only from Lavinia's point of view.

No I did'nt read the Help, and as I said no other books about slavery.

I really like Lavinia and her sweet character. I feel she was very strong to be able to go through the loss of her family.

I think that maybe his tutor is filling him with hate toward the slaves. And that he hurted his sister because she was hanging out too much with them... So yes I think he will be the villain because of all of this.

I don't know yet, but I see that Ben has a strong character and he will stand up against something he doesn't agree with. So maybe it will be him ?

Poonam | 175 comments August 22
Prologue - Chapter 7

It's a very interesting concept and I haven't read anything like this before.

It is interesting and I am liking both the points of view (one of an adult and one of a child) but sometimes I do get confused whose point I am reading.

I haven't read anything like this before but even I have read reviews stating some similarities to 'The Help'.
I may read 'The Help' at some later point and have added it to my tbr pile.

I obviously like Lavinia. I also like Mama Mae and George. What a perfect couple. I am not soo sure about Belle yet. Sometimes I understand her but at the start I did not like her much.

I am not sure if he is going to be a villain but what is happening to him is definitely going to impact his further decisions. He also obviously hates Belle and may lead to something negative.

Maybe Marshall....

Poonam | 175 comments QUESTIONS - 23 August, chapters 8-15:

7. Do you think what happened to Sally was an accident or did Marshall do it on purpose? If latter then why? (Speculate!)
Marshall was scared, frustrated and angry with what was happening to him. I think Sally requesting Waters to ask Marshall to push her swing somewhere triggered Marshall's anger and he did what he did in fit of anger. There was other instances where he has no control on his emotions anymore and is turning out to be a violent person due to the trauma he has suffered.

8. How do you feel about what happened to Mr. Waters? Relief or do you think there had to be another way to solve all this?
He deserved to be murdered. Got what he deserved I feel!

9. It seems that Miss Martha has neglected her own children and is giving her full attention to Lavinia. Why is she acting like this?
She is unable to connect to her son's because she is mourning her daughter and the incident with her daughter has triggered her loss of her younger sister too. She is clearly filling this gap in her life with Lavinia.

10. We saw that if needed Martha can take control of the situation and act like the real landlord. Why does she prefer to remain in the background and not to manage the household while her husband is away?
Because of the numerous losses she has suffered and the cards life has dealt her not being to her liking has effected her on a mental level. She seems to be a mentally weak person and only acts when forced to, then prefers to recede back in her memories.

11. Is it too late for Marshall to show more humanity and respect towards the slaves as his parents do or has his tutor (Mr. Waters) been able to "brainwash" him and Marshall will take over the attitude and manners of people like Rankin and Waters?
Marshall is now 13 yrs old and some things we learn at this age sticks. Something drastic will need to happen for his attitude and thinking to change otherwise this is how he is going to be.

12. How do you feel - is the story too cruel or do the occasional little jokes and cheerful moments keep it all in balance?
The story is not cruel but reflects the facts that happened in the 1700's and 1800's. Slavery is a bitter truth and the book till now really showcases how people made good of what they had even in dire situations....

Hmmm, this is a difficult question and the main 2 people are out of the competition here... Apart from these 2 I think I don't like Captain very much, the whole thing about letting everyone think your daughter is your mistress is just yucky! He is a man with Power and I know the society was very orthodox back then but he could have done at least something' about it...

Kaleen | 60 comments QUESTIONS - 23 August, chapters 8-15:

I think it was an accident. I can already tell he is one of those people with a lot of anger, and it will lead him to lash out, in ways that he later regrets.

8. How do you feel about what happened to Mr. Waters? Relief or do you think there had to be another way to solve all this? I am relieved. It could have ended much worse.

9. It seems that Miss Martha has neglected her own children and is giving her full attention to Lavinia. Why is she acting like this? I think it is a way of self preservation. She is so afraid of giving her love to the only to have them die in the end.

10. We saw that if needed Martha can take control of the situation and act like the real landlord. Why does she prefer to remain in the background and not to manage the household while her husband is away? No doubt she has been dealing with mental illness. Then on top of that an opiate addiction. But I suspect things are going to change.

11. Is it too late for Marshall to show more humanity and respect towards the slaves as his parents do or has his tutor (Mr. Waters) been able to "brainwash" him and Marshall will take over the attitude and manners of people like Rankin and Waters? It could happen, but I don't think so. He has a lot of issues to deal with. Anger is easier.

