Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Melbourne Writers Festival 26/8/16-4/9/16

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Jul 22, 2016 05:05PM) (new)

Brenda | 71748 comments Mod
Melbourne Writers Festival has a star studded line up of authors once again this year!

Included but not limited to are...

Liane Moriarty
Maxine Beneba Clarke, author of Foreign Soil
Justin Cronin, author of The Passage and The Twelve
Philippe Sands, author of East West Street: On the Origins of "Genocide" and "Crimes Against Humanity"
Elizabeth Hay, author of Alone in the Classroom
Steven Amsterdam, author of The Easy Way Out
Rajith Savanadasa, author of Ruins

Check the link for further details - http://mwf.com.au/

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1728 comments Happy festival everyone!

This morning I started my day with Rajith Savanadasa and Jennifer Down, talking about their recent releases. I was already very keen on Ruins, but now I'm looking forward to immersing myself in Our Magic Hour as well. Has anyone read it? Not many GR reviews yet.

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 71748 comments Mod
Sounds like fun Andrea! Enjoy the rest of the festival if you're going :)

message 4: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Andrea wrote: "Happy festival everyone!

This morning I started my day with Rajith Savanadasa and Jennifer Down, talking about their recent releases. I was already very keen on..."

Hi Andrea, I saw you today, entering the ACMI building but I was on the 2nd floor balcony so I couldn't yell out to you ;)

I was waiting in line to see the Miles Franklin Award winner - A.S. Patric for Black Rock White City. Interesting conversation. He talked about how difficult it was to get a publisher to read his book.

message 5: by Andrea (last edited Aug 27, 2016 04:35AM) (new)

Andrea | 1728 comments Mish wrote: "I saw you today, entering the ACMI building but I was on the 2nd floor balcony so I couldn't yell out to you ;) I was waiting in line to see the Miles Franklin Award winner - A.S. Patric ..."

Haha, yes I saw the photo you posted on Twitter. That would have been a great session. I went to a couple today and have a few more picked out for the remainder of the festival, but I've been having coughing fits all week which is not ideal in any public situation, least of all one like this! I've been sitting by the door...

Anyway, the other session I went to was Tishani Doshi and Rosalyn D'Mello, two amazing Indian writers. And I actually thought of you, Mish, when Rosalyn D'Mello read from her memoir - I think it sounds like something you would enjoy. I was tempted to go and buy it myself afterwards but it's so hard to browse, move or even BREATHE in the Readings Festival Shop.

Rosalyn D'Mello is speaking again tomorrow morning, so I'm thinking about going to that one, too.

message 6: by Mish (last edited Aug 27, 2016 06:00AM) (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Andrea wrote: "Mish wrote: "I saw you today, entering the ACMI building but I was on the 2nd floor balcony so I couldn't yell out to you ;) I was waiting in line to see the Miles Franklin Award winner - A.S. Patr..."

Oh Andrea, hope you are better soon. It is difficult to attend these session with a cough. :(

And thank you for being to my attention Rosalyn D'Mello book! I have read a few erotic memoir in the past so yes, A Handbook for My Lover is definitely something I would enjoy. And reading some reviews, it sounds like it's beautifully written.

You should go tomorrow, she would be great to hear speak. And Emily Bitto who wrote The Strays will be there too - another very talented author worth seeing.

message 7: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Andrea wrote: "Mish wrote: "I saw you today, entering the ACMI building but I was on the 2nd floor balcony so I couldn't yell out to you ;) I was waiting in line to see the Miles Franklin Award winner - A.S. Patr..."

I bought A Handbook for My Lover yesterday Andrea. Looking forward to reading it :)

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1728 comments Mish wrote: "I bought A Handbook for My Lover yesterday Andrea. Looking forward to reading it :) ..."

Me too. When I had a look around online it didn't seem to be very widely available so I thought I'd better take the opportunity to grab a copy.