Jean Rhys Reading Week discussion

The Collected Short Stories
This topic is about The Collected Short Stories
Short Stories

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Anderson (lonesomereader) | 26 comments Mod
Discuss The Left Bank and Other Stories, Tigers Are Better-Looking, My Day: Three Pieces, Sleep It Off Lady, Tales of the Wide Caribbean, Let Them Call It Jazz, or The Collected Short Stories.

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (canonette) | 6 comments I've read the first five stories in Sleep It Off Lady today. I'd definitely recommend Jean Rhys' short stories. They are quite dark; dealing with paedophilia, madness and child abuse. For anyone who is interested in Jean Rhys, they disclose another layer of her personality.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 4 comments I'm about halfway through Sleep It Off Lady and the stories, so far, appear to be fictionalised autobiography; the early stories are set in Dominica whilst the ones Icm reading at the moment are about going to school in England and starting out as an actress. I'm finding the longer stories generally better than the shorter ones.

message 4: by JacquiWine (new)

JacquiWine | 22 comments Mod
I've just posted a piece about the stories in Tigers Are Better-Looking. There are some remarkable stories here, especially Till September Petronella, Outside the Machine and Let Them Call It Jazz. Many of them capture the loneliness and despair of the perennial outsider.

https://jacquiwine.wordpress.com/2016...

Also, some very exciting news: Penguin will be publishing The Collected Short Stories in March 2017! There's a preview of the cover in my post.

message 5: by JacquiWine (new)

Jonathan wrote: "I'm about halfway through Sleep It Off Lady and the stories, so far, appear to be fictionalised autobiography; the early stories are set in Dominica whilst the ones Icm reading at the moment are ab..."

Did you see Marina's post on the comparison between these stories and Rhys' unfinished autobiography, Smile Please? Your impressions of the stories certainly chime with Marina's. I've yet to read Sleep It Off Lady, but a few of her other stories are set in the Caribbean too, maybe a couple in Tigers. The majority are rooted in England or elsewhere in Europe (France in particular).

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 4 comments Yes, I read Marina's post. It does look as if both books complement each other. I'm assuming that the stories in SIOL were written close to the publication date, i.e. not older stories. Do you know if that's true, Jacqui?

message 7: by JacquiWine (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Yes, I read Marina's post. It does look as if both books complement each other. I'm assuming that the stories in SIOL were written close to the publication date, i.e. not older stories. Do you know..."

I believe so. Most of the stories published in Tigers Are Better-Looking (1968) were written in her wilderness years during the '40s and '50s, so I guess the pieces in SIOL came later. I'll try to check this with Penguin.

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 4 comments I have written a review of Sleep It Off Lady here on GoodReads. I'm looking forward to reading some more books by Rhys.