Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5879 comments Elizabeth has some good ideas in this thread. Also it would be wonderful if we can have some common examples of what is not an award by GR standards.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7169 comments Thanks, Carol.

Something needs to be added to manual about editing the award on the book page. Also, there is nothing in the manual about entering a description for the award itself.

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5879 comments Could something go in the manual that grants awarded are not what GR means by an award?

message 4: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 15, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7169 comments Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛ wrote: "Could something go in the manual that grants awarded are not what GR means by an award?"

I'm not certain they should make such a blanket statement. The one you asked about is not an award by GR standards, but I would feel more comfortable looking at each one individually.

In the manual: A literary award should be presented periodically by a recognized literary source such as a writers' organization, book council, library association, publishing house, or major review site and should be subjectively selected by that source.

As with all other aspects of doing librarian work, we can always ask when the situation seems a bit muddy. There is so much to be done. Sometimes I'm willing to leave something to perk a bit and do something else in the meantime instead.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7169 comments Let me add to that about the grants. In the specific case we were looking at, it appeared that the grant was given to an author/artist for the purpose of creating work. I can envision a grant being given for a completed (or almost completed) manuscript prior to publication. In this latter case, because there is a specific title/work involved, it is different than the grant that goes to an author for the purpose of starting work or doing research for a work.

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5879 comments Just my opinion, but I think it is easy for authors to genuinely believe that the awards field is where they put grants received.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7169 comments Well, it's my opinion that authors shouldn't be allowed to put anything in the awards section. But so far it hasn't done any good for me to request they be blocked.

message 8: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Monroy | 5 comments Is this the thread where I can report a book I wanted to nominate but I got a message not published in US but it was!

message 9: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 3782 comments Nadine wrote: "Is this the thread where I can report a book I wanted to nominate but I got a message not published in US but it was!"

Nadine, you can post it here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 10: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Monroy | 5 comments Moloch wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Is this the thread where I can report a book I wanted to nominate but I got a message not published in US but it was!"

Nadine, you can post it here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/..."

Thank you Moloch!