Shakespeare Fans discussion

Invisibility

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candy (new)

Candy | 2748 comments Mod
Inspired by a great question in the old Tempest thread...about "invisibility" and how it might be portrayed/costumed...

https://earlytheatre.org/earlytheatre...

http://gabrielegan.com/publications/E...

message 2: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) Interesting.
Japanese Kabuki theatre has some magical in-front-of-the audience costume changes. And Kabuki plays are older than Shakespeare's plays.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 97 comments Thanks for the research, Candy! The article on Ariel's costume caused me to think it was just implied while he was wearing the nymph costume. I appreaciate the article on invisibility in general for exploring what the costume would have looked like if there had been one. I guess the answer is that we'll never know exactly how they did it.

message 4: by Candy (new)

I thought this whole question about the costumes was really good...I never really thought about it before. I guess we won't know, but it's cool to try and "reverse engineer it in our minds.

I didn't spend very much time looking....but I wonder what we could find out from a variety of theatre troupes and scholars.

message 5: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 32 comments I hadn't really thought about it before, but now I'm realizing how brilliant it was - in the gorgeous production at The Hartford Stage a few years ago, Ariel's costume (and those of the other spirits) was covered in script, which I believe meant two things: first, it's a sort of camouflage, since the vertical surfaces of the set were also done in blue script on a white background. Ariel was part of the setting, and to everyone but Prospero and the audience disappeared into it. (In contrast, Caliban wore a costume of white script on blue, like the stage - the earth. This just gets better.) Second, the island was a world of words - Ariel is clad in magic.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 97 comments That's amazing, Tracy. People tend to assume that you can't portray magic on stage because there's no CGI, but this is effective and symbolic at the same time. Never underestimate a good set design! Thanks for sharing.

message 7: by Candy (new)

Fabulous! Thank you for these pictures...and this whole idea for a topic to pursue.

I have a friend who is a fashion professor...I think I will ask her if she has looked in to this aspect of clothing and fashion in particular.

The invisible what a great question!!!

message 8: by Lea (new)

Lea (learachel) | 197 comments Tracey wrote: "I hadn't really thought about it before, but now I'm realizing how brilliant it was - in the gorgeous production at The Hartford Stage a few years ago, Ariel's costume (and those of the other spiri..."

What a smart idea! Thanks for sharing Tracey.