Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1)
This topic is about Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
Previous BOMs - Authors; A - D > Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli; YA BOM; Starts August 2, 2016

Comments (showing 1-50 of 51) (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25547 comments
This topic is open for discussion of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:

Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.

With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Jul 22, 2016 03:00AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25547 comments What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Aug 06, 2016 10:53PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25547 comments Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPQDs

2 Aug 1-5 1-56 Imke
3 Aug 6-14 57-119 Lora
4 Aug 15-21 120-180 Marcelina
5 Aug 22-28 181-239         Karen
6 Aug 29-35 240-303         Karen

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Jul 22, 2016 03:01AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25547 comments Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

Imke (immie75) | 1410 comments I'm in and volunteer to write questions.

Kay Kay | 1790 comments I have already read this one. I will check in on the discussion. But I not be writing questions.

Lora (lr555) | 5 comments I'm a newbie but I'm really interested in this book and I would love to write questions if it's okay.

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments Sure thing Lora, welcome!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to volunteer for DQ questions. I just got myself a copy of this book from scribd.

message 10: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 25547 comments Breakdown posted.
Please let us know if you;d prefer a different date for your DQs

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 11: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora (lr555) | 5 comments Thank you, Karen!

I'm ok with my date.

What is the best time to post questions?

message 12: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments Just whenever works for you Lora. We are all on different time zones anyhow ;)
Just number your questions from where Imke finishes (so if she posts 1-5 for her day for example, you would start with 6) as it helps those reading at a different pace to know which part people are commenting on

message 13: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora (lr555) | 5 comments That's great, I was really worried about time-zones.

Oh, that makes sense. Will do :)

Thank you so much, Karen!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

My date looks good to me! :)

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments No probs Lora ;)

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments I wasn't sure I was in the mood for YA, but I have to say, I've started and I'm quite enjoying it. Looking forward to the discussion!

message 17: by Imke (last edited Aug 02, 2016 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1410 comments Discussion Questions Chapters 1-5

1. The book starts with a bang, Simon being blackmailed by Martin. Do you think Simon really wants to keep his relationship with Blue a secret? Yes he made an email account under an alias, but then accesses it in a library and forgets to log out, seems subconsciously he wants people to know. I don’t get the deep in the closet vibe from Simon, it feels to me he is out he only hasn’t told anyone and doesn’t seem to find it important. How do you feel about the way Simon acts about coming out?

2. What do you think of the email exchange between “Jaques” and Blue? Do you like the way they interact through email?

3. I love that this book seems to be about a pretty normal 16 year old, with the normal 16 year old problems. It is very relaxing to read. What do you like about the story so far?

4. What do you think of Simon’s friends and family? And Simon is he a character you like? Do you think he should just come out to his friends and family? From what I’ve read so far, he doesn’t have anything to be afraid of.

5. I love the humor in this book. My favorite so far: ”Nora looks up from her book.”Simon. Eww.” “It’s a dementor robe over my clothes. I think you’ll survive.” ”What’s a dementor?” I mean, I can’t even. “Nora, you are no longer my sister.” ”So it’s some Harry Potter thing,” she says. But also the family talk about “The Bachelor” is so funny. Do you have any favorite quotes? Do you like the writing style?

Kaleen | 60 comments 1. The book starts with a bang, Simon being blackmailed by Martin. Do you think Simon really wants to keep his relationship with Blue a secret? Yes he made an email account under an alias, but then accesses it in a library and forgets to log out, seems subconsciously he wants people to know. I don’t get the deep in the closet vibe from Simon, it feels to me he is out he only hasn’t told anyone and doesn’t seem to find it important. How do you feel about the way Simon acts about coming out?
I agree that he doesn't seem to be deeply in the closet. I think this has a lot to do with his family and friends. They all seem like it wouldn't be a big deal to them. I'm sure that a small part of Simon wants to expose his secret with Blue, but I think it's mostly carelessness on his part and an eagerness to constantly check his email wherever he is, which has happened to most of us, that is the leading cause of Martin finding his emails.

2. What do you think of the email exchange between “Jaques” and Blue? Do you like the way they interact through email?
I do. It seems like two young people trying to get to know each other, as well as becoming more comfortable with who they are.

3. I love that this book seems to be about a pretty normal 16 year old, with the normal 16 year old problems. It is very relaxing to read. What do you like about the story so far?
Very easy read! Not a normal book I would pick, but I'm enjoying it so far.

4. What do you think of Simon’s friends and family? And Simon is he a character you like? Do you think he should just come out to his friends and family? From what I’ve read so far, he doesn’t have anything to be afraid of.
I like him alright. Feels like a normal 16 year old to me. I do wish he would come out to his family or friends. Considering their personalities, I feel like his coming out moment would be very anticlimactic.

