2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2016 > The Book Thief: General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Aug 17, 2016 10:20AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4679 comments Our August group read will be The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

Taylor has agreed to lead another group read, thank you so much!

message 2: by Taylor C (new)

Taylor C | 454 comments Thanks Winter. :)
Hello everyone!

I hope to see many faces this month for this book. I will be leading 'The Book Thief' discussion for you. Ironically, this book was recommended to me a few months ago. So it's funny to me that I'm leading this and the monthly challenge "August Recommendations." I suppose I'm killing 2 with one stone. :)

I'm going to be listening to LOTR the next 2 days so I can finally finish it. I've been slacking on that book, ALOT! So I hope to see many of you within the next few days. :)

message 3: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K I read this a few years ago and actually had to study it for school, so I won't be participating this month. Have fun.

message 4: by Paul Emily (new)

Paul Emily Ryan (kickbackyak) Ah, I loved this book! At least I think I did, it's been years since I read it. I'd say that if I didn't have so much else to read (like I always do...) I'd read it again this month, but I don't have it anymore! We did, and then we lent it to our cousin I think and it was never seen again :/ I still remember it pretty well though, so it could be worse. :) Enjoy everyone! As much as you can, that is. ;)

message 5: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments This is one of my favorites! Hope you all enjoy it.

message 6: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4679 comments Nice to see so many people loved it!

message 7: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 656 comments I got the German editon from library and started it yesterday. The first 20 pages I struggled little bit, but now I'm loving it pretty much. since I realised the library e-books have different page counts than most of the original book/e-book references and this one has no chapter numbers its really hard to tell where I am for a reference but I read about 15% into the book.

I hope the stupid migraine will leave soon so I can read faster and more again!

message 8: by Taylor C (new)

Taylor C | 454 comments Paul wrote: "Ah, I loved this book! At least I think I did, it's been years since I read it. I'd say that if I didn't have so much else to read (like I always do...) I'd read it again this month, but I don't ha..."

Thank you Louisa and Kara!
Paul- It's unfortunate when a good book comes up missing. I completely agree on having several to read this month. I have at least 6 bigger books to read. (Probably shouldn't have read all youth books last month lol)

Agnieszka- Follow along as you can. :) I've done that many times with ebooks. Sometimes they have a location and not a page, or you can't search by chapter. It's ok. Happy for you to join us. :)

I started mine last night and I briefly finished the author/narrator parts. I'm not very far but I'm ready for the first chapter. :)

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Huelsenbeck (andrea_r_huelsenbeck) | 3 comments I just happened to start this book a few days ago. I'd started it long ago and never finished it.
I don't like the narrator's voice. I think the novel started really slowly because of it. I don't like him insinuating himself by telling me his body count from time to time. A lot of the reviews I've read of this book commend the author for the originality of using Death as the narrator, but I just think it's distracting.
I'm a little past the halfway mark as of this moment.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Huelsenbeck (andrea_r_huelsenbeck) | 3 comments Agnieszka wrote: "I got the German editon from library and started it yesterday. The first 20 pages I struggled little bit, but now I'm loving it pretty much. since I realised the library e-books have different page..."

I'm so impressed that you're reading this in German. Good for you!

message 11: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 656 comments Andrea wrote: "Agnieszka wrote: "I got the German editon from library and started it yesterday. The first 20 pages I struggled little bit, but now I'm loving it pretty much. since I realised the library e-books h..."

There's nothing to be impressed about - I'm living in Germany. I spent most of my life here - even if I was born in Poland and knew only two words before my parents decided to move to Germany I speak now much better German than Polish. I'm not even sure if my English isn't even better than my Polish so I decided for this year to read at least one book in Polish per month (original or translation - don't mind either) but I'm awfully behind with 2 finished and 2 other started I really have to read some more of those if I want to come anything near my goal until the end of the year ;-)

I just have all these freebies and most of them are much more fun :-)

message 12: by Kym (new)

Kym Hamer (kymhamer) | 139 comments I read a couple of months ago and really loved it - looking forward to the discussion!

message 13: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 656 comments Just finished it and still not sure how I think about it.

message 14: by Catty (new)

Catty I read it last year, and to be quite honest, although many people felt that it was a Very Important And Original Book, I was really quite underwhelmed by the time I finished it. I didn't think the language or the narration worked all that well - I felt the author was trying to just be clever really - and I only liked and could relate to the initial part describing the relationship between the girl and her father, which was nice for me to read as a parent. None of the storyline surprised or engaged me over much either, so I was quite disappointed overall. Oh well!

message 15: by Taylor C (new)

Taylor C | 454 comments Not gonna lie I'm struggling. Lol. I'm doing my best though, Everyone! If anyone is still reading we can do this! If not, I appreciate your efforts.

message 16: by Namrata (new)

Namrata Singha | 1 comments hmm.... maybe I should try it..my friend recommended it but I didn't get around to reading it

message 17: by Taylor C (new)

Taylor C | 454 comments Namrata wrote: "hmm.... maybe I should try it..my friend recommended it but I didn't get around to reading it"

It was recommended to me several times. I've noticed the beginning is slow and scattered. I've gone back and forth a few times, but I'm going to keep on going. :)

message 18: by Barb (new)

Barb | 9 comments I read it February 2014 and gave it a 5**** , I no longer remember it as I read about 80 books a year.

message 19: by ~~~Sue~~~ (new)

~~~Sue~~~ O. I used the book on CD for this one because after starting it I had trouble finding time to stay with it. I really got into it and when I finished it I watched the Movie that was made and the book is so much better!! I felt it was worth the read (well listen), I tend to listen to book on CD in my car so I listen to and from work and whenever I have errands and dont have the kids with me.

message 20: by Liz (new)

Liz | 133 comments i loved this story, the characters and narrator. so well written and well worth reading and re-reading again

message 21: by Taylor C (new)

Taylor C | 454 comments Sue wrote: "I used the book on CD for this one because after starting it I had trouble finding time to stay with it. I really got into it and when I finished it I watched the Movie that was made and the book i..."

That's what I did for this book' i listened to it on audio :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Book Thief (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Markus Zusak (other topics)