The Newbery Award and Honor Book Club discussion

Group Discussions > Self-advocacy/speaking up

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 175 comments Hey, I'm putting together a book list for an August/September unit on Speaking Up/Advocacy. Any suggestions? So far, Fish In A Tree and Speak come to mind.

message 2: by Joy (last edited Jul 20, 2016 05:35PM) (new)

Joy | 217 comments Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper comes to mind.

*addendum*
Looked through my "read" list (all 1348 books).
Nothing but the Truth: A Documentary Novel by Avi
Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
The Giver or Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

You might also consider The Day the Crayons Quit and The Day the Crayons Came Home by Drew Daywalt as the crayons present their grievances through letters.
Imogene's Last Stand by Candace Fleming - another picture book but about a girl who fights to save the historical society house from being torn down

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 175 comments Thanks for your thought and time, Joy!

I'm definitely using Out of My Mind. I find it kind of cheesy, but it always gets a good response from the students.

The Giver is an interesting idea. I'll have to look at it again to see how well it fits. I've had the goal of trying to sneak some Sci Fi on the list, so it's a strong pick.

Princess Academy? I've been wanting to read that one since forever, so the time is now!

Avi? Groan. I found The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle and The Cross of Lead to be pretty bland and uninteresting, so it would take some persuading for me to pick up another of his books.

message 4: by Desiree', Teacher n Training (new)

Desiree' (sequoia01) | 303 comments Mod
Phil wrote: "Thanks for your thought and time, Joy!

I'm definitely using Out of My Mind. I find it kind of cheesy, but it always gets a good response from the students.

The Giver is..."

I like Avi's writing style. I haven't read True Confessions or Cross of Lead as yet, but I have read several of his books and find them full of interesting stories.

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 175 comments Hey, Joy, thanks to you I got to have a conversation about "sexy dreams" with a group of seventh graders yesterday.

I wrote it up in this review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

No regrets. #bannedbookweek

message 6: by Desiree', Teacher n Training (new)

Desiree' (sequoia01) | 303 comments Mod
Interesting stream. I never thought about self-advocacy and books to demonstrate the meaning and technique. Cool invention.

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 175 comments Here's the books I ended up using, and how they went:

The Giver: Students loved it; pretty good fit.
Rules: Students loved it; perfect fit.
Fish in a Tree: Students liked it; perfect fit.
Brown Girl Dreaming: Students liked it; good fit.
Princess Academy: Students loved it (including boys!); perfect fit.
Freak the Mighty: Studnents loved it; perfect fit.