5. I love the humor in this book. My favorite so far: ”Nora looks up from her book.”Simon. Eww.” “It’s a dementor robe over my clothes. I think you’ll survive.” ”What’s a dementor?” I mean, I can’t even. “Nora, you are no longer my sister.” ”So it’s some Harry Potter thing,” she says. But also the family talk about “The Bachelor” is so funny. Do you have any favorite quotes? Do you like the writing style?
Those were very cute moments, and provide a fun way to relate to the characters. Personally, I find the writing style a little simplistic, even for a young adult book, but at the same time it does make it sound more like a teenager is speaking.

message 19: by Alison (last edited Aug 02, 2016 02:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alison (adecks97) | 7 comments 1. The book starts with a bang, Simon being blackmailed by Martin. Do you think Simon really wants to keep his relationship with Blue a secret? Yes he made an email account under an alias, but then accesses it in a library and forgets to log out, seems subconsciously he wants people to know. I don’t get the deep in the closet vibe from Simon, it feels to me he is out he only hasn’t told anyone and doesn’t seem to find it important. How do you feel about the way Simon acts about coming out?

I know when I was coming out I wanted to keep it a secret, but I wasn't secretive about, if that makes sense. I never thought it was a big deal, but I was just scared of what people would say yet I was so tired of hiding it that I would subconsciously be dropping hints left and right and I think that's kind of what Simon is doing. I think he is at that point where he's thinking it would be easier to just come out but he's still kind of afraid to.

I love it! I especially love the way we get to read it, every other chapter.

Honestly, my favorite part about this story so far is that Simon talks like a normal teenager. He actually swears. It's so refreshing to me to see that because generally in YA books you don't. The author writes that "so-and-so swore" and I always think that's strange since we all know teenagers swear all the time so why not just use the words in the book?

I like his friends and family just fine and I love Simon (we have a lot in common haha). I think he should come out whenever he feels ready. It's not that he fears he'll get stoned or something if he does, it just seems that he is very self-conscious about it still, so he needs to learn to be okay with it himself before he tells everyone else.

One of my favorite quotes so far is, "People lie and get fake IDs and sneak into bars, and for this? I honestly think I'd rather make out with Bieber. The dog. Or Justin. Anyway, it really makes you worry about all the hype surrounding sex." I nearly choked laughing so hard. I love the writing style because, like I said in one of the earlier answers, Simon is written like an actual teenager who swear and stuff. And the chapters alternating between Simon's day and the emails with Blue is fun to read as well.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

1. The book starts with a bang, Simon being blackmailed by Martin. Do you think Simon really wants to keep his relationship with Blue a secret? Yes he made an email account under an alias, but then accesses it in a library and forgets to log out, seems subconsciously he wants people to know. I don’t get the deep in the closet vibe from Simon, it feels to me he is out he only hasn’t told anyone and doesn’t seem to find it important. How do you feel about the way Simon acts about coming out?

I think he's hesitant because of some of the social stigma that he could receive from some of his classmates (which is very realistic), and also he might be hesitant to be so vulnerable. I don't think that he really "meant" for Martin to open up that email, he could have just been scatter-brained and forgotten to exit it.

Yeah, I think that in between chapters with the emails give us intimate perspective on the banter/jokes/serious thoughts that go on between them. I feel like because Simon and his friends are kind of awkward sometimes, this takes that factor away. Although also, because you can "edit" text all you want, I have found that it does take away some authenticity.

I think that Simon is kind of relatable to teenagers everywhere, and even though we don't explore his school activites that much, we do get to know his group of friends and his theater class, which are cool interests/hobbies to have.

His friends and family seemed very laid-back. For example: They let Nora pierce her whole earlobe and wouldn't care if Simon drank a bottle of beer. I think that can be appreciated coming from a family who has way "overprotective" parents who hover over you.

I think that it's a very personal thing to "come out" so he should do it when he feels comfortable enough with that idea of making it public.

My favorite quote so far is probably:

"But I’m tired of coming out. All I ever do is come out. I try not to change, but I
keep changing, in all these tiny ways. I get a girlfriend. I have a beer. And every
freaking time, I have to reintroduce myself to the universe all over again. "

The writing style is right up my alley if I'm honest. Simplistic and realistic (he curses and sometimes hates his siblings...)

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments Discussion Questions Chapters 1-5

I actually wondered if Martin is Blue ; and he was kind of using it as a way to get to know Simon. But as the book has gone along I have found that less likely. I guess I'm just super curious as to who Blue could be ;)
I agree with Kaleen that Simon is just super eager to check his emails and forgot. In saying that, I don't think Simon is worried about "coming out" to everyone per se, it is more that he may need to "come out" to himself? Being a teenager is so confusing, and adding in sexuality is HUGE so he may need to just be comfortable with himself a bit more, because it seems that his family and friends would not have an issue at all

I love it. As others have said, it is very realistic (apart from the use of email perhaps... does anyone use email anymore? haha)

I totally agree. I didn't know if I was in the mood for YA, but I loved this book from the start. I have the audio and the paperback and the audio narrator is doing a great job

I think they are great. Another stroke of realism that he just has a couple of good friends and they seem to all "get" eachother. I love his family (the Bachelor stuff was hillarious). I want to meet them

I agree. The writing is very John Green. Simple, realistic, fun, easy to read. Authors that can bring characters to life with so few words really appeal to me. I very quickly formed an attachment to the characters. You have all put forward some great quotes! If I had this on my kindle I'm sure I would have highlighted some others :)

Marion (readingcasually) | 0 comments I haven't read a NBRC Book of the Month in a long time, and I've been wanting to read this one for so long so I'm very excited! Here we go with the first questions!

