Play Book Tag discussion

The Virgin Suicides
This topic is about The Virgin Suicides
Archive: Other Books > The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (last edited Jul 22, 2016 05:21AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ellen | 2282 comments The five teen-aged Lisbon sisters, Lux, Bonnie, Mary, Therese and Cecilia, are the object of every high school boys dreams in their Michigan town. The girls' parents are overprotective and may as well be prison wardens for their children. Shortly after an unsuccessful suicide attempt, Cecilia, the youngest child at only 13, is successful on her second try. A year later, a year of deterioration on the Lisbon house and family, the remaining four girls follow their younger sisters path and kill themselves as well. Why? I don't have a clue.

While I didn't hate this book, I sure didn't like it very much either. It was depressing and weird. I don't enjoy writing that includes paragraphs that run on for 2 or more pages, long life histories of peripheral characters that ultimately have nothing to do with the plot, and way too much emphasis on bodily functions and sex (yes, I know they are teenagers). Apparently, Eugenides is not for me.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6673 comments Dang - - sorry this one wasn't good for you. I haven't read it, but always thought I would at some point just because I loved The Marriage Plot and thought Middlesex was good.

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 1545 comments Anita I love Eugenides. this was my least favorite of his but I still liked it. The Girls kind of reminded me of this book but I thought Eugenides did a better job than Cline.

Sorry you didn't like it Ellen although I am not surprised since we generally like very different sorts of books

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6673 comments Jen wrote: "Anita I love Eugenides. this was my least favorite of his but I still liked it. The Girls kind of reminded me of this book but I thought Eugenides did a better job than Cline.

Sorry you didn't lik..."

That sounds promising for me then, Jen. Since I liked The Girls. I will probably still give it a shot when the opportunity presents itself.

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I also really liked this book. But I have the impression that Eugendies is a love him or hate him type author.

Anita, I definitely think you will enjoy this book.

Ellen | 2282 comments Definitely give it a try, Anita. I am certainly in the minority with my opinion so you just may love it!

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6673 comments Ellen wrote: "Definitely give it a try, Anita. I am certainly in the minority with my opinion so you just may love it!"

Thanks for your encouragement, Ellen. I definitely respect your opinion . . .but sounds like this is one I'll have to just dig in and give it a shot to decide. I do like Eugenides so that leans in the direction of a "yes".

message 8: by Kristel (last edited Jul 23, 2016 04:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments Loved Middlesex and The Marriage Plot, Virgin Suicides my least favorite but I think this author is very impressive.

message 9: by Nileema (new)

Nileema | 150 comments I couldn't finish this book, which was a shame because I know so many people enjoyed it. Just didn't get the point of it.