Play Book Tag discussion

July 2016: Biography Memoir > Notorious RBG - Carmon/ Knizhnik - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (last edited Jul 21, 2016 09:01AM) (new)

Jgrace | 3062 comments Notorious RBG The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg by Irin Carmon
The Notorious RBG:The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg - Carmon/Knizhnik
3.5 stars

I enjoyed this book, which I originally bought as an inexpensive kindle special. I enjoyed it in the way I already laughed at Ruth Baby Ginsburg costumes and Kate McKinnon’s SNL sketches. The authors of this book are ardent feminists and RBG cheerleaders. They have provided some important biographical, political, and legal background alongside many of the popular RGB memes that keep her name in the public eye. The book is entertaining and a reasonably good introduction to an important American. It is not a scholarly biography. It makes no attempt to be unbiased.

The kindle edition of this book was disappointing because it did not duplicate cartoon captions, sidebar commentary, or timelines and charts in any way that made them readable. All of these visuals provide interesting commentary, occasionally useful information, as well as adding to the fun. I spent time looking at and reading the extra tidbits once I had a hard copy in my hands. But, even with the change in format, I found the writing of this book uneven, at best. The text seemed to jump, illogically, through the timeline of Judge Ginsburg’s life. It was not always clear which court decision, which teaching position or even which decade was being referred to as the text meandered like a casual conversation. Although the informal nature of this book added to its entertainment value, it left me wanting something more methodical and academic. Justice Ginsburg deserves it.

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Tyler (doulton) I am sorry that you got this on Kindle. The hard copy is much better; overall, it's more like an extended fan letter than a serious biography.
I totally agree with you about the lack of clarity and cohesiveness. Excellent review!

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3062 comments Natalie wrote: "I am sorry that you got this on Kindle. The hard copy is much better; overall, it's more like an extended fan letter than a serious biography.
I totally agree with you about the lack of clarity an..."

Thanks! I did get a hard copy, which did make it more fun to read. I would have missed Marty Ginsburg's pork loin recipe without it. Apparently, Justice Ginsburg isn't kosher.