Forgetting to log out could happen to anyone, I think. And yeah, sure, he definitely has thoughts of coming out, and seems to believe that he would find support in his family and friends. But I think saying he "doesn't find it important" is a bit extreme considering it often is a big deal, no matter how chill you are about it. So maybe it's not a big deal to Simon personally, but I think he knows it'd be a big deal to others, which I believe is why he hasn't come out yet.

2. What do you think of the email exchange between “Jacques” and Blue? Do you like the way they interact through email?

I've always loved e-mail exchanges in books, I think they add a certain quality to the book. Simon and Blue obviously get along very well and even in their simplest conversations, the little hints of flirtation are super cute, I really love it!

I really like Simon and his groups of friends, and the way he talks about each of them. What I really like about them all specifically is that it's obvious they love each other, but they also can get annoyed with each other, and there's a good balance of both, and that's really realistic! The tone is also really pleasant, I very much enjoy the writing style.

Simon's friends are really great! I love how they have distinctive personalities and aren't just there in the background. I really like that they have their own things going on and that Simon is keeping up with their stories. As for his family, they're very loveable! And once again, I don't think it's as simple as "not having anything to be afraid of". But I think Simon will definitely find that all the people he's close to won't turn on him.

I don't have a favorite quote thus far, but I definitely love the writing style! It always takes me aback when books talk about Twitter, or Tumblr, or use "millenial" expressions, but it seems logical in the end, and in the case of this book, I think it flows very well.

message 23: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora (lr555) | 5 comments 1. The book starts with a bang, Simon being blackmailed by Martin. Do you think Simon really wants to keep his relationship with Blue a secret? Yes he made an email account under an alias, but then accesses it in a library and forgets to log out, seems subconsciously he wants people to know. I don’t get the deep in the closet vibe from Simon, it feels to me he is out he only hasn’t told anyone and doesn’t seem to find it important. How do you feel about the way Simon acts about coming out?

I'm afraid I have to disagree. It's really easy to forget to log out even if you're usually very careful. I'm extremely paranoid about my privacy but even I can remember several times when I forgot to log out of my account. So I don't think there was any intent there.
I feel like Simon acts like he doesn't care about coming even though he actually does.

Emails and texts are often quite obnoxious in YA so I'm wary of them but I was pleasantly surprised with the use of emails in this book. Their exchanges were cute and humorous and gave a great insight into the characters.

Oh, I totally agree with you! It's very relaxing and lighthearted. There is a lot of humour but there is never too much of it. It doesn't take away from the feelings of the characters and from the story itself.

I like Simon though he isn't my favourite type of character. I really like Nora. All characters are quite good and I can't help but adore Simon's family and friends.
That being said I see how he could still have some reservations about telling them. You can never know for sure how people will react and it's very scary to come out to your parents and friends. It takes a lot of courage and you have to be mentally prepared to do it. And coming out is a very personal thing. It's a journey and I feel like Simon isn't truly ready to do it yet. That's why it's so terrible that Martin is blackmailing him with this.

It's a great moment and I really like the writing style. It's light but not shallow. And the humour is just great. I can't really pick one quote yet.

message 24: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora (lr555) | 5 comments Discussion questions - Chapters 6-14
6. 6th chapter raises a very important and serious question. Do you agree with Simon on Reese's cups' superiority over sex? Personally, I think he is misguided because ice-cream is obviously way better than both of them combined.

7. On a more serious note, I love how Simon and Blue's emails are both friendly and flirty. What do you think of their relationship so far? Do you like Blue? Do you think we've met him yet? Do you think he knows that Jacques is Simon?

8. What do you think about the friction between Leah and Abby. Is it necessary to the story? Do you feel like Simon and Nick treated Leah badly and neglected her by going to the match? And, in general, do you feel like female characters are portrayed well so far?

9. Regarding the incident with the word "bitch". What's your stance on it? I think Simon shouldn't have used this word but it was up to Abby to call him out on it and not Martin. Do you you think Martin is genuinely appalled by the use of this word , or is it just an act to impress Abby? I might be biased but I think he wouldn't bat an eye if it was any other girl.

10. Simon starts to help Martin more. Do you think that Simon betrays Abby by doing it? Would you do the same? Would you go along with Martin's blackmail or would you try to fight back?

