Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A. (last edited Jul 28, 2016 09:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

A. M. Nestler (amnestler) | 34 comments Mod
Discussion Questions
1)What did you think of "The Carver"?

2)Will you be reading the sequel?

3) Who was your favorite character?

4) Did this novel remind you of "Once Upon A Time"?

5) What characters would you like to see more of?

Anniken Haga My review of ''The Carver''

3/5

Every now and again, I read a book that makes no impersion on me.
I don't know why that is. It may be me, or it may be the book. But even if I have both positiv and negativ thoughts about the book, it makes me feel absoloutly nothing.
''The Carver'' was one of those books.

I got this book in my first Go Indie now! Book box.
It was filled with goodies, and two books. One of the was ''The Carver''.
Now, I have to say up front that I'm not big on the fairytale retellings, which this is.
Its OK every now and again, and if focusing on one fairytale.
''The Carver'' how ever, focused on lots of stories.

This, combined with the fact that Victor Frankenstein somehow made his way into this book, and the fact that Snow White used a crossbow, made me think a lot of the TV-series ''Once upon a time''. I coulnd't help feel the author took a lot of inspiration from there.

Other than that, I don't have anything negative to say.
The writing was OK, even if it in some places seemed a little over the top, like the author tried too hard. At the same time he some places rewrote normal sentences, trying to shorten them down. It made me stop more than once to reread a sentence, so see if it actually said what my eyes read, or my mind wanted to read.
It was quiet confusing.

There characters were well enough made.
Peter Pan was great. It is clear the author had read the Peter Pan story, and gotten to know the character, for I recognised him on his speech alone.
While the other characters were also fleshed out and good, Peter kinda threw them into a shadow (hah!) being so well written as he was.

I wish I liked this book better, or felt anything for it, really.
As it is, I'll probably not look for the next one in the series.

message 3: by A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anniken wrote: "My review of ''The Carver''

3/5

Every now and again, I read a book that makes no impersion on me.
I don't know why that is. It may be me, or it may be the book. But even if I have both positiv a..."

Hi Anniken!

I do agree with you that this book was pulled from Once Upon A Time a great deal. That was a problem I had with it as well.

Anniken Haga I think that those that love the show, may really like this book. Personally I found it entertaining, but not that great, and it turned out to be the same for this book

message 5: by A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anniken wrote: "I think that those that love the show, may really like this book. Personally I found it entertaining, but not that great, and it turned out to be the same for this book"

I definitely understand that! This book was written for a specific audience, and unfortunately, it won't appeal to everyone. I feel like a lot of other reimagined fairytales are that way too, it's a bit of a bummer.

Anniken Haga yeah, know what you mean. Its grown into a big market, the retelling one, but in some cases I only get the feeling the author says its a retelling to sell more, and in others ot seem like they only change a few details :/ Haven't read much in the genre, though