12. How do you feel - is the story too cruel or do the occasional little jokes and cheerful moments keep it all in balance? Its a rough story. I hope it gets a little bit more cheerful.

Martha, without a doubt. She is so clueless, and full of it.

Kaleen | 60 comments I will try to get questions up tonight, but I may not be able to until tomorrow. I will get them up as soon as possible!

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments QUESTIONS - 23 August, chapters 8-15:

I don't think he really intended to kill her, but maybe he was jealous and wanted to hurt her ?

I really hate that we never now what really happens. Is he beating Marshal or abusing him... It is never clear and we can only guess... I don't think that they know any better than to get rid of him because no one can ever listen to them.

She seems very trouble and she tries to live in the past and since Lavinia looks like Isabelle, it helps her.

She seems really bored to always be alone, so she can't find any motivation in this.

He looks like he is going to be more and more like Rankin and Waters. Even more because his mother doesn't pay him any attention, so he seeks it through Rankin and Waters.

I don't really like the story at this point... It is the real cliché with the bad white people. We never really know what's happening.

At first it was Martha.. I was so over with her being so self centered and never take part of the life on the estate. But now I see that she can be a powerful women when she wants...

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Kaleen wrote: "I will try to get questions up tonight, but I may not be able to until tomorrow. I will get them up as soon as possible!"

Thanks Kaleen! :)

message 24: by Kaleen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kaleen | 60 comments Chapters 16-28
14. Do you think Marshall going away to school is a good idea? Maybe he is only influenced by Rankin.

15. I have been confused by the Captain's treatment of Belle. Why does he keep the fact that she is his daughter a secret, but seems so eager to help her out?

16. I really like the idea of a relationship developing between Belle and Will. However, Belle seems set on Ben. What do you think of their relationship?

17. Will says that Rankin is gone for good. Do you believe that?

18. The death of the Captain is clearly a turning point in the story. I so hope that things start to turn for the better, but I have a bad feeling. Anyone else?

19. Lavinia is now venturing off to Williamsburg where she will no longer be mixing quite as much with black slaves. How do you see her being able to adapt to this?

Jessica (jessyann84) | 26 comments 7. Do you think what happened to Sally was an accident or did Marshall do it on purpose? If latter then why? (Speculate!)
Marshall was scared and went a little overboard. I do not believe that what he did was intentional.

Mr. Waters got what he deserved. Martha didn’t see what was happening and the Captain asked Mr. Waters to stay when he was almost out the door. The servants did what they thought was best to protect their master’s child.

I think Miss Martha finds comfort in Lavinia during this time of loss, because she reminds her so much of her sister. She has lost so many children already, that she may find it pointless to connect with the other children because they too could pass unexpectedly.

I don’t think it’s a preference to remain in the background, I think it’s depression that keeps her from managing the household while the Captain is away. I see Miss Martha as a very passive woman, who doesn’t put her foot down unless it’s absolutely necessary.

For Marshall’s sake I hope it’s not too late. However, with the Captain gone most of the time and Martha’s opium use, Marshall does not have positive role models around. His ideals will reflect those of the people he is around most of the time, like Rankin and Waters.

I feel there is a balance between life’s realities during the given time period and the little jokes.

Miss Martha, because obviously she has shown she can stand her ground while the Captain is gone, but refuses to take complete control. Then there are her children, who could use a mother figure around instead of an addict.

Jessica (jessyann84) | 26 comments 14. Do you think Marshall going away to school is a good idea? Maybe he is only influenced by Rankin.
Yes, Marshall going away to school is a good idea. Maybe his attitude will improve.

15. I have been confused by the Captain's treatment of Belle. Why does he keep the fact that she is his daughter a secret, but seems so eager to help her out?
He keeps it a secret, because it’s taboo. I think it would have been worse for Belle if Miss Martha knew Belle was his daughter, as he seemed to favor Belle more.

16. I really like the idea of a relationship developing between Belle and Will. However, Belle seems set on Ben. What do you think of their relationship?
I think Belle and Will would be great together, but I also think Belle and Ben would be great together. Each one has something different to offer Belle.

I don’t believe it. A bad seed like that is never gone for good. There is always some sort of retribution.

