Book Snails Book Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVED > What are you reading, July 2016?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1150 comments Mod
What are you reading, July 2016?

Some suggested topics for discussion:

* How are you liking your current reads?

* Any recommendations for the group?

* Are you branching out in genres?

* Are you making a dent in your TBR--or not hardly?

* How's your 2016 Reading Challenge going?

* Surprised you're enjoying a certain genre?

* What are you reading for other book groups?

* Are you reading an "overly-hyped" book and just not feeling it?

Any and all comments are welcome in this thread!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Once I get child to sleep, I will answer this! Great new discussion topic Allison!

message 3: by Julie (last edited Jul 21, 2016 04:07AM) (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Sudden Sea The Great Hurricane of 1938 by R.A. Scotti

I have to admit, I'm just trying to get through this one. I feel disrespectful since people lost their lives in this hurricane, but the writing is just way too many details about pointless things for me (the buildup of the storm took way too long). There are nuggets of good reading parts but just too few. I am on page 128 so I'm only a third in. I hope the rest of the writing gets better.

As for other book groups, I'm not in any others. I just haven't had a chance to look around yet. :-). I am really attached to this group.

message 4: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Right now I'm reading My Darkest Years by James Bachner, which is a Holocaust memoir, and I'm reading another memoir too, called Miss O'Dell, which is about a woman, Chris O'Dell, who worked for the Beatles and the Stones and was friends with Eric Clapton, Pattie Boyd, Leon Russell, etc. They're both really interesting, but it's kind of weird reading them at the same time, because it's completely different worlds. It's also weird in the sense that, 25 years after the Holocaust, parts of the world were having a free love/hippie moment, which I think is actually pretty beautiful! After all that death and destruction, there was so much love and good vibes.

I've also been reading Alexander Hamilton's biography by Ron Chernow since January.. It's just so mammoth! Over 800 pages. I just hope to finish it by the end of the year. I'm pretty sure Goodreads says that I'm 54% done with it, because it is over 800 pages, but the biography really ends around 700 pages, and the rest are author notes, references, and works cited. So, thankfully, I've read more than what's actually being shown!

My goal for the reading challenge this year was 30 books, and I've read 19, but after these two memoirs, which I should finish at the end of the month, I'll be at 21. I think after that I'll probably be reading a book by Fitzgerald, though I don't know which one yet, either The Beautiful and Damned, This Side of Paradise, or Tender is the Night. And I'm excited to see what this group's first book will be!

message 5: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (bookboss) | 20 comments I am working on three books right now.
Prayers the Devil Answers : physical book
Song of Renewal : ebook on my phone for when I don't want to carry my book or it is too dark to read a book
Shopaholic to the Stars : audiobook for when I am cleaning the kitchen.
These are all just books I picked for myself. I am enjoying them all for the most part! Luckily I already reached my 2016 reading goal because I set it very low :)

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 29 comments I'm half way through The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House byKate Andersen Brower The Residence Inside the Private World of the White House by Kate Andersen Brower . Two months ago I read First Women: The Grace and Power of America's Modern First Ladies First Women The Grace and Power of America's Modern First Ladies by Kate Andersen Brower by the same author. These books are both really good and I will recommend them both.

message 7: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Debbie wrote: "I'm half way through The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House byKate Andersen Brower[bookcover:The Residence: Inside the Private World of the Whit..."

I like the sound of The Residence very much. Maybe this will be a non-fiction choice for group!

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 29 comments Either one would be a good choice. They are not stuffy or difficult to read like I find some non-fiction books, plus these are all current, in my lifetime, administrations.

message 9: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Sounds like a contender!

message 10: by Pallavi (new)

Pallavi (bookfetisher) I am reading Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg and I am moving very slow. I am liking it and Its good.

I finished reading Those Pricey Thakur Girls by Anuja Chauhan , from an Indian author, which I took up as to promote the Indian writing where some buzz is going on currently. Its a typical Indian story and will be related only if you are grown up in India. Its not a literary aspiring book, but a "masala-bollywood-style" book (if u know what I mean). Almost 50% I couldn't suppress my laughter. And next 50% was almost imaginable.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.