Bloody Good Horror discussion

The Girls
This topic is about The Girls
2016 Readings > Blkclb Aug '16 The Girls by Emma Cline

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CC (new)

CC Vep (violetanimals) | 76 comments Mod
"Northern California, during the violent end of the 1960s. At the start of summer, a lonely and thoughtful teenager, Evie Boyd, sees a group of girls in the park, and is immediately caught by their freedom, their careless dress, their dangerous aura of abandon. Soon, Evie is in thrall to Suzanne, a mesmerizing older girl, and is drawn into the circle of a soon-to-be infamous cult and the man who is its charismatic leader. Hidden in the hills, their sprawling ranch is eerie and run down, but to Evie, it is exotic, thrilling, charged—a place where she feels desperate to be accepted. As she spends more time away from her mother and the rhythms of her daily life, and as her obsession with Suzanne intensifies, Evie does not realize she is coming closer and closer to unthinkable violence."

Reading Schedule:
1) Week of 8/1: Prologue - Chapter 4
-Discussion of Section 1: 8/7, discussion posted after 12pm/EST
2) Week of 8/7: Chapters 5 - 9
-Discussion of Section 2: 8/14, discussion posted after 12pm/EST
3) Week of 8/14: Chapters 10-13
-Discussion of Section 3: 8/21, discussion posted after 12pm/EST
4) Week of 8/21: Chapters 14- Part 4
-Discussion of Section 4: 8/28, discussion posted after 12pm/EST

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken Luther | 11 comments I'm going to sit this one out, I hope you all enjoy it!

message 3: by Bitchcraft (new)

Bitchcraft | 1 comments My first book club, but I couldn't resist the subject matter! Hi, everyone!

Chris Pederson | 54 comments enjoying the book so far!

message 5: by Jayson (new)

Jayson | 1 comments Hello everyone! I'm jumping in on this one too! Very interesting read so far. I'm wondering if anyone else feels like this is a little overwritten?

Otherwise I really love how the Emma Cline seems to have really thought out the psychology of a girl who might get swept up in the Manson family atmosphere. I'm looking forward to some mayhem ahead.

Chris Pederson | 54 comments I'm wondering if anyone else feels like this is a little overwritten?

part of the narration is done by a teenage girl... of course it's a little overwritten.. haha. drama!!

Leslie | 2 comments I wasn't impressed by this book. It's an interesting subject matter but this was a predictable read for me.

message 8: by CC (new)

Discussion 1 and 2:

1. What do you think of the internal dialogue of Evie?
2. Do you appreciate the transistion back and forth in time between Young Evie and Old Evie?
3. Where do you think the relationship between Evie and Sasha will go? Will it mirror Suzanne and Evie's relationship?

**General note - I'm thinking of diving the future monthly reads into a before reading, middle and then end reading since most of us seem to like to read ahead of the discussions and would rather just talk about it at the end. :)

Chris Pederson | 54 comments 1) Internal dialogue of teen.. such drama.. love it.
2) I do like the transition. It seems that even though she may not have committed any murders, she's still damaged by her time with Russell.
3) I don't think it will, I don't think that Evie has a strong enough personality.

message 10: by CC (new)

Hey guys, gotta be honest here and also apologize for the delay this month. I didnt get a chance to finish this book based on a few personal things going on, but I'm still interested to see what ya'll thought about it?

So let me know if you liked it, if you'd recommend it, if the internal teen dialogue got better for some of you? :)

Leslie | 2 comments 1. Internal dialogue was bland.

2. The transitions where welcomed. Emily Cline did a nice job of weaving past and present.

3. I don't think the relationship between Evie and Sasha will go anywhere. The ages are too different and both have fragile personalities.

I would recommend this to anyone that's up for fiction. I went into this thinking it be more horror that anything and although there was a moment toward the end where things got a little sinister that was pretty much it. The writing was ok but it did get bland with past and present Evie, as far as character development goes.