Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Museum of Extraordinary Things > 1, Alice Hoffman

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Have you read any Alice Hoffman Books before? Do you like her writing style?

message 2: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I have not read any of her books, but I know she is well-liked by many people! I've just never read her before.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments This is my first one. I'm almost finished with it. Her writing style took a while for me to get into. It wasn't the easiest to read with switching from italics to normal print and flashbacks, then back to 1911. Plus switching from Eddie to Coralie's story. Whew! A lot for a brain to handle! Were the italics all the flashback parts? Did I get that right? She's not my favorite to read, but I feel the story is coming together nicely for the end.

message 4: by Carol (last edited Jul 21, 2016 04:23PM) (new)

I haven't read any of her books either. Like Chelsea, she isn't my favorite either. But I know some folks that think she's a top banana. Glad we are all a little different and have different tastes. Makes life more interesting.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I've read several books by Alice Hoffman, and I've enjoyed most very much. I strongly recommend "The Dovekeepers" which is a novel that tells the story of three Jewish women who endure the 70 AD siege of Masada by the Romans.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments By the way - I met Alice Hoffman several years ago at a writers' event in Phoenix. I actually sat next to her husband at dinner. At first he didn't seem thrilled to be separated from his wife, but we eventually had a lovely discussion about books. Alice was a wonderful speaker too. I think her mix of reality and "mysticism" (for lack of a better word) is fascinating.

message 7: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Wow, Cindy!!! That would have been great!!!! What a neat experience!!!

message 8: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments This is my first A Hoffman book. I enjoy historical fiction and did not realize this was one until I read the acknowledgement at the end. I enjoyed her writing style as a change of pace. In the past I have read authors who use italics to indicate 'something' so I rather enjoyed the flashbacks to fill in the blanks. For me, it was easy to follow but sometimes the filling in was a little too detailed but at that point I could just scan... :)

message 9: by Carol (new)

Darlene wrote: "Wow, Cindy!!! That would have been great!!!! What a neat experience!!!"

Nice to see your name again. You've been missed. Hope you can be with us some more!!!!

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Darlene wrote: "Wow, Cindy!!! That would have been great!!!! What a neat experience!!!"
It was! I have a friend who's a supporter of the Kidney Foundation in Phoenix and they put this on every year. I've had the opportunity to hear and meet lots of interesting authors. Very fun!