The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Monthly Challenges > August Scattergories

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15AM) (new)

Cheryl La Pa (cheryllp) | 120 comments August 1, 2016-August 31, 2016

Items found: 10/12

Items:
General
1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character: Lia - The Beauty of Darkness 15 Aug (1 pt)
4. Secondary Character: Lynne Harmony - Shadow Falling 6 Aug (1 pt)
5. Place: Los Angeles - Shadow Falling 6 Aug (1 pt)
6. Cover: Lips, leather - Risk (2 pts) Risk (A Mageri World Novel) by Dannika Dark 24 Aug

August specials

7. A Happy Word - Shadow Falling 6 Aug
Let Maureen go, and I’m happy to speak with you as long as you like. Pg 325 (4 pts)

8. A Clown Attribute - Witches' Bane 21 Aug
Some of the witches didn’t appreciate my laughter and looked at each other, probably wondering why the Nameless One wasn’t curled up in a pool of his own leaching magic. Pg 88 4 pts

9. A Type Of Sandwich/Sandwich Item - Shadow Falling 6 Aug
Lynne Harmony nodded at the few folks eating sandwiches in the old soup kitchen as she passed through and entered the stairwell. Pg 92 (2 pts)

10. A Civil Word - Risk 24 Aug
...long enough to keep the tattoos concealed, but short enough that he could enjoy looking at her lovely legs. pg 72 (4pts)

11. A Meal item - Full Tilt 8 Aug
Do you like lasagne, Kacey? pg 212, 3 pts

12. A School Supply - Full Tilt 8 Aug
My laptop was on the kitchen counter that overlooked the living room. pg 34, 3 pts

Shadow Falling (The Scorpius Syndrome, #2) by Rebecca Zanetti Full Tilt (Full Tilt, #1) by Emma Scott The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3) by Mary E. Pearson Witches' Bane (Soul Eater, #2) by Pippa DaCosta Risk (A Mageri World Novel) by Dannika Dark

message 2: by JoAnne (last edited Aug 10, 2016 03:26PM) (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments August 1, 2016-August 31, 2016
Letter L
Items found: 12/12 Books read: 7 COMPLETED!

Items: 6/6 14points
General
1. Book Title: Learning to Ride by Erin Knightley Learning to Ride by Erin Knightley 8/3/16 3.5stars

2. Author: Lacey, Rachel
Ever After (Love to the Rescue, #3) by Rachel Lacey Ever After (Love to the Rescue #3) by Rachel Lacey 8/10/16 4stars

3. Main Character: Leonid
Twin Heirs to His Throne (Billionaires and Babies, #65) by Olivia Gates Twin Heirs to His Throne (Billionaires and Babies #65) by Olivia Gates 8/2/16 4stars

4. Secondary Character: Ms. Letty (known as Grandma Letty) and Laurie Beth - 2 points
Learning to Ride by Erin Knightley Learning to Ride by Erin Knightley 8/3/16 3.5stars (Tanner - Rodeo King)

5. Place: Los Angeles
Twin Heirs to His Throne (Billionaires and Babies, #65) by Olivia Gates Twin Heirs to His Throne (Billionaires and Babies #65) by Olivia Gates 8/2/16 4stars

6. Cover: legs 2; lips 4; lavender; leaves (too many to count) 8points
A Better Man (Sunshine Creek Vineyard, #1) by Candis Terry A Better Man (Sunshine Creek Vineyard #1) by Candis Terry 8/5/16 4stars

August specials 6/6 completed; 17 points

7. A Happy Word - laughter
Learning to Ride by Erin Knightley Learning to Ride by Erin Knightley 8/3/16 3.5stars
Best of all, the lively din of music and laughter emanating from within were the first signs of real life she'd seen in a week. (page 4 - 4 points)

8. A Clown Attribute - laugh
Ever After (Love to the Rescue, #3) by Rachel Lacey Ever After (Love to the Rescue #3) by Rachel Lacey 8/10/16 4stars
He did laugh, just a little. (page 111, 3 points)

9. A Type Of Sandwich/Sandwich Item - lettuce
Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1) by Jill Shalvis Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge #1) by Jill Shalvis 8/8/16 4stars
He added mustard, mayo, cheese, lettuce, and some tomato, then handed the sandwich to Aidan. (page 53 - 2 points

10. A Civil Word - lovely
A Better Man (Sunshine Creek Vineyard, #1) by Candis Terry A Better Man (Sunshine Creek Vineyard #1) by Candis Terry 8/5/16 4stars
"Oh, that would be lovely, dear." (page 82 -2points)

11. A Meal item - lobster
The Texas Takedown by Kathryn Brocato The Texas Takedown by Kathryn Brocato 8/7/16 4stars
"Is this where I coax you into spending a huge sum on a genuine Maine lobster and a bottle of rare old wine?" (page 39 - 2 points)

