What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical fiction, set in modern day Britain witchcraft, herbs, ghost of girl trialled as a witch [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 10 comments I read this book back in 2001. It's an adult historical fiction set in England or Scotland about a lady who moves into a cottage. She learns a lot about herbs and uses for healing, magic etc. There is a ghost of a young girl who was executed as a witch, I remember there was a device called a brank mentioned a lot.

I don't really remember much about the plot but there is a lot of description about herbs in this book.

It's not Barbara Erskines hiding in the light but very similar.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36031 comments Mod
Hiding from the Light by Barbara Erskine - very similar to this book

Julie, does the heroine time-travel back to the past or have visions/dreams about the past? Or does the story start in the past (when?) and then switch to modern Britain?

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 10 comments The heroine has visions of the past I think, the events of the witch trial may have occurred in the house she's in or close by. No time travel involved.

message 4: by Mary (last edited Jul 22, 2016 07:01PM) (new)

Mary | 39 comments Sounds a lot like The Juniper Game by Sherryl Jordan

Juniper is very interested in medieval things - scents her room with herbs etc. She enlists Dylan to draw things that she telepathically sends him. They prove that telepathy is real! Then Juniper meditates while Dylan draws and has visions of a girl in the past who was accused of being a witch, and events in her life start to match up with the events of the past-girl's life.

message 5: by Myst (new)

Myst | 48 comments Could it be a Maggie Shayne book? She has a few witch books. Immortality is one witch series by her.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie | 10 comments It's neither of those books. It's so frustrating! I can't really remember anything in great detail except when the girl trialled as the witch was tortured by this brank device placed over her face.

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments Witch by Barbara Michaels? Or one of her other books? This is definitely her genre.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie | 10 comments I found it! It's Dark Sister by Graham Joyce. I just kept googling until I managed to find it.

https://kelseyexcelsiorsbookreview.wo...

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36031 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Julie. Here's the Goodreads link - Dark Sister by Graham Joyce.