Book Snails Book Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVED > Best Book Covers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 153 (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Allison  (bookgirl1987) | 1150 comments Mod
Show us your favorite book covers! Part of the beauty of a wonderful book is an awesome cover. Please try to include the actual cover image if you can!

message 2: by Julie (last edited Jul 21, 2016 03:26AM) (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) A Company of Heroes Personal Memories about the Real Band of Brothers and the Legacy They Left Us by Marcus Brotherton

This is a book I actually paid full price for (please read my entry on discussion board about where I get my books). It's so amazing/terrifying/honorable/selfless what these soldiers went through. "Band of Brothers" is one of the best mini-series ever about the greatest generation ever. The reason I love this cover is I can see the actual men that this book is about. It makes me feel more connected to their story.

message 3: by Julie (last edited Jul 21, 2016 03:34AM) (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Flash The Homeless Donkey Who Taught Me about Life, Faith, and Second Chances by Rachel Anne Ridge

This is one of the best Christmas gifts I ever bought my Mom. Lol - because I borrowed it and read it before she even did and never returned it (on purpose). This is one of the best books I have ever read and I fell in love with this little donkey that he just had to stay with me. Before you feel bad for my Mom, the book just sat on a table for about a month so I asked if I could read it first. :-) The reason why I love this cover is: who could not LOVE a face like Flash's?!?!

message 4: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Julie,

"Flash" looks interesting and cute. I'll have to look that one up!

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Allison wrote: "Julie,

"Flash" looks interesting and cute. I'll have to look that one up!"

If I ever have the opportunity and land to purchase a larger sized animal, I am definitely getting a donkey over a horse. They are amazing creatures. :-)

message 6: by StarMan (last edited Jul 23, 2016 06:23PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments I like the donkey book cover! That book (Flash) is actually on my To-Read list. The WWII book looks great as well.

Here are a few of the more visually impressive or eye-catching covers (from books that have passed through my house):

The Season of Passage by Christopher Pike Eon (Eon, #1) by Alison Goodman The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey Into the Dreamlands by Jason Andrew The Different Girl by Gordon Dahlquist The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1) by Lisa M. Stasse Restoring Harmony by Joelle Anthony Salvaged (Salvaged, #1) by Stefne Miller Adaptation (Adaptation, #1) by Malinda Lo The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #1) by Mary E. Pearson
Dark Star (Dark Star, #1) by Bethany Frenette On the Edge of Gone by Corinne Duyvis The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze Goldfinger (James Bond, #7) by Ian Fleming Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1) by R.J. Anderson The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson The Poison Eaters and Other Stories by Holly Black

(I tried to arrange 'em more or less in rainbow sequence, ROYGBIV)

I won't list all my fave covers from my adult sci-fi list... but here are 3:

Forbidden Planets by Marvin Kaye   Breakaway (Cassandra Kresnov, #2) by Joel Shepherd   Buying Time by Joe Haldeman

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Rainbow sequence observed and appreciated!!! :-) Why don't I think of things like that! As for the covers themselves, these are really cool to look at. Thanks for sharing! And glad you are going to read Flash!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

message 9: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "I like the donkey book cover! That book (Flash) is actually on my To-Read list. The WWII book looks great as well.

Here are a few of the more visually impressive or eye-catching covers (from books..."

Wow, StarMan! Impressive.

message 10: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Benjamin wrote: "Island by Aldous Huxley Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman The Complete Fiction by H.P. Lovecraft [bookcover:The Poems of Emily Dickinson|116..."

Nice, Benjamin! I loved The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.

message 11: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Ooh, a lot of these are really cool looking. I think I'll need to check some of them out.

I'll add
The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle #2.5) by Patrick Rothfuss The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1) by Helene Wecker Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1) by Robert Jackson Bennett

message 12: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Allison wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "Island by Aldous Huxley Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman The Complete Fiction by H.P. Lovecraft [bookcover:The Poems of Em..."

Benajamin, those look like works of art... would look great as posters on the wall. Thanks for sharing.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) These are all incredible covers from everyone so far. I am glad this is a discussion topic! Thanks Allison!

message 14: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Here's one that folks seem to either love or hate (book to be published in Oct 2016):

Nemesis (Nemesis #1) by Anna Banks Nemesis

Click to enlarge and take a look... what's your reaction?
Read some of the "reviews" it already has... cover variously described as pretty, hideous, freaky, fantastic, etc. Personally, I'd call it intriguing (different enough to make me want to look inside).

message 15: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "These are all incredible covers from everyone so far. I am glad this is a discussion topic! Thanks Allison!"