12. A School Supply - laptop
My Kind of Wonderful (Cedar Ridge, #2) by Jill Shalvis My Kind of Wonderful (Cedar Ridge #2) by Jill Shalvis 8/9/16 4stars
The beauty salon was closed, too, but there was a light on and within she caught sight of Aidan's girlfriend Lily hunched over a laptop (page 149 - 4 points)

message 3: by Joann (last edited Aug 23, 2016 03:45PM) (new)

Joann | 1300 comments Items found: 12

Items:
General
1. Book Title: The Little Flower Shop by the Sea [1 pt]
2. Author: Liz Fenton - Your Perfect Life
3. Main Character: Leo The Nest [1 pt]
4. Secondary Character: Linda Lipschitz - Summer by the Sea [ 2 pts]
5. Place: London Maisie Dobbs [1 pt]
6. Cover: Lake, lantern, lamp, lobster The Sweetness of Forgetting  by Kristin Harmel [4 pts]

August specials

7. A Happy Word - LOVE - P. 153 “... the LOVE of her life was living...” The Sweetness of Forgetting [4 pts]
8. A Clown Attribute Laugh As Death Draws Near P . 304. “He gave a Low LAUGH.” [ 3 pts]
9. A Type Of Sandwich/Sandwich Item Lobster rolls Summer by the Sea [2 pts]
10. A Civil Word Lovely p. 62. “The lake is so LOVELY.” [ 3 pts] Maisie Dobbs
11. A Meal item Lobster p. 128 Summer by the Sea [2 pts]
12. A School Supply Laptop p.74 “I log onto the LAPTOP…" The Sweetness of Forgetting [ 3 pts]

message 4: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments Given the new rules the way you phrased the specials I believe will make it easier to follow the rules so.....

IF THE LETTER WAS B for August would the following work and would this word have to be in a sentence with other b words for extra points

7. A Happy Word - Blissful
8. A Clown Attribute - balloon art
9. A Type Of Sandwich/Sandwich Item - Bologna
10. A Civil Word - Benign
11. A Meal item - Bacon
12. A School Supply - Binder

message 5: by Penni (new)

Penni | 1288 comments Mod
JoAnne - I'll let Sharon make the final call, but I believe that is correct. And then Blue Balogna would be extra points if that were the case lol.

message 6: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments Penni wrote: "JoAnne - I'll let Sharon make the final call, but I believe that is correct. And then Blue Balogna would be extra points if that were the case lol."

Thanks - don't think that's the way I've been doing it in previous months based on if it was just a word we were given.
Never played the game of scattegories

message 7: by Penni (new)

That's not how I played either before and I haven't really played scattegories for real either.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 09, 2016 12:09AM) (new)

Letter: L

Items found: 12

Items:
General

1. Book Title - Lucy Blue, Where Are You? - Louise Harwood (9/8/16) = (1 point)
2. Author - Don't Look Back - Laura Lippman (6/8/16) = (2 points)
3. Main Character - Lucy Blue - Lucy Blue, Where Are You? - Louise Harwood (9/8/16) = (1 point)
4. Secondary Character - Luke Middleton - Lucy Blue, Where Are You? - Louise Harwood (9/8/16) = (1 point)
5. Place - Lanzarote - A Proper Family Holiday - Chrissie Manby (3/8/16) = (1 point)
6. Cover - Legs / Leaves - The Lost Daughter - Diane Chamberlain (8/8/16) = (2 points)

The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain

August specials

7. A Happy Word - Laugh - A Proper Family Holiday - Chrissie Manby (3/8/16)
Chelsea looked away and pressed her lips together to contain a laugh. (loc. 3562) = (4 points)
8. A Clown Attribute - Laughter - Seven Sunny Days - Chris Manby (2/8/16)
But then the laughter erupted from her... (pg 66) = (2 points)
9. Sandwich Item - Lettuce - Seven Sunny Days - Chris Manby (2/8/16)
...eating her lamb's lettuce and tomato salad... (pg 123) = (3 points)
10. A Civil Word - Lovely - Seven Sunny Days - Chris Manby (2/8/16)
Yaslyn would look lovely in a sack (pg 25) = (3 points)
11. A Meal item - Lasagna - The Lost Daughter - Diane Chamberlain (8/8/16)
It was Sunday night and she was over for lasagna... (pg 394) = (2 points)
12. A School Supply - Laptop - A Proper Family Holiday - Chrissie Manby (3/8/16)
"On my laptop, I've got to write a piece and mail it back to London... (loc. 1497) = (3 points)

message 9: by Joann (last edited Jul 22, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Joann | 1300 comments "categories where you can find words that fit it with the letter of the month (for example: a drink - you can find a drink that starts with most letters) "

I love playing the 'real' version of scattegories and the above (from Sharon's first post) is exactly how the game is played. JoAnne's examples above would be valid answers.