Amanda (DaughterofOak) | 3436 comments I want to read this one so bad! I'm just waiting for my library request to come in. :)

message 26: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments Amanda wrote: "I want to read this one so bad! I'm just waiting for my library request to come in. :)"

Oh I hope you get it!

message 27: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments Discussion questions - Chapters 6-14
6. 6th chapter raises a very important and serious question. Do you agree with Simon on Reese's cups' superiority over sex? Personally, I think he is misguided because ice-cream is obviously way better than both of them combined.
haha! well Reese's cups aren't a "thing" here, and when I have had them I'm not a huge fan. Give me dark chocolate with almonds any day ;)

7. On a more serious note, I love how Simon and Blue's emails are both friendly and flirty. What do you think of their relationship so far? Do you like Blue? Do you think we've met him yet? Do you think he knows that Jacques is Simon?
I really like their relationship. I think it is very realistic of teens getting to know eachother. In chapter 11 there is a very small mention of Bram with the English test, and seeing that is the only other male character to be introduced that isn't already a friend, and he is good at English, my bet is on him. At this point I don't think either of them know who the other one is

8. What do you think about the friction between Leah and Abby. Is it necessary to the story? Do you feel like Simon and Nick treated Leah badly and neglected her by going to the match? And, in general, do you feel like female characters are portrayed well so far?
I understand the friction because Leah was always the best friend and Abby is new to the group. I also wondered if Leah held a flame for Simon? So far I think the female characters are portrayed well, but I do like that the focus is more on Simon and his relationships. There are lots of YA books that explore female friendships, so it is a nice change.

9. Regarding the incident with the word "bitch". What's your stance on it? I think Simon shouldn't have used this word but it was up to Abby to call him out on it and not Martin. Do you you think Martin is genuinely appalled by the use of this word , or is it just an act to impress Abby? I might be biased but I think he wouldn't bat an eye if it was any other girl.
I think Simon was just caught in the moment and being playful, but sure - on reflection it probably isn't a nice thing to say and our words are important. I do think Martin was just trying to be macho and impress, though

10. Simon starts to help Martin more. Do you think that Simon betrays Abby by doing it? Would you do the same? Would you go along with Martin's blackmail or would you try to fight back?
I understand why Simon is going along, but I also don't think he is really doing that much. He is kind of putting in minimal effort! He just needs time because Martin is basically forcing him to come out before he is ready if he doesn't want to go along with it

Marion (readingcasually) | 0 comments 6. 6th chapter raises a very important and serious question. Do you agree with Simon on Reese's cups' superiority over sex? Personally, I think he is misguided because ice-cream is obviously way better than both of them combined.

Haha well, Reese's Cups are pretty good, and ice-cream's nice, and sex (imho) isn't too bad :p I think I really can't decide!

Oh my God, I am completely in love with Simon and Blue's e-mails to each other. They're so cute and the flirting makes me go all dfjerifjri I just!! I really think their relationship is nice, and I think Blue is a really great guy so far! I suspect he might be in Simon's entourage, but then again maybe not, which I think would be even more interesting because then their first IRL meeting would be even more intense (at least I think so)! And I don't think that he knows about Simon at all. I do think, however, that the fact that they're both dropping hints about themselves or, in Simon's case, which teachers he has, is telling of the fact that they really really want to meet each other someday, despite what they're saying.

Okay so this is probably just me (hopefully not), but I feel like maybe the person Leah actually has a crush on is Abby? I mean, if she really has a crush on Nick and is jealous, then, okay, fine, but... I don't know. I'm getting "vibes" haha And I really like the girls in this book! They're witty and funny and charming, and as far as Leah and Abby go, they're both very different which is great!

I definitely agree that if Abby wasn't fine with it, then it was her job to call Simon out. And yep, I truly believe that Martin wouldn't have been bothered by it had it been some other girl. Personally, I try to not use that word anymore, but I think that if some people want to call themselves that then that's their thing? I don't know, I just personally try my best to avoid using it.

Knowing me, I'd definitely try to smooth things down, and if that means giving into the blackmail, then unfortunately I think I'd do it. I really don't blame Simon though - coming out is a very personal thing and if he feels safer helping Martin out so the guy doesn't reveal his secret, then that's his prerogative! But I think if I were friends with Simon, I'd tell him to not give into Martin's bullshit.

Kaleen | 60 comments Discussion questions - Chapters 6-14

Well all I can say is that chocolate has never let me down ;)

I'm really loving the emails! It's really cute to watch this relationship play out. I like Blue. I'm sure he is someone we have encountered already.

It all seems very normal. Teenage angst. People change and drift apart. The girls are all portrayed as very smart and cool and I like that.

Abby was the one who used the term first. Seemed like Simon was just repeating it because they were joking around. I think it happens all the time. I use the word when referring to myself sometimes and wouldn't be bothered if others then use it too, although I try to avoid using it towards others. Martin probably thought he was stepping in as the big hero to defend Abby. I doubt he would have done the same for others.

10. Simon starts to help Martin more. Do you think that Simon betrays Abby by doing it? Would you do the same? Would you go along with Martin's blackmail or would you try to fight back? I don't think he's betraying Abby at all. Simon isn't doing much to help Martin. And Martin really doing much blackmailing. Everything seems very passive aggressive.

