What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > MG or YA, girl pretends to be a boy in a Persia inspired desert setting

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Sweigart | 4 comments I read this book in 1994 or 1995, which was junior high for me, and I recall it being aimed at approximately that age group. The book was a mass market paperback, but i dont recall the publisher. I think the cover had yellow trim with a bluish center, and a sylized horse and rider in the center.

The main character was a girl, but after leaving home she dressed as a boy. I believe she was the only sister in a family of several brothers. It was set in a sort of Fantasy Persia type desert, though I don't recall if there was actually magic. She becomes the sevant/companion to a prince in a desert city. It's possible they fell in love by the end?

I remember a scene where the main character and the prince were in a public sauna or bath and she was scared of her real gender being revealed. I believe she may have run away from home after her caravan or village was attacked. She and the prince rode horses in the desert.

I wish I could remember more. I hope someone can help me find this book. Hopefully I haven't conflated multiple books!

message 3: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee (jrsygrl626) | 189 comments You're description of the cover reminds me of some of the older covers for The Blue Sword, but your story doesn't match except for the desert-like setting.

message 4: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee (jrsygrl626) | 189 comments I just read some reviews for Seven Daughters and one of them talks about the bath scene you remember.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Sweigart | 4 comments This sounds really promising. I'm going to try seven daughters & seven sons and see if it's the right one. Thank you so much!

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Melissa, be sure to let us know if you found your book. We like to keep looking, if it isn't. If it is your book we like to mark the thread as Solved. Thanks,

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 839 comments Sounds like the Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce;
Song of the Lioness
1. Alanna (1983)
2. In the Hand of the Goddess (1984)
3. The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (1986)
     aka The Girl Who Rides Like a Man
4. Lioness Rampant (1988)

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Sweigart | 4 comments I'm sorry, I've got a hold on it at the library. I'll update once I read it. Thanks again for the help!

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40168 comments Mod
Melissa, are you still looking for this or did you find it? Was it "Seven Daughters and Seven Sons"?