Play Book Tag discussion

July's People
This topic is about July's People
Archive: Other Books > July's People by Nadine Gordimer - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 485 comments July's People by Nadine Gordimer
4/5 stars

July's people is a fictional account about the end of apartheid in South Africa. July is a live-in servant to the Smales family when war breaks out and they have to flee. With no time to pack and very little options they decide to go to July's small rural village. Once in July's village changes occur at a fast past including role reversals for master and servant. I thought this was a well written book with good character development.

One of the scenes that stuck with me most is when Maureen went outside at night in the rain, got naked so as to feel like she was taking a shower. Not only was she washing away the dirt but I think it was a cleansing of sorts.

There are some similarities of this book to The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Father making the decision to leave, adjusting to a new world especially the moms, malaria and the pills, being an outsider in a community and family.

message 2: by Denizen (new) - added it

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Diane wrote: "July's People by Nadine Gordimer
4/5 stars

July's people is a fictional account about the end of apartheid in South Africa. July is a live-in servant to the Smales family when war breaks out and ..."

Good review! I've owned this book for years. I've read several of her books and really enjoyed them but haven't picked one up for ages. I should try to bump this one up on my list.