Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Good 80s/early 90s horror?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 604 comments I've recently started to get into some of the old horror authors I used to read in the 1980s/early 1990s, such as Ruby Jean Jensen.

Any recommendations for other horror authors/books from the 1980searly 90s? I think I've read all of King's stuff from back then, and a few of Koontz's and John Saul's. I've also read Night Stone, which really freaked me out when I read it in my teens. I still vividly remember parts of it.

message 2: by Char (last edited Jul 20, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

message 3: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Charlene wrote: "Yes!

Robert McCammon Swan Song Usher's Passing The Wolf's Hour

Michael McDowell The Elementals, Gilded Needles [book:The Amule..."

I concur with my esteemed colleague.

message 4: by Kelly B (last edited Jul 20, 2016 04:18PM) (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 604 comments Thanks, Charlene:-).

Of your list, I've read Swan Song, Ghost Story, and Julia (which I loved). I'll add the rest of your recommendations to my ever-growing TBR shelf.

message 5: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1615 comments Some great books already listed here, so I'll just add Incubus by Ray Russell by Ray Russell.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski by Mark Z. Danielewski.

The Cipher by Kathe Koja by Kathe Koja.

The Wolfen by Whitley Strieber by Whitley Strieber.

The Damnation Game by Clive Barker by Clive Barker.

And, finally, The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1) by F. Paul Wilson by F. Paul Wilson.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 876 comments Agree with most mentioned

Also -

Death Trance by Graham Masterton The Kidnapper by Robert Bloch Brainchild by Andrew Neiderman Books of Blood Volume One (Books of Blood #1) by Clive Barker The Baby by Stephanie Kegan Phantoms by Dean Koontz Fear by Ronald Kelly Evil by Richard O'Brien

message 7: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 604 comments Thank you:-)!!

Adding more to the ole' TBR shelf......

message 9: by Char (last edited Jul 21, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Char  | 16707 comments Mod
Seeing all these great books makes me nostalgic. I just love the horror from that time period. LOVE. IT. :)

message 10: by Laurie (last edited Jul 21, 2016 09:08AM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 876 comments Charlene wrote: "See all these great books makes me nostalgic. I just love the horror from that time period. LOVE. IT. :)"

And don't forget the movies too. We really had it made in the 80s/90s with some of these trends.

message 12: by Char (new)

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Charlene wrote: "See all these great books makes me nostalgic. I just love the horror from that time period. LOVE. IT. :)"

And don't forget the movies too. We really had it made in the 80s/90s wit..."

Yep, we really did.

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 334 comments Perhaps a bit off-topic but are there any "current" horror films that are more than worth everyone's while and up to the standards of the late '70s, early '80s (i.e. John Carpenter etc.) BTW, not a big "gore hound", here.

message 14: by Dan (new)

Dan (booknooknoggin) | 5 comments Not to get too off topic but it's kinda related...Stranger Things? Have you guys watched this yet?

message 15: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 217 comments Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Charlene wrote: "See all these great books makes me nostalgic. I just love the horror from that time period. LOVE. IT. :)"

And don't forget the movies too. We really had it made in the 80s/90s wit..."

Yeah, but there was a ton of crap, too. The problem with any boom is the cash-in, bandwagon mentality that kicks in after a few major successes. Granted, wading through occasional trash is preferable to just pining for good stuff, which we've been doing a lot lately.

message 16: by Char (new)

Dan wrote: "Not to get too off topic but it's kinda related...Stranger Things? Have you guys watched this yet?"

I have been and I'm enjoying it! There's a thread about it somewhere here, I believe.

message 18: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I'm into Episode 4 of Stranger Things and I think it's the best thing on tv (Netflix) right now. It really brings me back to my childhood. I want to binge the whole thing in one sitting but I'm trying to savor it.

message 19: by Tom (new)

Tom | 340 comments Don't forget about John Farris:
Son of the Endless Night
All Heads Turn when the Hunt Goes By

Reading Catacombs right now. Farris always has awesome words and descriptions for genitalia... in case you were wondering.

message 20: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 217 comments Can't say I was, but good to know.
Farris is sadly a blind spot for me thus far, but All Heads... sounds pretty good.

message 21: by Char (new)

Tom wrote: "Don't forget about John Farris:
Son of the Endless Night

Reading Catacombs right now. Farris always ..."

Awww, how did I forget John Farris?! I thought All Heads Turn was excellent. :)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 876 comments James wrote: "Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Yeah, but there was a ton of crap, too. The problem with any boom is the cash-in, bandwagon mentality that kicks in after a few major successes. Granted, wading through occasional trash is preferable to just pining for good stuff, which we've been doing a lot lately. "

We did. It wasn't perfect. And there are good modern horror flicks being released almost every year now. Overall though, I have to say most of my favorites were still made in the 80s and 90s if I had to count. The same for comedies.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 876 comments Tom wrote: "Don't forget about John Farris:
Son of the Endless Night

I read a Farris book this year - was planning on reading a few others. He was an author I wanted to get a decent feel for this year and see if I was officially a fan or not.

message 24: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 604 comments Tom wrote: "Don't forget about John Farris:
Son of the Endless Night

I haven't read any Harris, but All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By has GOT to be one of the best titles, ever.

Plus the cover looks pretty good too:-).

message 25: by Andy (new)

Andy Rogers | 3 comments Bob wrote: "Perhaps a bit off-topic but are there any "current" horror films that are more than worth everyone's while and up to the standards of the late '70s, early '80s (i.e. John Carpenter etc.)."

I highly recommend the original versions of ".REC" (Spanish) "Let the Right One In" (Låt den rätte komma in, Swedish) and "The Orphanage" (El orfanato, Spanish). Each of these is non-gore (some blood in Let the Right One in...it is a vampire tale after all), very spooky (especially The Orphanage), and also thought-provoking.

Good horror is hard to come by these days. :)

message 26: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 604 comments The Orphanage is wonderful:-). So is Let the Right One In.

A movie that has a 70s/early 80s setting and feel to it (I probably would've thought it was made back then if I didn't know beforehand it was made 2011 ish) is House of the Devil. It's pretty decent.

It Follows also has that retro feel to it, and is a good movie.

Carrie (brightbeautifulthings) (brightbeautifulthings) | 79 comments Christopher Pike is one of my favorite 90's horror authors. He never skimps on the gruesome, and it set my bar pretty high for gore. (No one got pushed into a pool of acid or ate ground glass in this book? Surely it's not a horror novel...)

Scavenger Hunt and Whisper of Death are two of my favorites, and Bury Me Deep does well on the human monsters (as well as being incredibly claustrophobic thanks to all the scuba diving.)

Interestingly, he also has a book called Chain Letter like Jensen. I kind of want to read it now to see if they're similar. Pike's is sort of a cross between the chain letter and I Know What You Did Last Summer urban legends.

message 28: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 85 comments This thread is so dangerous for my To Read shelf.