Omnibus/OHC Graphic Novel Collectors discussion

Comic Reading Discussion > Crazy sale at Comixology

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saugata (new)

Saugata Mukherjee | 179 comments I am sorry to post here non Omnibus/OHC topic, but I had to get an opinion from you guys.
For the last couple of days there crazy offers going around comixology (most of them are half priced). I want to buy so much of them but have limited cash and also I have to keep saving for my hardcovers. So, from the list of discounted Dynamite and Darkhorse list I have narrowed down to a manageable list of possible buys. Now I need you guys combined help to further shorten the list, or even other better options outside the list. The list is
Dynamite:
Red Sonja - Geil Simone
Will Eisner's The Spirit - Matt Wagner
American Flagg

Darkhorse:
The Goon -- Want to have a taste to decide whether to buy Library edition
Baltimore -- Want to have a taste to decide whether to buy hardcovers
Colder - Warren Ellis
Criminal Macabre
Kabuki - David Mack -- Want to have a taste to decide whether to buy hardcovers
Mind Mgmt -- Want to have a taste to decide whether to buy hardcovers
The Shaolin Cowboy - Geoff Darrow
Umbrella Academy
True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys
Usagi Yojimbo -- Want to have a taste to decide whether to buy physical copies
Help!!!!

message 2: by Saugata (new)

Saugata Mukherjee | 179 comments As if this was not a big enough dilemma, comixology is now offering sales on Image titles too!! I have to make some hard decisions this month :(
I will try to add Image titles too in this list tomorrow.

message 3: by Relstuart, Mod+ (last edited Jul 21, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

Relstuart | 2914 comments Mod
My two pennies, Image titles I am really liking right now: Birthright and Descender are about my two favorite titles in comics right now. I am also liking LOW and Black Science by Remender. I Hate Fairlyland is delightfully awful. Millar's Starlight is fantastic.

From Dark Horse, I subscribed to Jeff Lemire's Black Hammer. The first issue came out a few weeks ago so if you are interested in a single issue (or two?) this would be my recommendation. I get my issues a week or two late since I buy from a comic book shop out of town that ships them to me.

Other than that I would check out The Goon and Kabuki series just because the Library Editions are such good deals. If you like the material they will make wonderful additions to your library. Mind Management also gets a lot of positive press.

Umbrella Academy has HCs but IIRC some of them are very expensive now in the aftermarket. So it's a risk reading it, if you love it you may end up chasing some expensive books.

The Lion's Share Starlight is soooo good.

Also try Ten Grand.

message 5: by Saugata (last edited Jul 23, 2016 09:59AM) (new)

Saugata Mukherjee | 179 comments Thanks a lot for both of your advises. I already have bought Starlight from a previous Image sale. Now after these praises, I have to read it ASAP.
After a lot of deliberation, I have bought:

Shaolin Cowboy
True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys - No idea what to expect here, but this series has great reviews here.
Birthright - Vol1, to get a taste
Dark Science - Vol1, to get a taste
Peter Panzerfaust
Four Eyes: Forged In Flames - No idea, but good reviews.

This costed me more than 40 bucks, I guess I would have to try Goon next time :( or I will check/borrow first arc to see whether to invest in library editions.

message 6: by Saugata (new)

Saugata Mukherjee | 179 comments Alistair wrote: "Starlight is soooo good.

Also try Ten Grand."

Ten Grand's premise sounds exciting but sadly it is not a part of this sale.

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven (wyldemusick) | 12 comments Saugata wrote: "I guess I would have to try Goon next time :( or I will check/borrow first arc to see whether to invest in library editions."

I was able to borrow the Goon Library Editions from my local library, and was impressed enough with the first that I went and bought the first two from Amazon. I'll pick up the third when money frees up, and I have the fourth on pre-order (by then money should be freed up.) Gorgeous books...digital is several steps down in this case.

message 8: by Aildiin (last edited Jul 25, 2016 03:42PM) (new)

Aildiin | 127 comments I grabbed a bunch of Image titles ( Satellite Sam, the first 3 elephantmen, black magic, Drifter 1 and 2, invisible Republic) , there are a lot of comics for which I am fine with a digital edition these days.

I am slowly moving to a point where I only want deluxe /omnibus/absolute/library edition for prints and the rest I am fine with digital. Except for a few series for which i buy the singles too to support the author ( Saga, East of West, all the Images Remender, Chew, Batman, Detective Comics, Dr Strange, Birthright, and a few more).

message 9: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

Blindzider | 3243 comments Mod
Aildiin wrote: "I grabbed a bunch of Image titles ( Satellite Sam, the first 3 elephantmen, black magic, Drifter 1 and 2, invisible Republic) , there are a lot of comics for which I am fine with a digital edition ..."

It's an interesting conundrum for the industry: I think more and more people are "waiting for the trades" (like me) but someone has to buy the singles too in order to keep the series going and gauge whether the book should get a trade. Hopefully there is a nice balance.

message 10: by Aildiin (new)

Aildiin | 127 comments Blindzider wrote: "Aildiin wrote: "I grabbed a bunch of Image titles ( Satellite Sam, the first 3 elephantmen, black magic, Drifter 1 and 2, invisible Republic) , there are a lot of comics for which I am fine with a ..."

I know , that's why I try to still have around 20 titles in my pull list
( 15 or so for me and the rest for my wife, she actually prefers singles).

message 11: by Relstuart, Mod+ (new)

Relstuart | 2914 comments Mod
I went ten years without buying any singles but I've recently starting picking up a few again. My list for now is:

Old Man Logan
Batman Beyond
Black Hammer
Lake of Fire

with recent additions of
Captain America: Steve Rogers
Moon Knight (because Jeff Lemire is writing it)

I was subscribed to The Black Knight and Winter Soldier before they were canceled.

message 12: by Saugata (new)

Saugata Mukherjee | 179 comments I on the other hand am a very impatient person by nature. I love to binge and waiting for a month or even a week (in case of tv series) for next installment makes me crazy. Cliffhangers are not really good for my heart and blood pressure:)
So, I normally wait for at least 3 tpbs (or a deluxe) to pile up before I jump onto something. More often than not, I only pick runs that have been concluded.
Be that as it may, I understand and respect the arguments for supporting runs and writers through single issues. Your pull lists are the lifeblood of persons like me. Without your support we would not get such marvelous runs like ED Brubaker's ceiminal or Garth Ennis' Punisher.