18. The death of the Captain is clearly a turning point in the story. I so hope that things start to turn for the better, but I have a bad feeling. Anyone else?
I see a turn for the better. However, depending on the way Marshall turns out, things could go bad once he returns to the plantation.

19. Lavinia is now venturing off to Williamsburg where she will no longer be mixing quite as much with black slaves. How do you see her being able to adapt to this?
Lavinia has been able to easily adapt to what life has thrown her way and is strong willed. I do not see her having a problem adapting to her new surroundings. If anything, her experience as an indentured servant may help her excel.

Poonam | 175 comments Chapters 16-28

14. Do you think Marshall going away to school is a good idea? Maybe he is only influenced by Rankin.
Marshall definitely needs to be away from the Plantation and Rankin. I do believe Rankin is a bad influence but now somewhere Marshall is a grownup and he is not a good person is putting it mildly.

I had answered this previously as well that I do not like Captian for the way he has dealt with the Belle situation. He obviously loves her as a father but is unable to face society and is scared his wife will leave him if she knows the truth.

I don't see anything actually happening between Belle and Will (even though Will is a great guy). She is with Ben and will be with Ben till the end I think....

I don't believe it. We haven't got a closure on Rankin and I still think there are parts of the story where he will return.

Definitely bad. Nothing much good is happening in this story and the tone of the story itself is sad.

It's a turning point in Lavinia's life and I am curious to see what happens next....

message 28: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Comments and Questions August 22 Prologue - Chapter 7

Because it was book of the month and I was drawn to the story.

I like the writing style, but sometimes the switching between Belle and Lavinia is a bit distracting.

I haven't read the help but it is on my tbr, I have seen the movie. I haven't read books similar to this book, but I want to.

Mamma Mae and Papa George, I like how they have made Lavinia feel at home and cared for. They treat her just like their own children.

No, I think he is very troubled and the tutor is doing something to him that is making the way he is now.

I think it is Belle, based on the green scarf.

message 29: by Imke (last edited Aug 26, 2016 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments QUESTIONS - 23 August, chapters 8-15:

I think it was an accident, Marshall did push her to hard because he was frustrated and angry but I don't think he wanted her to get hurt like she did. And from Lavinia's story we get that they don't know if she fell or jumped from the swing.

I think this should have been solved before this happened, the captain should have listened to his staff and family and fired Mr. Waters.

I think giving Lavinia attention feels safe for her. I think she his afraid to lose her children. Also Lavinia reminds her of her sister and maybe happier times when she was younger.

I think this was an effect of reducing the laudanum and she is now getting out of a stupor. She is literally waking up to the situation and can't hide behind drugs anymore.

I think it is to late for Marshall, I think more went on between him and the tutor (some form of abuse) and I think if the captain had intervened he would have had a chance.

I can still take it, but bad things seem to happen a little much to this family it is getting silly and unrealistic. There is too much drama. But the way the family interacts and takes care of each other is something that makes reading this worth while.

The captain, he is absent and doesn't listen to the people closest to him.

message 30: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Chapters 16-28
I think it is, it keeps him away from Rankin but I'm afraid the damage is already done. It will give some peace to the family.

I think he is eager to get rid of her, he loves her but he forsees problems with Martha and Rankin and he wants her safe.

It is an impossible relationship for that time. I'm sure Belle and Will are attracted to each other, but I think Belle loves Ben.

No

I think things will get worse as soon as Marshall finishes school and returns home to the plantation.

I think she will have a lot of problems at first but she will adjust. I think she is going to be kept busy studying and taking care of Martha.

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments Chapters 16-28

I think it must be good for him being with other boys his age. He was too much with older men at home.

I was very shocked that there was nothing in the testament for her... How could he always promise her things and then never act on them ?

I think they are just flirting and Will knows nothing can ever happen between them... And we see that Belle and Ben are becoming closer since Rankin re-disappeared.

No I don't... He always seems to appear when you don't expect him and most of the time with Marshall.. I think when Marshall comes back from school and take over the plantaton, he will fire Will and hire Rankin again...

As as said before, I really think everything will be worse when Marshall takes over the plantation.

She will certainly miss them a lot but I think she'll realize how much her life is going to be different from Fanny and Beanie. I think she will adapt quite well she is very bright and she was very strong when she first arrive at the plantation even after all the things she suffered. So this is only a new step in her life.

