Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Quarterly Irish Read Nominations > Aug-Oct Quarterly Nominations

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations are now open for our Aug - Oct quarterly book selection. Quick reminder of the rules for nominating.

1. Books nominated for the quarterly group read must be by an Irish author or deal with specifically Irish issues.
2. Each member may only nominate one book.
3. Authors are reminded they are not permitted to self nominate.
4. When nominating please use either the add book function or include a link to the book's Goodreads page.
5. To ensure books are accessible and affordable for everyone people are encouraged not to nominate recent releases, or books only available in hardback.
6. I will be checking how available books nominated are and will flag any books which people may have difficulty accessing. If I'm concerned about the accessibility of a book, it can still be nominated but will be flagged so people can make an informed decision in the poll.
7. Only nominations for the quarterly read posted in this thread will be accepted. Do not PM me with your nomination. It will not be accepted.
8. The poll will open on Sunday. The two books with the most votes at the end of the poll will be selected.
9. Nominations will remain open until midnight GMT on Saturday 23rd July. For those outside Ireland/UK that's
New York: 7.00pm
LA: 4.00pm
Sydney: 11.00am, 24th July

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I'm going to get the ball rolling and nominate Nothing On Earth by Conor O'Callaghan. My mother is currently reading it and it seems interesting.

message 3: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (missos) | 19 comments I will nominate Rebel Sisters by Marita McConlan-McKenna. Not sure if the group read it already.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments For a lovely change of pace Rain Dogs by Adrian McKinty. The books are set in Allan's hometown of Carrickfergus and are first rate.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Who's Allan ;-)

message 6: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 152 comments I'm in a crime reading mood so I will go for Distress Signals by Catherine Ryan Howard.

message 7: by Margo (new)

Margo Those all sound good but Nothing On Earth and Rebel Sisters are both cheaper in paper than on kindle. This makes no sense.

Susan, your nomination is book 5 of a series. Would you need to have read the earlier ones?

message 9: by Margo (new)

Margo Christy, is that set in a fantasy world?

message 10: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments I'd like to nominate All Over Ireland: New Irish Short Stories, edited by Deirdre Madden. I'm reading it now, and I think it could generate some interesting discussion.

message 11: by Christy (new)

Christy Nicholas (greendragon9) | 53 comments Margo wrote: "Christy, is that set in a fantasy world?"

It's set mostly in modern day Ireland, with slips into the fairy world, and some bits in Wales, England, Scotland and the US.

message 12: by Margo (new)

Margo Thanks Christy. I couldn't my head around the blurb ;-)

message 13: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
It looks like there's a few interesting options here so far. I once again will nominate a Claire Kilroy book. All Names Have Been Changed

message 14: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn I'll nominate The Absolutist by John Boyne. The Absolutist https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Paul, I am sure you remember Allan who was a member of our group even before you joined. Margo you do not have to have read the other ones to enjoy this one. I think it would be lovely to read a mystery as a change of pace.

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul Just kidding because its been a while

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Reminder nominations close at midnight tonight.

message 18: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 151 comments The Framing of Harry Gleeson
The Framing of Harry Gleeson by Kieran Fagan

A true crime story.

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations are now closed.

message 20: by Emma (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.