Alison (adecks97) | 7 comments 6. 6th chapter raises a very important and serious question. Do you agree with Simon on Reese's cups' superiority over sex? Personally, I think he is misguided because ice-cream is obviously way better than both of them combined.

Well, I don't know much about sex to talk, but I know that I will take Reese's ice cream any day.

I love their relationship though emails. It's so cute and pure. And I like Blue alright, but I like Simon more. I think we've met Blue and I think he is starting to figure out who Simon is. But I would love a nice plot twist and Blue be someone we never guessed (like *gasp* Martin. JK, JK!).

I think Leah and Abby's feud is an entertaining side story. I like it in the book. And I wouldn't say Simon and Nick treated her badly, but they could've definitely been more considerate. I feel like high school girls a pretty well represented, they just aren't the main focus, and they don't need to be so that's fine.

I see no problem with Simon calling Abby a "stealth bitch" since it was a joke and Abby started it. If Martin wasn't aware it was a joke, then I think it's fine that he stepped in (though I don't believe he would've done it for anyone else, unless Abby was watching). However, once Abby said it was fine he should've chilled out.

I don't think he's betraying Abby. I don't think would do the same, just because I wouldn't stand for someone blackmailing me. So, yeah, I would fight back haha.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Chocolate ice-cream is totally the way to go always.

I think that we have met Blue, because usually authors with this type of situation try to at least introduce the possible characters close to the beginning so that when the big reveal comes we aren't hit with this random stranger.I don't think that he knows for sure that Jacques is Simon, but he's starting to figure things out but he just still doesn't want to know yet.

I mean, a girl should not stop being mad at someone because of their birthday. You abandoned/dumped her at homecoming and then after the weekend she like "it's alright..." ??

I personally hate when anyone calls any girl a "bitch" because it just carries such a negative connotation. My personal sensitive button, biggest pet peeve, is when anyone says anything of the meaning or close to the meaning "prostitute" (even if he was joking, idc) to a teenage girl in a joke. I've had this happen to me irl and I just dropped the whole friendship, and my face was literally red in fury. Joke or not, that hit on one of my red spots of disrespect.

Nah, I mean he isn't really pushing them two into getting more involved then they want to be. It's really just Martin is tagging along on these awkward types of meetings and seems kind of out of the circle of Abbey's friends. I would/do never stand for blackmail, noone should be allowed to exercise that type of control over another person, they should be the controllers in their own personal life.

message 32: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1410 comments Discussion questions - Chapters 6-14

LOL, I wouldn't know, we don't have Reese's Cups here in The Netherlands.

I like their relationship and the way it evolves through the emails.. I like Blue and I think we have seen him. I think he suspects, but isn't sure yet.

I've finished the book and I think I can say it is necessary for the story. I think in this instance they did tell her and she could have gone along with them. I think the girls are portrayed wells so far.

I don't like it when people, even women, use it the way Simon and Abby did. I liked the explanation Alice gave Simon when it is appropriate to use the word. Martin's reaction was to impress Abby.

In a way he is betraying Abby, he is forcing Martins company on her and it is not fair to Martin because Abby doesn't have feelings for him.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Discussion Questions for chapter 15-21

11. At the beginning of this section, why do you think Simon felt the need to "become" friends with Martin, especially since he was blackmailing him? Did you as a reader see any hints of Martin's exposure on tumblr?

12. What did you think of Abby's reaction when Simon was coming out to her? Why do you think he told her first, instead of say Leah or Nick who he has known his whole life? Later on, do you think that Leah was annoyed/angry at him for telling Abby first?

13. What is your personal prediction on who you think Blue is? Do you think it's Cal (who Simon is 99.9% sure that it is) or do you have other suspicions?

14. In this situation, Simon starts to recognize/identify his feelings as falling in love. As an observer, what you think that this is? (crush, love, lust, infatuaction...etc.)

15. The author gives an interesting outlook on what social media does to a teenager by exposing information/secrets. Have any of you ever had similar instances and how well did you think that Simon handled it?

Kaleen | 60 comments 11. At the beginning of this section, why do you think Simon felt the need to "become" friends with Martin, especially since he was blackmailing him? Did you as a reader see any hints of Martin's exposure on tumblr?
It seemed to me that his attitude was that since he's going to be around he might as well get to know him better. I was really surprised that Martin did what he did. I was not expecting it at all.

12. What did you think of Abby's reaction when Simon was coming out to her? Why do you think he told her first, instead of say Leah or Nick who he has known his whole life? Later on, do you think that Leah was annoyed/angry at him for telling Abby first?
It was easier to tell Abby because they had been friends for such a short time. I think Simon was very afraid of disappointing Nick and Leah. Sometimes it's easier to tell a stranger something. Abby had exactly the reaction I expected. Accepting and supportive.

13. What is your personal prediction on who you think Blue is? Do you think it's Cal (who Simon is 99.9% sure that it is) or do you have other suspicions?
I don't think it is Cal. It would be too easy. And also I don't think Blue is white. He seemed to drop a hint when they were talking about why is straight the default. And Blue mentions "or white."

