African Literature Book Club discussion

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Things Fall Apart
Things Fall Apart (July 2016) > Things Fall Apart Overall Discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chioma, Creator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chioma (chiomareads) | 16 comments Mod
Here you can discuss any aspect of this book you want. I can't wait to hear all of your thoughts on this book. All spoilers are allowed in this discussion. PLEASE FINISH THE BOOK BEFORE COMING HERE.

Don't be afraid to reply to others and engage.

Darkowaa 'Things Fall Apart' is definitely a classic! Do y'all think Okonkwo was a coward? He was the first to always point out weaknesses in other male characters! His strength (hyper-masculinity) was his ultimate pride... but his demise nullified all of his antics.

Also, was I the only one who felt some resentment towards the Brits as they invaded the villages and just disrupted everything?

Lorraine | 4 comments Just finished reading it now.

message 4: by Chioma, Creator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chioma (chiomareads) | 16 comments Mod
Darkowaa wrote: "'Things Fall Apart' is definitely a classic! Do y'all think Okonkwo was a coward? He was the first to always point out weaknesses in other male characters! His strength (hyper-masculinity) was his ..."

I felt resentment too! I was initially surprised to see them just abruptly force themselves into the lives of these people and it was rather annoying to be honest.

Okonkwo is an interesting character in general. I think just him not wanting to show the softer sides of his personality is a bit cowardly, but that is just my opinion. I guess it is hard to do when the Igbo culture rewards manliness, bravery, and hardwork. I thought it was a bit unfair how he talked about his own father though. I think my favorite Okonkwo scene was when he went to help his wife who followed her daughter after Chielo the priestess came to pick her up. I thought that scene was very cute and very redeeming to Okonkwo's character.

Did anyone see that ending coming??? I felt bad for Okonkwo all through out part 2 of the book and especially at the end. Did anyone also feel mad that none of the other villagers stood up to the British with him?