Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
This topic is about The Emperor's Blades
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Emperor's Blades

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
For past, present or future comments.

Solseit | 1460 comments Thank you Scott for opening the thread!

About the book itself, I have been so excited throughout the book really (I have been hearing it as an audio book but I will be reading the second one).
I will try to pick only some, few really, topics that pop in my head right now but I hope we can start a much much bigger conversation!
I really enjoyed the three brothers' stories and the one I possibly liked the best was Adare. As anticipated in another thread, Adare had too little space in my opinion yet she is a very strong character and I am looking forward to have her character being developed more. I am not entirely fond of the fact that the author has her fall in love with the Regent - and what he turns to be in the end - but I want to see how her knowledge will help in the deception against the killer of her father. I am almost expecting that the second book focuses a lot more on her.

I also loved how Staveley develops the Kettral - I find fascinating this "creation" of an elite army that uses a bird (albeit giant) to travel. Clearly the idea of the elite army is not new but I liked the spin the author gave here.

Tan was one of my favorite side characters. Somehow, it reminded me of Yoda - I have not giving it too much of a thought but he is a strong male figure, who talks little, who is a monk (dressed in a simple tunic) and knows the art of fighting, besides being the mentor of the to be emperor, Kaden. It might be a superficial comparison but my mind keeps making the connection.

Again, I just picked three topics to start the conversation!
What are your thoughts? :D

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I liked the ending for Adare

(view spoiler)

but her part in general was too short.

The Kettral were like special forces and I've always thought the name kestrel was cool and I think he may have derived it from there with the giant bird tie-in.

Tan was a bit harsh to be Yoda. There's a character from the last airbender called John-John that he reminds me of and an actor from big trouble in little China that could have played him. Definitely one cool individual.

message 4: by Eli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments I actually hated the Adare chapters right until the last one, which finally sparked my interest for her and her situation. Now I am really looking forward to see how she handles it!

I also thought the Kaden chapters were really boring in the beginning. At least until Tan came into the story, and then I was more interested to find out what secrets he was hiding than reading about Kaden's training.

I think the first half of the book was a little too slow for my taste, but once the story really began to flow I greatly enjoyed it. So I have high expectations for the second book.

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jul 22, 2016 02:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree with everything you said Eli with the exception of I thought Adare got interesting when she went to the priest's temple. Really the first book was Valyn's. I did love that when he confronted Yurl there was no mercy. I really hope his crew becomes bad ass in the coming books.

message 6: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela | 3593 comments Mod
I agree the first book was Valyn's. The Kettral were fascinating. I loved the whole concept of the birds being used to fight. I found Tan difficult to like. In the long run though I do feel like his methods make sense. You know that is a teaser for the next book. ;).

message 7: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela | 3593 comments Mod
To me it always felt like Adare wasn't even really in the book. There were so few chapters that I involved her, though she was crucial for the ending of the book with the reveal about the Regent.

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Just finished the book. I agree with Eli about first half of the book being slow but the second half picked up the pace nicely. Of the three POV's i found Valyn's story the most interesting and i loved the way he got his powers from the black slarn egg. The best side character for me was Tan. Pyrre Lakatur was very cool and i'm looking forward reading more about her in Skullsworn.

Solseit | 1460 comments Samir wrote: "Just finished the book. I agree with Eli about first half of the book being slow but the second half picked up the pace nicely. Of the three POV's i found Valyn's story the most interesting and i l..."

Hi Samir, I certainly agree on Pyrre. I am curious about her - and I am curious to know who paid for her services! Was it the Emperor before dying? Is it someone else who has the line at heart and is trying to preserve it? If so, who is this secret ally?

I am curious about Triste as well. Besides being very pretty, is she going to become a more important character?

A last element that raised my interest (and I apologize, I hear the book only so I am shaky on the spelling of names and places) is the other order of monks, the fighting monks.
I am resisting the urge to start the second one to start with everybody else but I am very excited about it and I am hoping the open questions will receive answers and there are so many!

message 10: by Samir (last edited Jul 24, 2016 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Aristea wrote: "Samir wrote: "Just finished the book. I agree with Eli about first half of the book being slow but the second half picked up the pace nicely. Of the three POV's i found Valyn's story the most inter..."

Hi Aristea, I'm also curious to know who paid Pyrre, maybe it was the Emperor or maybe he wrote another secret letter to someone, a secret ally as you called him or her :)
I was also intrigued by the other order of monks (Ishien ; ) and i believe Tan knows more about them than he revealed.

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Really good points about Pyrre and Triste. I also wonder if their temples will get drawn into the conflict.

I'm doing this on audio which takes me longer than reading simply due to time available so I may start a few days early once my current audio book is done.

Grace (allthatisgold) | 18 comments So... I avoided this thread until I finished cuz I may or may not have been slightly spoiled when glancing at it once earlier. ;) Either way, now that I'm finished, some quick thoughts while formulating a review.

Did anyone else guess the whodunits early? There were red herrings here and there but overall, I found the 'mysteries' that drove the plot to be a little... simple.

I also am not a fan when an author informs the reader of a certain plot revelation and then switches perspective to someone who doesn't share in that revelation. Not so much the dissonance at the beginning, but more of the dissonance at the end.

I really liked Valyn's story a lot. Thankfully it was most of what made this book.

I did like how the letter at the end tied in the title (and front cover) of the book very neatly.

When it came to a bigger picture, Adare's path made sense or at least, where she was directed was understandable. Still wasn't happy with it though.

I did purchase book 2 on Kindle (full priced too) right when I finished book 1 so there's that. Though I think I need to get further into MoI before I can make another jump into fantasy. :)

message 13: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I thought many of the same things as you did after book one. I thought book one still finished strong which is what got me to decide to do book two. Book two was leaps and bounds better IMO.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Well i just started book 1 and I really like the tone kinda grim in my opinion. Like somethings about to go down big time.