14. In this situation, Simon starts to recognize/identify his feelings as falling in love. As an observer, what you think that this is? (crush, love, lust, infatuaction...etc.)
I think it is love. This is almost a long distance relationship and in those situations because all you can do is talk, you are forced to really get to know your partner. (Unless they are cat fishing you).

15. The author gives an interesting outlook on what social media does to a teenager by exposing information/secrets. Have any of you ever had similar instances and how well did you think that Simon handled it?
Cyber bullying is such an issue now. Every year we hear horrible stories about it in the news. My experience with that has been minimal, only dealing with one issue once. And I was older by then. I couldn't imagine being a teenager and dealing with it. Kids can be so mean, and hiding behind a screen makes it worse.

Marion (readingcasually) | 0 comments 11. At the beginning of this section, why do you think Simon felt the need to "become" friends with Martin, especially since he was blackmailing him? Did you as a reader see any hints of Martin's exposure on tumblr?

I don't think they're friends, to be fair. I think Simon tolerates Martin, which I guess in his situation could be seen as a good thing. It's probably better to try not to give any reason to the person who's blackmailing you to spill what they have on you. And in Simon's situation, he's always been civil toward Martin - it's Martin who went and got angry for nothing. I think there was a point when I really thought Martin wouldn't say anything, but I guess that was wishful thinking (and maybe a bit idealistic)!

I think Abby reacted really well. Especially since Simon doesn't seem to want people to make a whole scene out of it. She was really nice and open about it and I think if Simon had wanted to delve into it more, she would have just let him speak without prying. To be quite honest, I think the reason Simon told Abby before telling Nick and/or Leah is really simple - he's known them for longer, they're his bestest best friends, so he probably has a lot of fear toward their possible reactions. And nope, I don't think Leah is angry. At least I hope so. She was really nice to say that she had no business being sad and that it wasn't about her, because she's right, it isn't. That's the kind of understanding I wish we'd see more of in YA Contemporary; it avoids cheap, tired unecessary conflict.

Eh. I think it's Cal too. I'm still holding out hope that it's someone we don't know. But Cal is very sweet thus far so I'm not opposed to it at all!

As an observer and someone who has had many crushes (and in some cases, some very very strong feelings toward said crushes), I'd say Simon is definitely falling for Blue. It's understandable, too; I mean, Blue's flirting game is A+ and he's overall incredibly charming (with all that it entails). I don't think it's love just yet, but it's definitely getting there!

I've never had a similar situation happen to me, but I know that it happens more than it ever should, which is disheartening to say the least. In my opinion, the only thing Simon has to do is be honest with himself, and to be honest with the people he cares about and loves. No one else has to know what's the truth for now. It may come to that if people give him shit after reading that post, but really - this kind of stuff shouldn't be anyone else's business but the person directly concerned.

Alison (adecks97) | 7 comments 11. At the beginning of this section, why do you think Simon felt the need to "become" friends with Martin, especially since he was blackmailing him? Did you as a reader see any hints of Martin's exposure on tumblr?

I mean, Martin did have some comedic moments and I guess he never really said much about the blackmailing after the initial time, so I guess Simon just kind of was like "well alright, I guess I can be nice to the guy." However, when Martin got mad at Simon at the rehearsal over Abby, I knew he was going to post something on the Tumblr.

I think her reaction was pretty normal. She was very supportive and I liked that. I think it was easier to tell Abby, because like Simon mentions, she has only been around him for a couple months. It wasn't like she thought he was straight for years like Leah and Nick. And I do think Leah was a bit upset, because she is such a long time friend of Simon's and he knows how she feels about Abby. I don't think she'll hold it against him or anything.

I honestly don't know, I just suspect we've met him already.

14. In this situation, Simon starts to recognize/identify his feelings as falling in love. As an observer, what you think that this is? (crush, love, lust, infatuation...etc.)

Hmm, I think he is falling for Blue, but I don't think he is in love with him.

I can thankfully say I haven't had something like what happened to Simon happen to me. I would say he took it way better than I probably would have.

message 37: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments Discussion Questions for chapter 15-21

11. At the beginning of this section, why do you think Simon felt the need to "become" friends with Martin, especially since he was blackmailing him? Did you as a reader see any hints of Martin's exposure on tumblr?
I'm not sure their friends, but I think Simon generally gets along with people. I was not expecting Martin to do that and it was a really crappy thing to do actually. At least it was over a holiday so Simon had time to work out what to do

I understand him telling Abby for the reasons he gave. She doesn't really know him as well as the others so it was an "easy" first step". I thought her reaction was great. I loved it. I do suspect Leah is a bit miffed

I still think it is Bram, just because it is the only male character that has had a very small space in the book, so usually that is what the writer does (plus he was great at English). I think Simon is seeing what he wants to with Cal

I think it is a type of love as they are getting to know eachother really well, even if via email. I think it is very sweet

I haven't, but it does worry me for my kids when they get older. I grew up when mobile phones weren't really around (I got my first one when I was 17 and they were still pretty new), so the world is just so different

message 38: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments 5 August
Chapters 22-28

16. Simon wants to exchange phone numbers, and is ready to meet Blue. Do you understand Blue's hesitancy? Especially as he has said he knows who Simon is. I'm not sure how they can go on indefinitely just having email conversations

17. I was pretty surprised about the guys with the signs at the auditorium. What was your reaction to this? What did you think of Martin's attempt at an apology?

