Science and Inquiry discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club 2016 > September 2016 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1762 comments Mod
Please post a comment below to nominate a book for the group to read for September 2016.

Please use the "add book/author" link just above the comment box to insert a link to the Goodreads book page for the book you are nominating, so other members can more easily assess it.

You may nominate a book which has been suggested previously and did not win. You may nominate more than one book, but we may not include all of your nominations.

Please do not nominate a book which is unlikely to be available to all members, such as one which was just published within the last three months or which is only available on Kindle.

Nominations will close on July 25 or when we have about 10 good nominations, whichever occurs first.

message 2: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 9 comments I'd like to nominate Nick Lane's The Vital Question: Energy, Evolution, and the Origins of Complex Life. I find it very exciting delving into the very biochemistry of evolution of the first life forms existing on earth.

Sorry, I'm not sure how to make a link to the book on this comment however.

message 4: by Elentarri (new)

Elentarri Susanne wrote: "Sorry, I'm not sure how to make a link to the book on this comment however"

You click on the add book/author link at the top of the comment block.
The Vital Question: Energy, Evolution, and the Origins of Complex Life

message 6: by Jean (new)

Jean Constant (jconstant) | 8 comments Not really a book, but a significant contribution to Science and Inquiry methodology. It is the descriptive of a PBL (project-based learning) study that involved the collaboration of three teachers (general studies, language, and information technology, the school librarian and 4 students. More work for some maybe, better results for all:
Kai W. S. Chu (2009) Inquiry project-based learning with a partnership of three types of teachers and the school librarian. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. Volume 60, Issue 8, pages 1671–1686, August 2009.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10...

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Cunningham (dcunning11235) More history/biography, but I've been meaning to get to Endless Frontier: Vannevar Bush, Engineer of the American Century

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

My nomination is Our Mathematical Universe by Max Tegmark

message 11: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Kornele (bkornele) | 19 comments I don't post often in this form but I do read the nominated books I am interested in. I nominate The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos I also like the idea of reading Our Mathematical Universe: My Quest for the Ultimate Nature of Reality

message 12: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Bryan wrote: "I don't post often in this form but I do read the nominated books I am interested in. I nominate The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos I also like th..."

We already read The Hidden Reality, for September 2012. Here is the discussion thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 13: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Shawnie wrote: "Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at War"

Unfortunately, this book is too new for our selections, having just been published in June.

message 14: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Jean wrote: "Not really a book, but a significant contribution to Science and Inquiry methodology. It is the descriptive of a PBL (project-based learning) study that involved the collaboration of three teachers..."

Jean, I don't think this 15 page article really qualifies for our regular group read. However, it does look interesting. If you would like, you could set up a separate thread -- under the Issues in Science folder, maybe entitled "Education" -- where those who want to discuss this article could do so.

message 15: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie Sorry about that, Betsy. How about An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth?

message 16: by Jean (new)

Jean Constant (jconstant) | 8 comments Betsy wrote: "Jean wrote: "Not really a book, but a significant contribution to Science and Inquiry methodology. It is the descriptive of a PBL (project-based learning) study that involved the collaboration of t..."
Hum... I click reply under Betsy comment on my suggestion - it opens a comment box under Shawnie's text - Sorry about that Shawnie. All the same - good advice Betsy. Thanks

message 17: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Kornele (bkornele) | 19 comments Betsy where is the list of already read books for the group? I either over looked it or I just don't how to find them. Thanks for your help.

message 18: by Mark (new)

Mark H | 7 comments There are already some excellent books up for consideration and, to these, I'd like to add two books by Elizabeth Kolbert, including The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History and Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature, and Climate Change

message 19: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie Bryan wrote: "Betsy where is the list of already read books for the group? I either over looked it or I just don't how to find them. Thanks for your help."

https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Go to "Bookshelf" and "Read." That shelf will show you the 93 books read and what month.

message 20: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Mark wrote: "There are already some excellent books up for consideration and, to these, I'd like to add two books by Elizabeth Kolbert, including The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History and [..."

We already read The Sixth Extinction, in September 2014. Here is the discussion thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 21: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Jean wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Jean wrote: "Not really a book, but a significant contribution to Science and Inquiry methodology. It is the descriptive of a PBL (project-based learning) study that involved the coll..."

Jean, Goodreads does not use nested commenting. When you reply to my comment, it just puts your reply as the next comment in the entire thread even if it's hundreds of comments below mine. However, it does include a snippet quote from my comment.

message 22: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Shawnie wrote: "Go to "Bookshelf" and "Read." That shelf will show you the 93 books read and what month."

Actually better would be to go to Bookshelf and Book Club. That will show you all the books that the group has selected, including the ones we're currently reading and the ones upcoming. Under "read" there are sometimes books that a single member has read, but not the group (until I can get to them and fix them).

message 24: by Jean (new)

Jean Constant (jconstant) | 8 comments Betsy wrote: "Jean wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Jean wrote: "Not really a book, but a significant contribution to Science and Inquiry methodology. It is the descriptive of a PBL (project-based learning) study that invo..."
Betsy, I'm still learning the site navigation. Thanks for being a good - and patient - moderator.

message 26: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Nominations are now closed. Please vote for your choice at the following poll:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Voting will close on July 29, 2016.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.