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments Chapter 29-35

20. Lavinia seems to grow quite close to Marshall. How do you think their relationship will evolve after their wedding ?

21. What do you think of the hidden relationship between Belle and Ben ? Do you think Lucy will ever leave Ben ?

22. It is now quite clear that Mme Martha will never recover from her sickness. The treatments at this time were very rudimental. Do you think those treatments worsen her case ? And what do you is her sickness ?

23. Marshall seems to get better with his temper. But the incident of Mr Assomane’s death left me perplex… I don’t know if Marshall was involved as he wanted so badly to protect Lavina. What do you think about this ?

24. With Lavinia and Marshall back at Tall Oaks, how do you think the slaves will react to their wedding ? And Will ?

25. I can’t help thinking that Marshall will ask Rankins to get back at the plantation and resume his hard treatment. Do you think he will come back ?

26. I don’t know if Belle will tell Lavinia that Jamie is Marshall’s baby… It may evolve in a very hard relationship. Do you think Belle will confide to Lavinia ?

Poonam | 175 comments Chapter 29-35

20. Lavinia seems to grow quite close to Marshall. How do you think their relationship will evolve after their wedding ?
It can go 2 ways, Marshall will be cruel and they will have a strainful relation leading Lavinia into a bitter women or else Lavinia will adjust and soothe out Marshall when he is angry or cruel and will lead a repressed life. I can't see it going well for Lavinia either way.....

21. What do you think of the hidden relationship between Belle and Ben ? Do you think Lucy will ever leave Ben ?
I do not like what Ben is doing to both the women in his life (being true to neither). Belle is wrong to expect him to leave his wife and child for her and I just feel plain sorry for Lucy.
I don't think Lucy will ever leave Ben (as she has nowhere to go)

It is now quite clear that Mme Martha will never recover from her sickness. The treatments at this time were very rudimental. Do you think those treatments worsen her case ? And what do you is her sickness ?
It is a mental sickness and opium used as a sedative keeps her in control but is also somewhere harming her...

23. Marshall seems to get better with his temper. But the incident of Mr Assomane’s death left me perplex… I don’t know if Marshall was involved as he wanted so badly to protect Lavina. What do you think about this ?
I am quiet certain that it was Marshall who killed him in anger and as an act of revenge. Marshall does have a soft spot for Lavinia but if she favors the slaves in the Plantation, things can turn out really bad for her too...

24. With Lavinia and Marshall back at Tall Oaks, how do you think the slaves will react to their wedding ? And Will ?
I am sure that slaves who know about Marshall's past and his current attitude and anger issues will be worried about Lavinia and will try to protect her from any harm.

25. I can’t help thinking that Marshall will ask Rankins to get back at the plantation and resume his hard treatment. Do you think he will come back ?
Yes, there are high chances this may happen.

26. I don’t know if Belle will tell Lavinia that Jamie is Marshall’s baby… It may evolve in a very hard relationship. Do you think Belle will confide to Lavinia ?
No as she has already married Marshall, I don't think Belle will think about confiding as it will not help the situation. But it is quiet probable that Lavinia may find out about this through some other means in the course of this story- ironic as she rejected Will thinking he is the father of Belle's child and ended up marrying the actual father....

Kay Kay | 1794 comments 1. Why did you decide to read this book?
It was the BOM

I don't mind the switching view points, but I did have trouble at first because both view points were first person. For some reason that threw me this time.

I have read The Help and really liked it. I really like this time period better though. The Invention of Wings was an excellent book!

4. Any favourite characters so far? Sally. (Sadly)

I hope not. Right now he seems to be a victim. I hope that he gets help and can overcome.

No.

Jessica (jessyann84) | 26 comments Chapter 29-35

Either Lavinia will be a positive influence on Marshall and everything will be great or Marshall goes back to his old ways and life will be miserable for Lavinia.

The relationship between Belle and Ben doesn’t shock me. I don’t think Lucy will leave Ben.

22. It is now quite clear that Mme Martha will never recover from her sickness. The treatments at this time were very rudimental. Do you think those treatments worsen her case ? And what do you is her sickness ?

Yes, I believe the treatments are worsening her sickness. Her actions when Marshall and his aunt visited were far different than when she was at Tall Oaks. I think Miss Martha suffers from severe depression.

I suspected Marshall had something to do with the death, because of his temper and his need to protect Lavinia from the rumors that were being spread around about what happened.