18. Cal may not be Blue, but he seems like a possible love interest. Should Simon keep waiting for Blue?

19. What did you think of Abby and Nick taking Simon to the gay bar? Simon will probably be in all sorts of trouble with his folks now for coming home drunk!

Kaleen | 60 comments 16. Simon wants to exchange phone numbers, and is ready to meet Blue. Do you understand Blue's hesitancy? Especially as he has said he knows who Simon is. I'm not sure how they can go on indefinitely just having email conversations
I guess I understand Blue's side, but at the same time I don't think it's fair to Simon. This whole situation is becoming very frustrated!

17. I was pretty surprised about the guys with the signs at the auditorium. What was your reaction to this? What did you think of Martin's attempt at an apology?
All I could do was roll my eyes. Some people think they are so funny, when all they are is obnoxious. I think Martin genuinely feels bad. He clearly wasn't thinking clearly when he posted on tumblr, but now understands what he did.

18. Cal may not be Blue, but he seems like a possible love interest. Should Simon keep waiting for Blue?
I'm not sure. Blue is being flaky, but I don't feel like Simon should jump into a relationship just yet.

19. What did you think of Abby and Nick taking Simon to the gay bar? Simon will probably be in all sorts of trouble with his folks now for coming home drunk!
This scene cracked me up! Reminds me of when I was in college and went with a friend to his first gay bar. (Of course we were a little older than 17).

Marion (readingcasually) | 0 comments 16. Simon wants to exchange phone numbers, and is ready to meet Blue. Do you understand Blue's hesitancy? Especially as he has said he knows who Simon is. I'm not sure how they can go on indefinitely just having email conversations.
I don't think it's strange that Blue is hesitant. Meeting someone for the first time after you've been talking to them for a long time online is stressful and weird, especially when there are feelings involved. I would be like Simon - telling Blue that I'm not gonna push him to say yes, or guilt trip him into accepting to meet, because that's just not cool obviously.

To be honest, I wasn't surprised, because I've been waiting the entire book for something awful and cringy to happen to Simon. Not as in "omg I can't wait" but "things are mostly good, thus that can't last very long". I was extremely sad and teared up at all the support Simon got after that. Especially from the teacher. I love her.
Also, I have a lot of feelings about Martin's apology. I think it's great that he actually apologized. I think it's great that he knows he effed up big time. But also, I think after all that happened (and even if it had been "only" just some thinly-veiled blackmailing) that Simon doesn't owe Martin any acceptance. He doesn't have to forgive him. And I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad he didn't.

What bothers me right now about the idea of Cal being a possible love interest is that, clearly, Simon's been idealizing him ever since he started suspecting Cal might be Blue. He was blurring the lines between Blue and who he'd kind-of like Blue to be. Because that can happen, you know? You don't have an actual face to put on someone you know online, so you pick someone who you think is the "style" or "kind" of the person you talk to. So that's why I don't want Simon to go for Cal. Because he's not into Cal; not really.

I think it was a good idea, actually! It got his minds off of things and it's nice of them to go out of their way to do something that is exclusively for Simon's entertainment and pleasure, because they clearly were there with him for support. And I mean... that stuff happens I guess? Sure, he's in trouble, but I'm pretty certain he's gonna regret the drinking. The rest was good experience in my opinion.

Alison (adecks97) | 7 comments 16. Simon wants to exchange phone numbers, and is ready to meet Blue. Do you understand Blue's hesitancy? Especially as he has said he knows who Simon is. I'm not sure how they can go on indefinitely just having email conversations

I don't particularly understand Blue's hesitancy. In the beginning I thought maybe he was just scared of a relationship or something. Maybe something he got badly rejected before. But now, I mean, it seems only fair to tell Simon who he his know that he knows Simon's identity.

It made me want to cry. In fact I did tear up. I know this stuff actually happens to people and It is just so supremely awful. I think that Simon's reaction to Martin was perfect. I probably would've told Martin to shove it too. I know he probably really is sorry, but really Martin? You crossed the line with that post. What the hell did you expect?

I really don't know if I have an answer to this question. Cal seems interested and available and right there, and Blue is throwing mixed signals left and right. But Blue is Blue and what him and Simon had with their emails was cute and kind of rare. Hold out a little longer Simon!

I loved it! I think it was very thoughtful of them. I just don't think they expected Simon to get drunk haha.

message 42: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments 6 August
Chapters 29-end

20. The big reveal! Thoughts on how Blue showed himself to Simon? Were you glad it was him?

21. A number of us commented at the start of the book on how real the relationships and the characters seemed. Did you still feel that at the end?

22. Abby finds out the truth about the blackmailing, and although angry at Simon, quickly forgives him. How would you have reacted if you were Abby?

