Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Museum of Extraordinary Things > 2. What rating would you give this book, and why?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Rating

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I personally would give this book between a 2.5 & 3.0. We as readers have been given permission to write questions that apply to this book. Would like to tap into your thoughts too.

Diana S said we could do that so lets see how we are all thinking about this book. Enjoy!!!

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I gave this book 5 stars because I LOVE a book that takes me to a place I've never known and into the minds of people who are very different than the people I know. From my review: "I love novels set in an accurate historical setting and in this one I learned about early Coney Island amusements, The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, early 20th century photography, the turn of the century Jewish community in NY, struggles for worker's and women's rights in this era, and even the beginnings of the NY public library."

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments Ditto everything Cindy said!! I gave it 4 stars.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments I also wanted to add how humbling a book like this is for me. The struggles and fights of so many to 'just matter' enables me to have the life I live today. A life that often doesn't appreciate how good I have it. I really appreciate the diversity of our readership - it's opening a whole new world for me, so THANK YOU LADIES!!

message 6: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Hembroff (mhembroff) | 93 comments This isn't a book I would have picked out myself. So thanks for broadening my horizons. I found it difficult to get into the story so would only rate it a four partly due to the vivid picture the author painted with words.

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I felt it took way to long to set the story up. And it was quite a sad story looking back. ... night "dancing" in the tank, fires, false assumptions about fathers, dead girls...

3 stars