Glad to think of something everyone likes!

message 16: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "Here's one that folks seem to either love or hate (book to be published in Oct 2016):

Nemesis (Nemesis #1) by Anna BanksNemesis

Click to enlarge and take a look... what's your reaction?..."

Freaky AND fantastic!

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) I think its great. She is beautiful. At first glance, I thought she was a zombie. Lol. Blowing up the image, she became, while unique, a beauty of her kind. Dont get the hate at all.

message 18: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments This is slightly off topic, but thought y'all might enjoy:

"Every November, during National Novel Writing Month, thirty professional designers volunteer to create book cover art inspired by novels being written by aspiring authors from around the globe."

See the 30 covers from last year:
http://blog.nanowrimo.org/tagged/30_c...

Any participant can nominate a book... it's a surprise which 30 get chosen, one cover each day for November.

message 19: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Thanks for sharing that, StarMan. :) It's interesting to see the covers, and very cool that people volunteer to create them.

I'm definitely in the wrong line of work. ;)

message 20: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "I think its great. She is beautiful. At first glance, I thought she was a zombie. Lol. Blowing up the image, she became, while unique, a beauty of her kind. Dont get the hate at all."

I agree, Julie.

message 21: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "This is slightly off topic, but thought y'all might enjoy:

"Every November, during National Novel Writing Month, thirty professional designers volunteer to create book cover art inspired by novels..."

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) The Darkest Hour by Caroline Tung Richmond

The Darkest Hour

This one is up for winning in tonight's giveaway. I love the cover so thought I would share!

message 23: by StarMan (last edited Jul 26, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments That's a great cover (The Darkest Hour), Julie... thanks for info on the giveaway, too.

It reminds me of a book by Philip K. Dick (of Blade Runner fame) that's been published in about 70 different formats and nearly as many cover designs: The Man in the High Castle.

Many of the covers certainly would make me pick up the book to see what it's about.

A small sample of the many covers is below. I like the first one below (from 1962) best, but it's amazing what different publishers/artists came up with. The fourth one is just... weird.

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick   Man in the High Castle, The by Philip K. Dick   The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick   The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick   კაცი მაღალ კოშკში by Philip K. Dick   The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick   The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick   The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

Of course it's now a TV series as well, an Amazon original series. I usually avoid alternate-history books or shows. This one, however is worth checking out: drama, suspense, danger, and a wee bit of sci-fi intrigue. It's a dystopia that might-have-been.

message 24: by StarMan (last edited Jul 26, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Allison wrote: "StarMan wrote: "Here's one that folks seem to either love or hate (book to be published in Oct 2016):

Nemesis (Nemesis #1) by Anna BanksNemesis

Click to enlarge and take a look... what'..."

I like it... as Allison said, it's both freaky and fantastic.

Thanks for posting all the fun covers, everyone. I hope we get many more added here.

message 25: by Julie (last edited Jul 28, 2016 12:25AM) (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Starve, Volume 1
Starve, Volume 1 by Brian Wood

This one caught my eye tonight. Its sick but artistic.

message 26: by StarMan (last edited Jul 29, 2016 09:35AM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments One of the better covers for a classic:

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Frankenstein

or if you prefer a version with some unique illustrations....

Steampunk Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Steampunk: Frankenstein

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) StarMan wrote: "One of the better covers for a classic:

Frankenstein

[bookcover:Steampunk: Franken..."

Wow, that's a hard one for me to pick which one I like better. There is something about just being a classy, creepy kind of cover with font to match. I do love the Steampunk version though. I like the skin being open and stitches, but not the "rib cage" part of it. I would say, I will pick the classic on this one.

message 28: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments I love those! I have a copy of the first one you listed. It's from B&N's (faux) leather-bound collection, complete with gilt/colored page edges, satin ribbon bookmark, etc. Just beware the H.G. Wells one - it has glittery page edges that, of course, shed glitter everywhere. They did a similar one for Dracula (without glitter):

Dracula by Bram Stoker

And speaking of cool-looking editions of Dracula, the Edward Gorey-illustrated one is fun:

Dracula by Bram Stoker

message 29: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Nice Dracula cover, Elise!

And I confess I found that first Frankenstein cover on Elise's book list :)

It's hard to resist those nice classic leather-bound re-issues at B&N and BaM. I've seen some nice ones for the complete works of Lovecraft or Poe. Or for classics such as Alice in Wonderland (there's even a version illustrated by Salvador Dali).

message 30: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments StarMan, you did? Haha that's cool. I didn't remember listing that edition.

