Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) Me Before You discussion

will traynor must come back

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mary Ste will should never die. watching the movie trailer i feel hope that he is going to live. and then i am depressed by the unexpected ending. i wish they could bring him back in a sequel and in a third book alive

Jennifer It was still an awesome book!

message 3: by Mary (last edited Jul 19, 2016 11:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Ste i was devastated by will's death. he should have wanted to live and stay with lou his family and his friend nathan. i still hope we will see him alive somehow in the future. i cross my fingers and wait for a third book and a sequel movie with sam claflin repsrising his role

drowningmermaid Mary wrote: "i was devastated by will's death. he should have wanted to live and stay with lou his family and his friend nathan. i still hope we will see him alive somehow in the future. i cross my fingers and ..."

Um. I really think that would undermine a lot of the whole point of this book. It really ISN'T a romance-novel romance, wherein everyone gets everything they want in 60 thousand words or less. Romantic love is only one piece of life, and for a lot of people it isn't the main thing. The central binding question here isn't "Will they get together" but rather "What does it mean to have the right to die?" That's what every single character (even the side ones) have to face and ask themselves.

I mean, I absolutely wanted him to live, too, but the point is it was his choice. Being a quadriplegic isn't a "cure." It's a stop-gap measure. For a lot of people, you WILL die of complications due to quadriplegia, but not before emptying your bank account, losing all your friends, work, and hobbies, and going through years of humiliating and hideous medical procedures.

That's the reality. That said, I would absolutely want to live as long as I could as a quadriplegic. It just has to do with how much you value physical autonomy. Some people "are" their bodies far more than others. Me, less so. But I could never judge someone for not wanting to live.

(Also we totally saw the body and had the funeral so if Will comes back I think that is cheapness itself.)

message 5: by Mary (last edited Jul 21, 2016 09:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Ste we didn't actually saw the body and the funeral. in will and lou's last scene we just saw them holding hands. and then after we saw lou in paris. so i'm just saying that he could return in a sequel. because his death could be just someone of the character's imagination of how life could be without will. as fas as if he whether will had the right to die....well i will answer you this.he had all the reasons to live. i am not saying he wasn't suffering. but he could fight as long as he could.because lou,nathan and his family really loved him and he loved them too. he loved lou. i can see that he wanted to be as his old self but he could have a good life a happy life with lou. they-will and lou-deserve a happy ending. when you watch the trailer there's a song line that says:it's gonna get easier.i will not judge the pain that will traynor feels .i am just saying he could be happy with lou.this is that kind of love. and the movie shows us that they love each other in so many ways. so i cross my fingers and waiting for somehow will to come back and sam claflin reprise his role as will traynor. it's an epic love in my opinion.that's the message for me.

drowningmermaid Mary wrote: "we didn't actually saw the body and the funeral. in will and lou's last scene we just saw them holding hands. and then after we saw lou in paris. so i'm just saying that he could return in a sequel..."

You know, I haven't seen the movie. But I bet if you read the book his decision would make more sense. Some critics of the movie felt that it was actually a little insulting to quadriplegics because of his decision at the end. But having Will come back is definitely not a logical sequel for the book (there IS a sequel, btw,) and the author did not write the book intending for there to BE a sequel...

It's hard for me, too, though because I ship this couple, definitely.

Mary Ste look my friend the author wanted at some point two write two different endings but the publisher said no. in the second book we see what happens after will's death. and even so the whole book is connected with will. we see his daughter. unfortunately we see a love interest for lou but we fortunately don't see them staying together cos lou is leaving. in the first book we see will's sister georgina but in the movie they left that part. all i am saying is that there is a way for a sequel. they could depict will's death in the first movie as sth that lou was imaginining and made her sad. and the events of the second book of how things were after his death are in lou's imagination too. the movie could start with will talking to lou all the movie along and in the end we could find out that lou was dreaming these and that will is actually alive. they can bring him back. believe me my friend art is art and anything is possible. most of us,the funs we all love will traynor and i think this means a lot. so just cross your fingers and have faith mate!!!!!