I think the slaves will stand by Lavinia, but I do not think they will be happy about her decision to marry Marshall. They’ve all seen what he can do. I think Will will be disappointed as well, and stay away.

Yes, I think there is a great possibility that Rankins will be back.

Secrets have a way of coming out on the plantation, so if Belle doesn’t confide in Lavinia, I’m sure she’ll find out eventually.

Kaleen | 60 comments Chapter 29-35

I think Marshall really likes Lavinia. Like she resembles the good he used to have in himself. Regardless, I doubt that will be enough for him. I don't see it evolving well.

21. What do you think of the hidden relationship between Belle and Ben ? Do you think Lucy will ever leave Ben ? I don't like it. I Don't think Lucy will ever leave Ben though.

22. It is now quite clear that Mme Martha will never recover from her sickness. The treatments at this time were very rudimental. Do you think those treatments worsen her case ? And what do you is her sickness ? Absolutely it worsens her. She probably has some depression and only made worse by her opiate addiction.

23. Marshall seems to get better with his temper. But the incident of Mr Assomane’s death left me perplex… I don’t know if Marshall was involved as he wanted so badly to protect Lavina. What do you think about this ? He did it, no doubt.

24. With Lavinia and Marshall back at Tall Oaks, how do you think the slaves will react to their wedding ? And Will ? It will not go well. I think it will have a negative impact on all of her relationships.

25. I can’t help thinking that Marshall will ask Rankins to get back at the plantation and resume his hard treatment. Do you think he will come back ? Yes. Maybe not right away, but I definitely think at some point he will be invited back.

26. I don’t know if Belle will tell Lavinia that Jamie is Marshall’s baby… It may evolve in a very hard relationship. Do you think Belle will confide to Lavinia? I don't think Belle will, but I can see Mama or Will eventually telling her.

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Drat! New goal -- to not be late on BOM questions for the rest of 2016. I will try to post tomorrow. (I was late getting this one from the library. There was a sob story with my nook dying and changing library accounts, but that is just life and reading carnage.)

message 38: by Kay Kay (last edited Aug 27, 2016 07:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay Kay | 1794 comments 7. Do you think what happened to Sally was an accident or did Marshall do it on purpose? If latter then why? (Speculate!)
Yes. I don't think that he meant to hurt her. I think he came back because he wanted to avoid Waters, and his fear, and helplessness got the best of him.

Well, of course there would have been another way, but I am satisfied with the way it worked out.

I think she sees it as a way to deny Sally's death.

It might be a sign of the times. It might also be that she struggles with depression, but can rise to the occasion. She really does care, but has a hard time.

There is always time for growth and change. Let's hope that Marshall is able to do that for the better.

It is suspenseful. There are some pretty ugly parts, but slavery is an ugly thing. I don't like books that try to make it seem like the slaves might not have had it so bad. It was bad!

Marshall. I understand that he has been victimized, but I am impatient with his lack of compassion or care for others.

Kay Kay | 1794 comments 14. Do you think Marshall going away to school is a good idea? Maybe he is only influenced by Rankin.
Yes. It gets him away from Rankin. Maybe he will find a good influence at school.

I think because she is black he can't claim her openly.

I think for the same reason Belle is stuck between two worlds. She can't have Will, and Ben the one she wants she is not supposed to have either.

No. But I hope so. Yuck!

Yeah, It won't be good. I fear for Belle and Jamie. I wish (hope) that Lavinia gets into a position where she can help them.

If she is smart she will try to find a way to help her "family".

message 40: by Kay Kay (last edited Aug 27, 2016 11:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay Kay | 1794 comments 20. Lavinia seems to grow quite close to Marshall. How do you think their relationship will evolve after their wedding ?
No. I think going home will be bad for him. I think he will begin drinking and become mean.

No. I don't think Lucy has the power or ability to leave Ben. Belle really should leave Ben alone, but they don't really have any options because they don't really have any freedom.

I think that she had what they would have called a nervous break down. I'm sure that the treatments did not help and how could the environment be beneficial at all!

I think that Marshall killed him.

I think it will all turn out bad. But maybe there will be a way to a few happy endings. Hmmmm.

Yep. And he will bring the drinking and the trouble.

