UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Meet the Authors > Hi, I'm Michael Whateley

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments I'd like to introduce myself. My kennel name is Michael Whateley, but please, call me Mike.

Currently, I am a trucker. But most of my life was spent as a computer programmer. I've worked on many of the things you use every day. Co-op loyalty card, tills, cash cards used in schools, even fruit machines.

So I used to have an outlet for my creative spark. After the financial crisis, I had to struggle and adapt to stay in work. Currently I am a truck driver. Good job. Good pay. But not very creative. Now I write to allow my creative spirit to breathe.

I have just released a collection of twelve short horror stories called 666. I felt inspired to write that after my daughter read a short horror story of mine. I had written it for a forum I used to be a member of. I enjoyed the experience and I am happy with the result. Although I did have a few nightmares. But they just ended up in the book too. I found a wonderful editor, and cover designer for the project. I intend to use them again. I also found a way of sneaking my own, wicked, sense of humour into one of the character. Leonard Reuban, a very sarcastic grim reaper. One of my favourite characters in the book.

Currently I am working on a much longer piece called Desert Swarm. This is based on an ex military character called Stephen Blackwood. Stephen has a charter boat that he lives on in Scotland. Because of his military connections, he finds himself mixed up in a race to stop a rogue General. Action, Adventure, shooting, explosions. That sort of thing.

I find writing action/adventure books easier. I spent six years in the military. Mainly in the infantry. So I am fully aware of how it feels to handle weapons, struggle over rough terrain with excessive amounts of kit, and have a challenger tank nearly run you over. Not fun that part.

I hope my writing brings a smile to someone's face, and please feel free to let me know how you feel about my writing, my life, or my posts. Good or bad. Looking forward to meeting you.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9132 comments Hello Mike and welcome to your author thread. I expect someone will be along shortly to set fire to the curtains (that tends to happen around here, sorry about that) Otherwise we are a friendly bunch.

Might I suggest you put your full name in the thread title? Makes it easier for people to find you (and we have other Mikes too) Thanks!

message 3: by Anna (last edited Jul 20, 2016 08:44AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1741 comments Welcome, Mike. This is not only a friendly forum, sharing lots of chat, but also very helpful.

Hope you enjoy your time with us.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments Thank you Anna, for the warm welcome.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1741 comments By the way, Rosemary is not completely mad. When I set up my author thread, not only did they burn my curtains but they moved in a herd of elephants.

Here it is https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

and you'll see that elephants get a mention by message #2 and then there's rampaging elephants everywhere.

Sit back and enjoy the ride!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I have a couple of spare elephants still...

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1741 comments See, Michael! Tip: it's best just to say thank you and find somewhere to put them.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments Thank you for the elephants. Although they do look a little drunk.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Its ok, it'll wear off in a few hours. And be careful while they are hung over - a grumpy elephant is no joke!

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments On the plus side, since the weather is hot, I'm glad to see they've brought their trunks. They can go swimming now.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9132 comments "not completely mad". Oh well, I'll take that as a compliment :)

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments You might not be completely mad, but I'm sure with practise you'll get there. I have a feeling there is plenty of scope for practise in this group.

Keep giving me elephants. I am herding them. Then I will take them over the Alps, and defeat those pesky Romans. No one will have thought of doing that yet.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9132 comments You'll need a lot of elephants to sit on every single Roman. Or is there a better way of fighting with elepants?

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9132 comments Haha elepants! Too good to edit

message 16: by Michael (last edited Jul 20, 2016 11:06PM) (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments Elepants, underwear with a trunk on the front.

Each elephant has four feet and a trunk. That's five Romans pinned per Elephant. That's doable.

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1741 comments Michael wrote: "Elepants, underwear with a trunk on the front.

Each elephant has four feet and a trunk. That's five Romans pinned per Elephant. That's doable."

Rule Britannia!

Sorry, Michael, we've infected you already.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments "What have the romans ever done for us?"

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern wrote: ""What have the romans ever done for us?""

Imported grapes? Shlurp.

Um, hi Michael.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I'll just park this here for a little while...

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1741 comments Oh... gorgeous! Best ele ever.

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern wrote: ""What have the romans ever done for us?""

Roads, goverment, modern society. If it wasn't for those pesky Romans, we'd still be living in those lovely caves. I miss my cave. Damn you Romans.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern wrote: "I'll just park this here for a little while...

"

Now that's a happy elephant.

message 24: by Gingerlily - The Full Wild (last edited Jul 21, 2016 06:28AM) (new)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Sounds like you think the Romans thoroughly deserve a good elephanting.

message 26: by Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (last edited Jul 21, 2016 06:30AM) (new)

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9132 comments Don't forget they brought the bloomin rabbit to Britain also. Bane of gardeners and farmers everywhere. edit Romans brought rabbits that is, not elephants

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments What, the elephants brought rabbits? Why?

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern wrote: ""

May I remind you Biological warfare is banned under the Geneva Convention.

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern wrote: "What, the elephants brought rabbits? Why?"

Britain was cold, Elephants wore rabbits like a fur coat.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Michael wrote: "Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern wrote: "What, the elephants brought rabbits? Why?"

Britain was cold, Elephants wore rabbits like a fur coat."

Now thats a delightful mental picture...

message 31: by Michael (last edited Jul 21, 2016 06:52AM) (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments Patiently waiting for a picture of an elephant covered in rabbits

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Would a rabbit covered in elephants do?

message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern wrote: ""

Now we know how they transported the rabbit to Britain.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I can't help feeling it should be a pea-green boat...

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern wrote: "I can't help feeling it should be a pea-green boat..."

Think that was an owl and pussey cat.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Ah yes :)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Rabbits are meant for wiping your arse, aren't they? Doesn't stick to their fur, so I've heard.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Hmmmm...

Rabbit fur curtains. There's a thought...

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Do you wipe your bum on your curtains?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Doesn't everyone?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Oh so thats why you burn curtains all the time! I did wonder. And no, the rest of us use swans necks.

message 43: by Michael (new)

Michael Whateley | 54 comments Personally I prefer sand paper. The smoother kind of course. I'm not a masochist. Reminds me of Military Barracks.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Tracing paper always reminds me of school. Why would you make toilet paper out of something that is exactly the opposite of absorbant?

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Izal is the best for tracing paper! Used to use it all the time when I was little.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments We used it extensively in geography class for mapmaking and the like.

message 47: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1741 comments It might take you a while to get your thread back, Michael, but hang on in there. One day they come to collect their elephants, give you new curtains and then find their next victim.

You'll miss us all then.

message 48: by Anna (last edited Jul 21, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1741 comments Did I say'victim? I meant friend.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Oh by the way Michael, I spent 28 years as a computer programmer. Haven't done any truck driving though.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments We will return his thread in exchange for bacon and rum.

« previous 1