Persephone Books discussion

Reuben Sachs > My two cents

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 4 comments So this was one of the books I had my eye on for awhile. Hoity toity people (at least to each other) who may have been otherwise marginalized. I'll admit for a such a small book it was a bit slow going for me. But I loved her descriptions and imagery. The foreword on this helped a lot!

I did enjoy the characters, no one too good or too bad. I would've like to hear more about Judith, and the chubby cheerful cousin. I feel like there was more that could've been discussed, but I appreciate that no words were minced or wasted.

tl;dr: Characters and imagery great. Some might find it too lean, others may find it just right!

message 2: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 86 comments I'm about half way through. I think I'm in the "too lean" camp. I'm enjoying it, but I'm finding it interesting rather than involving. The style seems a little distant. I do like Judith, and cousin Rose.

message 3: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 86 comments Just finished and I enjoyed the second half much more! A lot of the characters in the first half seemed to be there just to make a point, but in the second half we focused much more on Judith's situation. I gave it 4 stars in the end.