I think that Lavinia will find out, but I'm not sure how. Maybe Will will tell her that he never had anything to do with Belle. That should get Lavinia's wheel's turning.

message 41: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Chapter 29-35

It won't evolve, I think Marshall will fall into his old ways and he will ignore Lavinia.

I don't like it, it is not healthy for either of them and Ben needs to make a choice. I don't think Lucy will leave him, because she needs him for his children.

They do worsen her, I think she will not get better but she needs attention and care. I think she is derpressed and addicted to opium.

I don't know, he may have had someting to do with it.

Will will be dissapointed and I think the slaves will retract themselves from Lavinia, because her station in life changed and Marshall will not accept her socializing with them.

Yep

No I don't think Belle will confide in her, I think Lavinia needs to see for herself that Jamie is Marshall's son and not Will's.

message 42: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments I have finished todays questions, shall I wait for Karrie to post hers?

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Here they are!

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Chapters 36 - 45

27. Were you surprised that Marshall started drinking so soon after arriving at Tall Oaks?

28. Do you think Marshall ever loved Lavinia, or do you think he just wanted to take something away from Will?

29. Do you think Marshall knows that Belle's baby is his? If not why do you think he took the baby?

30. This story is filled with unusual relationships. I was surprised that Lavinia would become jealous of Beattie. I was also surprised to find that Marshall was still upset about his suspected relationship between Belle and his father. The relationships are not healthy and there is a lot of jealousy where there should just be grief. What do you think? Is there a relationship that stands out as strange to you?

31. Belle says, "Beattie don't get to pick nothing except to figure out how she's best gonna handle this." I think this is a powerful quote. Does it speak to you at all? Have you found a favorite quote or scene in this story?

32. Lavinia calls Will a coward! What????? Because he respects her wedding vows!! I suppose she is upset because she wants to be rescued. What do you think?

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Thanks for waiting! I will be on time next time!

message 46: by Imke (last edited Aug 28, 2016 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Chapters 36 - 45

27. Were you surprised that Marshall started drinking so soon after arriving at Tall Oaks?
No.

28. Do you think Marshall ever loved Lavinia, or do you think he just wanted to take something away from Will?
I think he likes/loves Lavinia as a sister and wanted to give her her home back by marrying her.

29. Do you think Marshall knows that Belle's baby is his? If not why do you think he took the baby?
I think Marshall thinks the captain fathered Belle's baby. He took Jamie to spite her.

30. This story is filled with unusual relationships. I was surprised that Lavinia would become jealous of Beattie. I was also surprised to find that Marshall was still upset about his suspected relationship between Belle and his father. The relationships are not healthy and there is a lot of jealousy where there should just be grief. What do you think? Is there a relationship that stands out as strange to you?
I think the relationship between papa George and mama Mae, because out of all the relationships in the book it is the only "normal" one where two people care about each other.

31. Belle says, "Beattie don't get to pick nothing except to figure out how she's best gonna handle this." I think this is a powerful quote. Does it speak to you at all? Have you found a favorite quote or scene in this story?
I have a two, and there goes one of my questions ;). 1 "This world not the only home. This world is for practice to get things right. Times, the Lawd say, 'Nope, that mama, that baby Henry, they too sweet to stay away from Me no more. I brings them home.'" This was said by mama Mae when Lavinia started to remember what happened to her mother. 2 I also loved this one from papa George: "Abinia, he said pointing toward the chickens, you look at these birds. Some of them be brown, some of them be white and black. Do you think when they little chicks those mamas and papas care about that?"

32. Lavinia calls Will a coward! What????? Because he respects her wedding vows!! I suppose she is upset because she wants to be rescued. What do you think?
I think she is frustrated and dissapointed by how her marriage and return to Tall Oakes turned out and she is very lonely.

message 47: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Chapter 46-end

33. Life is getting worse for Lavinia at Tall Oakes and she seeks refuge in laudanum. What do think of ho she is handling her situation? Do you think she can beat her addiction?

34. Marshall is running the farm into the ground. I wonder why his uncle Mr. Madden doesn't step in. Can you think of a reason?

35. Finally it is revealed who was hanged in the prologue, what do you think of mama Mae's sacrifice? Do you think there could have been an other solution?

36. What do you think happened to Rankin?

37. Do you think that if the captain was honest from the start about Belle being his daughter, a lot of the tragic events could have been avoided?

