YA LGBT Books discussion

YA only Discussion zone. > Thriller/Horror/Mystery with LGBTQ+ Character

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Izaya (last edited Jul 19, 2016 10:00PM) (new)

Izaya (izayagoesrawr) | 1 comments Hi there! Im new here and looking for a book thats NOT centered on the struggles of being LGBTQ+.

Im more or less looking for something thriller themed or horror or a mystery with a LGBTQ+ Main character or side character.

message 2: by Wes (last edited Jul 19, 2016 04:02PM) (new)

Wes Benchoff | 5 comments Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Grey is the obvious choice, it has overt homosexual overtones and horror themes without it being the focus of the book.

Not sure how old you are but I read it in hs and Wilde's been a fav ever since.

message 3: by Zandra (last edited Jul 19, 2016 10:13PM) (new)

Zandra | 10 comments I have a lot of recommendations for
for mystery and not a lot for horror unfortunately. Some of these are not young adult. I hope that is okay. I am not good at summarizing things so I included the basics.

Young adult
More Happy Than Not
It is a mystery because the narrator is unreliable because he has memory loss. It is one of those books about how hard its is to lgbtia but not really. books more about accepting
yourself and the consequence that comes with trying to erase who you are.

The raven cycle by Maggie Stiefvater is a great series. Rowan on of the main characters is gay. It a paranormal mystery that deals with psychics and mythology.

Teeth
this book has horror and mystery themes. It has to do with an island that has magical fish that cure diseases. The mystery has to do with the mermaid boy. He is not a typical mermaid because he is not pretty and he is the only one of his kind. The mystery has to do with why he is half fish and about the island. Horror is how people treat him for protecting the fish and being half human.

Foxes by suki fleet
The main character is homeless. He is homeless because of learning disability that makes it difficult to interact with outside world.
Dashiel his friend who is a prostitute is found dead in a dumpster.
Danny is trying to find his killer by watching sharks or people who prey on the innocent. It is also a romance novel.

I also recommend this is not a love story by this author. It has some mystery elements. It is a very depressing book and is hard to read because it deals with homeless teenagers.

message 4: by Wes (last edited Jul 19, 2016 09:14PM) (new)

Wes Benchoff | 5 comments Holy hell seconding More Happy Than Not that book actually brought tears to my eyes. Bring tissues for that sucker.

message 5: by dolly (new)

dolly (cryptided) bleeding earth by kaitlin ward, the moth diaries by Rachel Klein, the abyss surrounds us, shallow graves
I'm not sure about the author for the last 2 and I'm on mobile so I can't rlly check but they're all in my lgbt shelf
hope these help!!

message 6: by dolly (new)

dolly (cryptided) oh also far from you by tess sharp and the paying guests by Sarah waters (both mystery)!!

message 7: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments I'd argue that Before I Let Go counts as a thriller. There's a conspiracy of silence/false narrative plot in a small community and the protagonist is trying to uncover the truth.