Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Past nominations (closed) > September Short Story / Anthology selection complete

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Please use this topic to nominate a Fantasy or Science Fiction Short Story, Novelette, Novella, Collection or Anthology of shorter works for our group's September discussion (beginning September 11.)

If you choose an individual story, it's very helpful if you can indicate where it's in print, either individually or in some anthology or on a website.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. If your nomination is selected by the group, you'll be expected to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: The short SF/F work may be a short story, novelette, novella, or an anthology or collection of such stories; that discussion starts the 11th of each month. The others are one "Classic" and one "Contemporary" SF/F novel; those discussion starts on the 1st & 21st of each month, respectively. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Nominations will be open through Tuesday, July 26, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) can we nominate an essay? A Hugo winner written by an SFF writer and it is now in her essay collection.

message 3: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments The Big Book of Science Fiction looks great, and is edited by one of my favourite authors, but as the name implies, it is a BIG book at 1216 pages so nominating the whole thing seems impractical. Maybe the first 5 stories, or certain works? I dunno. I'll read the whole thing eventually.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Silvana wrote: "can we nominate an essay? A Hugo winner written by an SFF writer and it is now in her essay collection."

As long as the essay is related to science fiction (and not just nonfiction by a sci-fi author), it's fine. I don't think we've ever selected non-fiction, though I think the long-absent Spooky1948 nominated a nonfiction history of sci-fi once upon a time.

Is the essay available on a blog or somewhere other than in the essay collection?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Brendan wrote: "The Big Book of Science Fiction looks great, and is edited by one of my favourite authors, but as the name implies, it is a BIG book at 1216 pages so nominating the whole thing seem..."

That is a really, really big book. Discussing all those stories would take months, I would think. But there's nothing wrong with nominating it, either complete or whatever subset you want to specify.

message 6: by Silvana (last edited Jul 21, 2016 09:01AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) G33z3r wrote: "Silvana wrote: "can we nominate an essay? A Hugo winner written by an SFF writer and it is now in her essay collection."

As long as the essay is related to science fiction (and not just nonfiction..."

The essay is "We Have Always Fought" by Kameron Hurley, which can be found in her recently released book The Geek Feminist Revolution. I have not read it thoroughly but it does address speculative fiction. And it won the Hugo for best related work - so I suppose that counts?

Plus, it also can be read here: http://aidanmoher.com/blog/featured-a...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Silvana wrote: "The essay is "We Have Always Fought" by Kameron Hurley, which can be found in her recently released book The Geek Feminist Revolution...."

I thought that might be the essay you had in mind. It's specific relation to SF&F is a little thin (a brief mention of God's War and the James Tiptree Jr. classic The Women Men Don’t See), but if the Hugo Award committee found it eligible, who am I to argue? I'll put it on the list.

BTW, if you're interested, there's an audio version, read by Hurley, on PodCastle.

message 8: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Cool, thanks for the link!

message 9: by Michael (last edited Jul 22, 2016 10:33AM) (new)

Michael | 152 comments I'm just finishing up an anthology titled Dark Beyond the Stars edited by David Gatewood. The subtitle is "A Space Opera Anthology" and while I'm not sure I would qualify all the stories as space opera, they are fun, exciting stories with some original twists to them.

message 10: by Colby (new)

Colby Craft | 5 comments I'd like to nominate A Year and a Day in Old Theradane by Scott Lynch. It is part of the Rogues anthology. I have not read this one yet but have heard really good things from several friends and I am a huge fan Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series.

message 11: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) that is a good one. I love anything from that world.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Colby wrote: "I'd like to nominate A Year and a Day in Old Theradane by Scott Lynch. It is part of the Rogues anthology. I have not read this one yet but have heard really good this..."

Technically, we "discussed" this story earlier this year: See "A Year And A Day In Old Theradane" by Scott Lynch topic. It was one of the stories in The Long List Anthology discussion

Though it might be more accurate to say we had a discussion scheduled, because I was the only one who read it. cf Sound of one hand clapping.

(And if you're interested in just that story, The Long List Anthology is a much cheaper source than Rogues; depends on which other stories you're also interested in reading.)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Reminder: Tuesday is the final day to nominate a Short Story, Novelette, Novella, Collection or Anthology of Fantasy and/or Science Fiction for our September group read and discussion.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our SF/F Short Story or Anthology discussion topic for September is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice. Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that work.

Note that this is our discussion selection for September.
This poll will be open through Tuesday, August 2.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

G33z3r wrote: "(And if you're interested in just that story, The Long List Anthology is a much cheaper source than Rogues; depends on which other stories you're also interested in reading.)..."

I missed it earlier, but you can also read "A Year and a Day in Old Theradane" free online at Uncanny Magazine (issue #5).

message 16: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Umm just realized my nomination didn't get into the list. It is okay though.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Silvana wrote: "Umm just realized my nomination didn't get into the list. It is okay though."

Dang, sorry about that. I belatedly added it; if you want to change your vote, there's a button for that.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the above nominees with the group, Tuesday is the final day to vote for one of our Short Story/Anthology Fantasy/Science Fiction novel for our April group read and discussion.

I'm a little concerned that at the moment that we have exactly one vote for each of three nominees. That old question about the sound of one hand clapping... or conversing...

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Our selected short story anthology for discussion in September is...

Dark Beyond the Stars by David Gatewood Dark Beyond the Stars edited by David Gatewood

The discussion will begin September 11.