Support for Indie Authors discussion

After Life
This topic is about After Life
Archived Workshop No New Posts > Critique for my trailer?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Matthew Culberson | 15 comments Matthew Culberson

Hello everyone!

I've been playing around with a trailer for my book. Any and all comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbsmA...

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 241 comments Feels very existential. I love the phone ringing and then getting "The number you are trying to reach is not available at this time."

Matthew Culberson | 15 comments Heidi wrote: "Feels very existential. I love the phone ringing and then getting "The number you are trying to reach is not available at this time.""

Thanks for the feedback!

message 4: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd (author74) | 3 comments Very polished-looking. I agree, I think the ending is superb. I'm wondering what you might think about switching the order of the type and pics. Is it possible to lead the photos with type...for example, "the field" is followed by the picture of the field instead of the other way around, so that the pics and type don't seem out of order. Just my two-cents...but I really dig the overall feel of the trailer.

Matthew Culberson | 15 comments Lloyd wrote: "Very polished-looking. I agree, I think the ending is superb. I'm wondering what you might think about switching the order of the type and pics. Is it possible to lead the photos with type...for ex..."

Hello Lloyd. Good point. I actually thought about that and stuck with the way it is. Maybe it's the wrong call, but I like the picture coming first. Originally I had a voice-over saying the words, but it just didn't sound right. Thanks for taking the time to watch it and for the feedback!

MC

message 6: by H.E. (new)

H.E. Bulstrode (goodreadscomhebulstrode) | 84 comments A suitably chilling soundtrack to accompany your trailer. It looks pretty good. Have you experimented with this kind of video trailer previously? If so, what sort of impact do you think it had? Has anyone else here tried it before? I'm thinking of doing something similar for something next spring, but the use of music and copyright could also be an issue.

Matthew Culberson | 15 comments H.E. wrote: "A suitably chilling soundtrack to accompany your trailer. It looks pretty good. Have you experimented with this kind of video trailer previously? If so, what sort of impact do you think it had? Has..."

Hello H.E.

Just uploaded this trailer two days ago, so I am still seeing what kind of impact it will have going forward. Copyright issues aren't a problem because I use incompetech.com, which is royalty free music. I forgot to note that on my youtube page. Off to do that now!

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 241 comments H.E. wrote: "A suitably chilling soundtrack to accompany your trailer. It looks pretty good. Have you experimented with this kind of video trailer previously? If so, what sort of impact do you think it had? Has..."

When you do decide to create your trailer, be sure that you use sites like graphicstock, or Pixaby or such to get royalty-free video, images, and music. Or if you know a musician, you can offer to add a link to their music for permission to use their music. I did that with my trailer The Hunters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPIY9...

message 9: by H.E. (new)

H.E. Bulstrode (goodreadscomhebulstrode) | 84 comments Thanks for the mention of incompetech.com Matthew. I'll take a look. Good luck with amending your YouTube page!

message 10: by H.E. (new)

H.E. Bulstrode (goodreadscomhebulstrode) | 84 comments Hi Heidi,

Thanks for the useful advice regarding the different sources for video, images and music. I'll explore them nearer the time. I do have a couple of specific pieces of seventeenth-century music in mind, so suspect that royalty free recordings could be tricky to come by. I'll take a look at your trailer.

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 241 comments H.E. wrote: "Hi Heidi,

Thanks for the useful advice regarding the different sources for video, images and music. I'll explore them nearer the time. I do have a couple of specific pieces of seventeenth-century ..."

Actually, that would probably be easier as they are now covered under creative commons licenses. You would be surprised! That is why when e-readers came out so many re-releases of the classics followed, because they are no longer copyrighted.

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina Smith (cnsmithauthor1) | 21 comments I liked it very much. The only thing that I saw was when the words came up, "my room", a picture of a baseball stadium followed , then it said, "my stadium" and then the picture that follows is one from the inside of a car with a rainy windshield.

So I think I can see what's happening. You may just be one picture short in your trailer, once you insert it, everything should line up just right.

Other than that, I really think it was very well executed. Well done!

Matthew Culberson | 15 comments Christina wrote: "I liked it very much. The only thing that I saw was when the words came up, "my room", a picture of a baseball stadium followed , then it said, "my stadium" and then the picture that follows is one..."

I could see how that would be confusing, and since you're the second person that has mentioned that, I broke down and made the change. Here's the edit. Let me know what you think if you get a chance.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me feedback!

https://youtu.be/rU9DfPoQr5E