I absolutely agree about the leatherbound ones - I have quite a few of those, including Lovecraft. A couple from Borders, too, including Poe. :) And I love this little Lord of the Rings set. :)

Woah, hold on - Alice in Wonderland illustrated by Dali?!?! I have to find that! (Why did I not know about that??) Thank you for mentioning it!

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Glitter always seems like a good idea for crafts UNTIL you actually start to use it. Then you continue finding glitter everywhere for the next three months! Kind of like Christmas tree needles! Haha!

message 32: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
with Dali illustrations

or visit
https://diamondinteriors.org/2013/06/... for some sample illustrations

You also must see this collaboration between Dali and... Walt Disney:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GFkN...

message 33: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Julie, yes! Glitter is evil. It's worse than cat hair. At least there's a worthwhile reason for having cat hair around, sticking to everything, getting in your eyes, etc. ;)

‎StarMan, WOW! That video floored me. Of course those two working together would create something amazing (I didn't even realize they'd ever worked together), but that's even more gorgeous than I could have imagined. Again, I ask: why did I not know about this?? That's stunning! Wow. I'm in awe.

‎Thank you!! Ouch, my poor want list. ;)

message 34: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

I Am Legend, by Richard Matheson I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

Creep-tastic cover

message 35: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "Starve, Volume 1
Starve, Volume 1 by Brian Wood

This one caught my eye tonight. Its sick but artistic."

Wow. I like it...

message 36: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "StarMan wrote: "One of the better covers for a classic:

Frankenstein

[bookcover:St..."

I agree with Julie on this one.

message 37: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Just Elise wrote: "StarMan, you did? Haha that's cool. I didn't remember listing that edition.

I absolutely agree about the leatherbound ones - I have quite a few of those, including Lovecraft. A couple from Borders..."

The Alice in Wonderland version by Dali sounds pretty cool.

message 38: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "Glitter always seems like a good idea for crafts UNTIL you actually start to use it. Then you continue finding glitter everywhere for the next three months! Kind of like Christmas tree needles! Haha!"

Yep...they actually make glitter bombs you can send your enemies...LOL

message 39: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments This is a short story (available as eBook or online at http://www.tor.com/2016/05/04/red-as-... ). I haven't read it yet, but the cover caught my eye:

Red as Blood and White as Bone by Theodora Goss
Red as Blood and White as Bone
by Theodora Goss

message 40: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) The Anything Box by Zenna Henderson
The Anything Box

Her eyes are huge for such a little face. Interesting look.

message 41: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) The Anything Box by Zenna Henderson
The Anything Box

Her face, with those huge eyes, looks so scared, but yet she is "holding" a place that looks so tranquil. Interesting book cover for me.

message 42: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Spooky eyes!

Here's a great art deco cover example:

First edition Metropolis, 1927

More art deco covers at:
http://www.abebooks.com/books/rareboo...

message 43: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "This is a short story (available as eBook or online at http://www.tor.com/2016/05/04/red-as-... ). I haven't read it yet, but the cover caught my eye:

[bookcover:Red as Blood ..."

That's a beautiful book cover!

message 44: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "The Anything Box by Zenna Henderson
The Anything Box

Her eyes are huge for such a little face. Interesting look."

I like this one!

message 45: by Allison , Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "The Anything Box by Zenna Henderson
The Anything Box

Her face, with those huge eyes, looks so scared, but yet she is "holding" a place that looks so tranquil. Interesting book cover ..."

Do you own this book, Julie? Or did you find it searching for cool covers?

message 46: by Allison , Mod Nerd (last edited Aug 04, 2016 05:58PM) (new)

StarMan wrote: "Spooky eyes!

More art deco covers at:
http://www.abebooks.com/books/rareboo......"

Awesome!

message 47: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Allison wrote: "Julie wrote: "The Anything Box by Zenna Henderson
The Anything Box

Her face, with those huge eyes, looks so scared, but yet she is "holding" a place that looks so tranquil. Interesti..."

I don't have the book. I was looking at books on Google and this one just kind of jumped out at me. :-)

message 48: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) StarMan wrote: "Spooky eyes!

Pure classic art deco for sure!!

More art deco covers at:
http://www.abebooks.com/books/rareboo......"

message 49: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Julie wrote: "The Anything Box by Zenna Henderson
The Anything Box

Those EYES remind me of another book I recently came across:

Dead a Lot  by Howard Odentz
Dead a Lot

message 50: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) StarMan wrote: "Julie wrote: "The Anything Box by Zenna Henderson
The Anything Box

Those EYES remind me of another book I recently came ..."

Might be her big, dead, sister. :-) I added this to my read list also! haha

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.