23. What are your thoughts on the ending? How did you rate the book?

Amanda (DaughterofOak) | 3436 comments My request came in today!

Whohoo! *happy dance*

I can start reading it tomorrow.

message 44: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments :D

Marion (readingcasually) | 0 comments 20. The big reveal! Thoughts on how Blue showed himself to Simon? Were you glad it was him?
I'm definitely a sucker for this kind of reveals and the whole "showing up out of nowhere and saying something that only this person will get" thing. I think it's very cute and intimate. And I was very glad to know who Blue truly is -
(view spoiler)

21. A number of us commented at the start of the book on how real the relationships and the characters seemed. Did you still feel that at the end?
I definitely still feel this way, this is actually the point I insisted on the most in my review for this book. How realistic the relationships (and everything really) is.

22. Abby finds out the truth about the blackmailing, and although angry at Simon, quickly forgives him. How would you have reacted if you were Abby?
I don't know if I would have been mad about being his safety card. I mean, I guess, to some extent, yes. But I think my first instinct would have been to say "why didn't you tell me?". Because in the end, Abby knew she wasn't interested in Martin, and no matter what Simon would have done, it wouldn't have changed.

The ending was very good, in my opinion. I wanted a happy ending and I got one, so I'm entirely satisfied! And I rated the book 5 out of 5 stars!

Alison (adecks97) | 7 comments 20. The big reveal! Thoughts on how Blue showed himself to Simon? Were you glad it was him?

I was so scare he wasn't going to show so when he did I actually squealed. I was actually it was him. I did suspect it was him at one point I think. But they were just so adorable and I'm just glad that they found each other haha.

I did. I mean, there was a level of "fairy tale" about the whole reveal at the fair and all, but it wasn't this impossible kind of fairy tale and it wasn't this lust-at-first sight relationship and overall I think it was this real and down-to-Earth relationship (and the characters were the same).

I guess I would've been a bit frustrated that he didn't say anything, but I don't really understand why Abby was so mad at Simon.

I loved the ending!! It was so cute! I rated the book 5 stars.

Amanda (DaughterofOak) | 3436 comments Discussion questions - Chapters 6-14

As much as I love Reese's cups, I really can't agree that they are better. ;)

I've finished the book, so I will only say that I love their emails and the flirting. I love how they seem so embarrassed by it but can't help themselves.

I think Leah feels as though she is being pushed out of the way by Abby and losing her friends to her. Personally I think that Leah is doing most of the work herself by becoming jealous and antagonistic...it is making them not want to spend as much time with her. They did treat her badly by not at least inviting her along.

The word doesn't bother me as much as it probably should. I think that if Abby was fine with it, Martin shouldn't have called him out on it. I agree that Martin used his reaction to try and impress Abby.

I think the biggest problem was that he didn't tell Abby about it. I think he should have told her about Martin's blackmail, but not necessarily what he was being blackmailed about. I'm sure Abby would have helped him come up with a plan of action.

Amanda (DaughterofOak) | 3436 comments 6 August
Chapters 29-end

20. The big reveal! Thoughts on how Blue showed himself to Simon? Were you glad it was him?

I loved the big reveal! I had almost given up hope that he was going to show up, and then all of a sudden there he was. I'm very happy with who it turned out to be.

Absolutely. Friendship is difficult, especially when you're juggling so many other issues. I felt as though the author handled the intricacies very well. I also loved the scene with Simon's parents and how they handled his drinking and the conversation about his father making gay jokes.

I think I would have reacted similarly. I would have been very angry and hurt, but understood that he thought he didn't have a choice. If Simon had been actively pushing Martin on her I would probably not have forgiven that easily.

I loved it! The band scene was great and I loved that Simon got to see a new side of his sister and his friend.
I gave the book 5 stars.

message 49: by Amanda (last edited Aug 10, 2016 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amanda (DaughterofOak) | 3436 comments I just want to say that I thought the author did an amazing job writing this book.
One thing she wrote really stuck with me: (view spoiler)
I see this all of the time in books and no, it isn't fair. Characters shouldn't be a default of white or straight. People automatically think of a character as white until the author says they are not. I do this all of the time and I hate that I do it.

I also love that the author's description of Abby and Bram just mentioned brown skin and didn't describe chocolate or mocha.

Anyway, just a few thoughts that stuck with me. :)

message 50: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (last edited Aug 10, 2016 02:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11902 comments Amanda wrote: "I just want to say that I thought the author did an amazing job writing this book.
One thing she wrote really stuck with me: [spoilers removed]
I see this all of the time in books and no, it isn't..."

I noticed that too, but I just assumed that is because as humans we always default other humans to being just like us until they show themselves to be otherwise. (Not just looks, but also personality., well that is what I was taught in my psych classes)
It would be interesting for me to know if people from other backgrounds do the same. So if a non-caucasian was reading this book, how did they picture Blue?

--edit-- oh and I just found this which is interesting!
https://thesocietypages.org/socimages...

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (other topics)