Addicted to YA discussion

Miscellaneous > Glossy or Matte Covers?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nelou (new)

Nelou Keramati (neloukeramati) Hi everyone!

I'm curious: for those of you who prefer physical copies, do you like the look/feel of a glossy cover, or a matte one?

Glossy covers are really reflective. They are slippery and cool to the touch, and display more vivid color and detail.

Matte covers are non-reflective. They feel velvety to the touch, and the colors and details are more muted/dreamy.

Thanks!

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (thehigh-functioningfangirl) I don't know. I like the look of shiny covers, but Iike the feeling of matte covers.

Bluewaterstorm ~ Skeletons ~  Evil and Sassy Girl ~ For a reason ~ To be known as a Legend ~ | 348 comments I go with Ryan. I'm not sure? But I think Id like the glossy covers more because the matte is a little less bright.

message 4: by Nelou (new)

Nelou Keramati (neloukeramati) BlueWaterStorm wrote: "I go with Ryan. I'm not sure? But I think Id like the glossy covers more because the matte is a little less bright."

That's exactly my predicament, Ryan. I can't decide which matters to me more: what the cover looks like on the shelf, or what it feels like in my hands :/

message 5: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra It could also be both. Matte with glossy details. For example the UK edition of Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo has matte cover but the letters are glossy, shiny red.
I really don't mind. :)

message 6: by Eimear (new)

Eimear (eimearh) I think it depends on the cover design. Some covers look well with a glossy finish but some would look better matte and vice versa

message 7: by Nelou (new)

Nelou Keramati (neloukeramati) Alexandra wrote: "It could also be both. Matte with glossy details. For example the UK edition of Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo has matte cover but the letters are glossy, shiny red.
I really don't mind. :)"

That's true, it's a beautiful cover too :)

message 8: by Nelou (new)

Nelou Keramati (neloukeramati) Eimear wrote: "I think it depends on the cover design. Some covers look well with a glossy finish but some would look better matte and vice versa"

Good point Eimear. I think painted covers look better matte, and photographs look better on glossy.

message 9: by Staci (new)

Staci | 48 comments Matte covers for me. they feel soft

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nics2) | 106 comments @staci me too... I rather look at the glossy covers but I rather holding the matte books it feels better and they are good looking .

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara (abookbuff) | 25 comments I like when they're both, like when the cover has details that are glossy while the rest is matte. It feels fancy in my hands :P

message 12: by Nelou (new)

Nelou Keramati (neloukeramati) Thanks for chiming in, ladies! And S A R A, I totally agree, it's so nice when the detail is a raised stamp-like glossy finish, and the rest of the novel/background of the cover is velvety smooth!