I'm looking forward to playing! Now to wait for the letter.....

message 10: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments :} Sharon {; wrote: "Welcome, welcome Cheryl, JoAnne, Joann and Caroline.

JoAnne - yes, that is exactly right!!!! and, Caroline, Blue Bologna would be more points! - 2 points for Bologna and 1 point for the Blue."

So the way I've been doing it is incorrect i.e. July word flag I'm looking for the word with n words in the sentence.

message 11: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments :} Sharon {; wrote: "JoAnne wrote: "So the way I've been doing it is incorrect i.e. July word flag I'm looking for the word with n words in the sentence.

JoAnne, not wrong, that is acceptable. We have just made a cha..."

Yes, it did. I know some months the way the word was phrased you wanted a specific word from the category fitting the description.

I'll continue the way I was then. Thanks for clarifying for me a couple of times.

message 12: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil I played Scattergories as a Girl Scout in the 1960s and in Dell Puzzle Magazines in the 1970s and with the purchased game at parties in the 1980s. None of those were what I've been doing here, but I enjoy many word games, so bring on the letter of the month.

Items found:
General
1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:
6. Cover:

7. A Happy Word
8. A Clown Attribute
9. A Type Of Sandwich/Sandwich Item
10. A Civil Word
11. A Meal item
12. A School Supply

message 13: by Jonquil (last edited Jul 23, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Jonquil :} Sharon {; wrote: "reserved for letter of the month... remember, no reading until August first!!

If you have any questions, please let me know"

Sharon- To clarify--The way we had been scoring if the author's name was Bobbi Brooks you got 2 points, and six points for the title Bad Boys Brazenly Bother Bathing Beauties, and multiple points for more than one b-item on the cover. I think that will continue?

But for items 7-12 we find vegetables from just one book? or multiple B vegetables from whichever books we read during the month?

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 24, 2016 08:14AM) (new)

Jonquil wrote: "Sharon- To clarify--The way we had been scoring if the author's name was Bobbi Brooks you got 2 points...."

I'll let Sharon have the final say but I think that will continue as before.

But for items 7-12 we find vegetables from just one book? or multiple B vegetables from whichever books we read during the month?

I haven't played this Scattergories challenge before but I believe that with items 7-12 you only needed to find each item once, so that will be the same.

The difference is just in the scoring, you have the option of finding the word given (we'll use vegetables again as an example) for 1 point, plus extra points for words in the sentence beginning with the given letter (we'll use C), so

"Caroline chopped the vegetables" is worth 1 point for vegetables plus 2 extra points for Caroline chopped. Total 3

which I think is how it was being played before.

You also now have the option to find an example of the category given (vegetables) that begins with the letter (C) and that would be scored as follows

"Caroline chopped the cucumber" = 2 points for cucumber, plus 2 extra points for Caroline chopped. Total 4

or

"Caroline chopped the carrots and cucumber" = 2 points for carrots, 2 for cucumber and 1 each for Caroline chopped. Total 6

Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I'm talking in circles now :)

message 15: by Jade aka MrsTosh (last edited Aug 22, 2016 01:55AM) (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 706 comments August 1, 2016-August 31, 2016
Letter: L
Items: 12
Books Read: 5

General
1. Book Title: Lana
2. Author: R.K. Lilley - Lana
3. Main Character: Lily - The Wrong Side of Right
4. Secondary Character: Libby - The Wrong Side of Right
5. Place: Las Vegas - Dirty Together
6. Cover:Leg - Dirty Together

August specials

7. A Happy Word - The Wrong Side of Right Loc 536 She was just like me—terrified of losing her family (1 point)
8. A Clown Attribute - The Wrong Side of Right Loc 330 It wasn’t one of Cal’s “applause lines (1 point)
9. A Type Of Sandwich/Sandwich Item - Six of Hearts Loc 2127 I'm definitely not going to chicken out and leave (1 point)
10. A Civil Word - The Wrong Side of Right Loc 186Please tell me you have a doll that looks just like you.” (1 point)
11. A Meal item - Dirty Billionaire Loc 243 “Good, because I’m ordering ribs, and there’s no way I’ll be able to eat them all, so you’re gonna have to get your hands a little messy and help me out.” (1 point)
12. A School Supply - The Wrong Side of Right Loc 91 Libby smiled. “This book’s got all of our immigration policy statements. It’s what won us the nomination!” (1 point)

The Wrong Side of Right by Jenn Marie Thorne Dirty Billionaire (The Dirty Billionaire Trilogy, #1) by Meghan March Dirty Together (The Dirty Billionaire Trilogy, #3) by Meghan March Lana by R.K. Lilley Six of Hearts (Hearts, #1) by L.H. Cosway

message 16: by Penni (new)

Welcome Jade!

message 17: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 706 comments Thanks Penni :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 01, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

Sharon, I have a question... would 'lovely' work as a civil word? (As in 'nice'.)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

How about laptop for school supply? (I'm thinking college students...)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

:} Sharon {; wrote: "Yes, Caroline, I would take lovely for civil word and laptop as a school supply!"