In the back of my book there were some discussion questions here are a few:

38. Discuss the significance of birds and the birdsnests in the novel. What do you think they symbolize?

39. "I was as enslaved as all the others" Do you think this statement by Laviniais fair? Is her position equivalent to those of the slaves? What freedom does she have that the slaves do not? What burdens does her race put upon her?

message 48: by Poonam (last edited Aug 28, 2016 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Poonam | 175 comments Chapters 36 - 45

No, I wasn't surprised as this was a problem which his uncle tried to control when he was in Williamsburg. I was expecting something like this to happen.

I don't think it was anything to do with Will. Marshall did care about Lavinia and was protective about her but somewhere he treated her as a child would treat his favorite toy.

I think he knows the baby is his as Rankin knows it and told Ida, so obviously Marshall has to be aware of it but in some places I felt he thinks it's his dad's as he keeps referring to Belle as his father's whore... It's a bit confusing as to what Marshall knows on this.

All the relations are strange from Belle-Ben-Lucy to Lavinia-Marshall-Beattie to Marshall-Lavinia-Will to Rankin-Ida. I hate the infidelity, casual take on sex and the destructive relationships throughout this book and the only relation I really like is Mama Mae and Papa George.

I absolutely agree with Belle's say on this. Beattie is after all a slave and has no power in the situation.
I don't have a favorite scene in the story. Overall most of it is depressing to me but I do like the scene's with Papa George in them.

I think Lavinia is a lonely, frustrated and bitter women. What Will did is right as nothing can come out of this situation. Will is a gentleman and not a coward.

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments Chapters 36 - 45

No, I was really expecting it... And also that he is being his old self again..

I think he is feeling attached to her as it reminds him of the time his mother was more like Lavinia.

29. Do you think Marshall knows that Belle's baby is his? If not why do you think he took the baby? Of course he knows it. Jamie is like a doppleganger of him at a younger age, and he surely rememers waht he did to Belle at that time.

I really don't know why Marshall's father never told him that Belle was his daughter. It might have suppress a lot of anger.. But at the same time, Marshall could have been jealous of Belle.

This is a very deep tought and it reminds us that Belle is a very smart character. At the same time, we can all relate to this quote because we all have, at a certain moment in our life, had to do something we didn't want. Of course it may not be as bad as what Beattie went through..

I think she was really upset because she can't find a way out of her marriage and she thought for a moment that Will would save her. I am sure she will not hold any grudge against Will because she knows he can't do anything. At the same time, she might be angry that Will saved Belle from Tall Oaks but he can't save her as well?

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments Chapter 46-end

33. Life is getting worse for Lavinia at Tall Oakes and she seeks refuge in laudanum. What do think of ho she is handling her situation? Do you think she can beat her addiction?

As we saw she beats her addiction... But I can't help thinking I could never bear a situation like she had with Marshall.. She was very strong and had good help from Mama Mae at the end. She couldn't have done it without her.

34. Marshall is running the farm into the ground. I wonder why his uncle Mr. Madden doesn't step in. Can you think of a reason?
I think he is afraid of his reaction, and has Marshall reached his majority Mr.Madden can't help with anything... Except telling Lavinia he is there if she needs her

35. Finally it is revealed who was hanged in the prologue, what do you think of mama Mae's sacrifice? Do you think there could have been an other solution?
She was always there to protect her family until the end... There must have been another solution, but none that wouldn't end with a death.

36. What do you think happened to Rankin?
I honestly don't care, I just wish he is long gone by now and won't trouble anyone again !!

37. Do you think that if the captain was honest from the start about Belle being his daughter, a lot of the tragic events could have been avoided?
I don't really thinks so, because instead Marshall would have been terribly jealous of her. So it means he would be as violent as he was then...

In the back of my book there were some discussion questions here are a few:

38. Discuss the significance of birds and the birdsnests in the novel. What do you think they symbolize?
I think the symbolize the need of a family home. Lavinia was always seeking a home for herself, and she tought she did by marrying Marshall and coming back home. Until she realized it would not be so easy.

39. "I was as enslaved as all the others" Do you think this statement by Laviniais fair? Is her position equivalent to those of the slaves? What freedom does she have that the slaves do not? What burdens does her race put upon her?
I really think she was as enslaved as the others. She had no way out of this house and could not voice her true opinion with Marshall around...

« previous 1