Yay! Thank you :)

message 21: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments does lunch work for meal item?

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 03, 2016 02:34AM) (new)

Sharon, sorry to be a pain in the bottom but I just want to check I'm scoring this correctly.

A School Supply - Laptop - A Proper Family Holiday - Chrissie Manby
"On my laptop, I've got to write a piece and mail it back to London... (loc. 1497) = (3 points)

So 2 points for the school supply (laptop) and an extra 1 for the other L word in the sentence (London)? Is that right?

message 23: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments :} Sharon {; wrote: "JoAnne, I was kind of looking for an actual item for a meal - liverwurst, liver, links, etc

Caroline, I think that is right. I think this group does give points for finding more "given letters" wo..."

That's what I thought but thought I'd ask. Thanks!

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 04, 2016 01:05AM) (new)

:} Sharon {; wrote: "Caroline, I think that is right. I think this group does give points for finding more "given letters" words..."

Thanks Sharon, that's how I understood it from the discussions we'd had but I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right! I think I'm getting the hang of this game now :)

On that basis, JoAnne I noticed you could claim an extra point for your 'happy word'. Two for the word laughter plus you've got lively and life in the sentence for a point each :)

message 25: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments Caroline wrote: ":} Sharon {; wrote: "Caroline, I think that is right. I think this group does give points for finding more "given letters" words..."

Thanks Sharon, that's how I understood it from the discussions ..."

Thanks - never sure on the extra points so I've never taken them. I'll go back and adjust it.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

For the title, can I ignore words like The and A like we do for spell outs or does the first word of the title have to start with L?

(I've just read 'The Lost Daughter' and wondering if I can use it)

message 27: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments Caroline wrote: "For the title, can I ignore words like The and A like we do for spell outs or does the first word of the title have to start with L?

(I've just read 'The Lost Daughter' and wondering if I can use..."

A, An and The never count as the first word of a title.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks JoAnne. That's what I thought but wasn't sure if the rule was different for Scattergories :)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm done! (msg 11)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

:} Sharon {; wrote: "yes, do not include A, An, The, for the titles!

Well done, Caroline!!!!!! You're fast!"

I'm a little overachiever!! (And I got lucky with my books).

message 31: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments Caroline wrote: ":} Sharon {; wrote: "yes, do not include A, An, The, for the titles!

Well done, Caroline!!!!!! You're fast!"

I'm a little overachiever!! (And I got lucky with my books)."

Good job! Clown is one that's throwing me off. Have all the others. May go with laugh as well.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks JoAnne :)

Laughter was about the only L word I could think of that related to clowns!

message 33: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments Caroline wrote: "Thanks JoAnne :)

Laughter was about the only L word I could think of that related to clowns!"

I used laugh for happy word wasn't thinking of clown too.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 10, 2016 08:18AM) (new)

I used laughed for happy and laughter for clown. I decided they were different enough! :)

EDIT: No I didn't! I tell a lie. Laugh for happy and laughter for clown. Still different. Lol.

Shhh - don't tell Sharon. She might tell us we have to use totally unique words! ;)

message 35: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments Caroline wrote: "I used laughed for happy and laughter for clown. I decided they were different enough! :)

EDIT: No I didn't! I tell a lie. Laugh for happy and laughter for clown. Still different. Lol.

Shhh - don..."

I agree - laugh and laughter are different words.

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 10, 2016 08:33AM) (new)

JoAnne wrote: "I agree - laugh and laughter are different words. ..."

But let's not tell Sharon anyway - just in case - lol ;)

Actually I'm pretty sure you could just use laugh for both as long as they were in different sentences. I'm only kidding about Sharon. She's not that strict - she's very nice :)

message 37: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments Finished on post 5 with 31 points!

message 38: by Penni (new)

Wow JoAnne. Speed demon!

And Caroline - you too!

Congrats!

message 39: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments Penni wrote: "Wow JoAnne. Speed demon!

And Caroline - you too!

Congrats!"

It's nice when the books I'm reading have what I need to fulfill a challenge. Once in a while I have to go searching but not too often.
Thanks!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Well done JoAnne!

message 41: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments :} Sharon {; wrote: "Excellent job, JoAnne!!!!"

:) Thanks

message 42: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1175 comments Caroline wrote: "Well done JoAnne!"

Thanks!

message 43: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 706 comments I'm finished with only 12 points, way to go JoAnne!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Well done for finishing Jade :)